What is the differnce between an open contract and closed contract?
Create Post

What is the differnce between an open contract and closed contract?

Goodmoring Marines Iv been DEP'd since Febuary and I have no idea what the differnce is between the two. I think it has somthing to do with my MOS in the future but im not sure exactly how it affects me, Im currently waiting until the new fiscal year for 03 jobs to be avabile in October and I ship for MCRDPI on Oct. 3rd. Thank you for your time in advance.

Open Contract is when you sign the papers with no specific job field in mind. One thing you'll hear us say is to NEVER ship with an open contract because the Corps will assign you where they need you. Now you could get a job you like, or a job you won't. It's a gamble.

Also, it's normal to sign an open contract at MEPS, and then to go to your recruiting station and sign the Statement of Understanding where you have picked a specific field to go into. Then you're Open Contract is voided and you'd see that when you actually ship to bootcamp while at MEPS.

One is closed and the other is open! No, sorry, couldn't resist, but in all seriousness, an open contract is no contract. You join and the Marine Corps will place you where they see fit. Sometimes it is based on test scores, sometimes the need of the Corps at the moment.

So if you join open contract, you may become a grunt or a truck driver, amtracs, administration, legal beagle, etc...

Closed contract is a signed contract between you and the Corps where you will receive initial training for the mos you signed up for. Whether you go to more advanced training usuallyd depends on how well you did in your initial training.

If you joined closed contract or what we used to call guaranteed contract, then that's what you are going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dizark View Post
    Open Contract is when you sign the papers with no specific job field in mind. One thing you'll hear us say is to NEVER ship with an open contract because the Corps will assign you where they need you. Now you could get a job you like, or a job you won't. It's a gamble.

Also, it's normal to sign an open contract at MEPS, and then to go to your recruiting station and sign the Statement of Understanding where you have picked a specific field to go into. Then you're Open Contract is voided and you'd see that when you actually ship to bootcamp while at MEPS.

This is what is being done to me currently so I can finally DEP in. As soon as jobs open up in Oct for reserves I have top pick and eventually being shipped within weeks

Just be careful. If it is not in writing, it means nothing. Case in point, my older brother joined with an open and verbal guarantee to MP school. He was an 0331, which there is nothing wrong with that, but carrying a machine gun all over the pacific is a lot different than waving cars on base.

Thank you Marines and Soontohave, I found out my contact is still open and my recuiter is trying to find an 03 contact for me as soon as one opens up we'll close the contact and ship to boot.

Thread Information