Camp schwab, Okinawa - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cars, if I remember correctly, were crazy expensive to own. Not to buy, though! Just that $4000 registration and $20/gallon gasoline on a $600 car was freakin' insane!

You can purchase cars anywhere from $1 to $50,000 and up. Just depends on what you are looking for and where you get it from. 99% of the time if you buy from another service member who's got orders to PCS, you can snag their car for around $500, sometimes even a case of beer.

Vehicle registration isn't to bad, the JCI is the most expensive part. JCI is a in/out inspection of the car to ensure it's road worthy, the absolute rough price for this inspection can cost around $500 and can be done at just about any auto shop on the island. Road tax is a annual fee and is generally April to April and costs between $30 to $120, depending on the vehicle (higher factory rated horsepower vehicles pay a higher fee) and is based on your license plate number (ie: plates 10-50 are "K" cars or "yellow plates" and are the cheapest, much like eco-green cars in the U.S. and 300-800 plates are around $120 for higher performance cars).

If you buy a car while there it's best to find one at the lemon lot on Kadena just a block from the main PX/BX. Find one that's got a fresh JCI with close to 2 years left and don't spend over $2,000. Biggest mistake that people always do is buy a car that they have to JCI, they pay to much for the car and then when they have to leave they can't get rid of it to make their money back. There's plenty of cars out there for cheap and also expensive ones. Average price for a decent condition car at a private dealership out there is around $4,000.

Most dealerships will offer things such as, small body repair prior to purchase, JCI, plates, and sometimes paint. Basically, if you decide to go this route you can show up at one of these lots and drive away with a car and a temp plate until your real plate arrives at the dealer, all paperwork handled by them, etc.

Car insurance is another funny expense there. Americans "Y plates" are required to carry auto insurance from 3rd party companies located on Okinawa. No, you cannot use USAA or any insurance in the U.S. Most commonly used companies are ACE and another I cannot recall the name at this moment, but their offices are near Camp Foster on the top floor of the hobby shop and just outside the legion gate of Foster where the American Legion is located. Prices vary for these services but generally do not cost much at all, maybe around $68-$100 for 6 months of coverage, they also handle title transfers if you sell your car. Insurance is pretty flakey, don't expect to walk away from a auto accident with cash in hand, 99% of the time if it's a accident involving a Okinawan, expect to get ass raped in fines and fees.

Lastly, stay away from Drifting. There's various orders between the CG at Foster and Kadena who have prohibitted drifting and classify it as a serious offense. Example, Cpl that worked with me attended one of these events (not at the bull-ring or Nago circuit), PMO and JP's drove around taking note of license plates, he got a phone call at the 2 shop to inform him that his license was being revoked in Okinawa and he had to show up for traffic court. Very very strict rules out there regarding this sport and it's always best to just stay away from it unless it's a real event at a real track (which there's only 1 on the island, bull-ring doesn't count).

Defiantly not that much. There is not fee to register if the car is plated. but every two years JCI is a couple hundred and insurance is like a hundred a month for a sports car it's way cheap to have a car in oki

LOL. I guess I made a lot less $$$ back then as an E1 and E2. I just remembered it was outrageous. The costs you are quoting doesn't seem like so much today, but it sure did at the time (over 20 years ago).

These days a good condition 1993-1998 will run you around $2,500 at a private honcho dealer. 1999-2002 depending on the model, anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000. Newer cars will carry a newer car price tag minus about $10,000 on the U.S. market price. Older cars, pre 1986 and older, anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000. The more "classic" cars around $20,000 and up.

http://www.o-cross.net/ is a good source to seach the honcho dealerships. Just remember the red price tag online is in JPY, so something that says 7.9 in red means 790,000 Yen or "basically" $7,800.

Either cancel your phone in the states, or put it on military suspension so you can re-activate it when you visit the States and return after your tour of duty overseas.

Your phone and data will rack up an enormous roaming fee over here!

You can use Softbank in Japan, wait till they come out with their 'calls to the States' plan. Comes out every 2-3 months as a special. I wouldn't get suckered in to the iPhone plan they have. Waste of money.

I was there in the late 80's, when the bowling alley, movie theater and just about all the rest of the buildings were being remodeled. Learn to dive, Oki has some of the best dives around. I use to enjoy going into Henoko, the little village outside of Camp Schwab. I had my first (of many) habu saki's there.

I was in Oki in 1973. I had my choice between Hansen and Schwab and chose Schwab. One of these comments said that is the best place to be a Marine and I agree. That's pretty much all you have to do --- and its really great (when you look back on it). I really got to be a Marine with not many other distractions. I made great friends. Henoko was a fine little town with very good places to eat (and drink). I liked it very much and would chose that camp again. There were things to do, by the way. Great duty station when I look back at the rest of my Marine service. I hope you had a good time!

Been to the base too many times.
    As UDP and Permanet personnel.

Go to you tube, there are plenty of vids of how it looks today.

USO there is the best on the Island.

Recon Point used to sit there watching the water,
    4th Marines Regt HQ ( no longer there) .
    Old racket ball down by the theater is gone.
    Old E club is gone
    LZ Schwab was leveled off, those who remeber the old set up, rocky.

They have a all girl college outside of base now.

I like Schwab out of all the bases I was stationed at in Oki, it was my first.

My son is headed to Schwab in a few weeks. First duty station, 3rd CAB. Thanks for all the advice here! Hope he learns to dive!

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryRugged View Post
    My son is headed to Schwab in a few weeks. First duty station, 3rd CAB. Thanks for all the advice here! Hope he learns to dive!
    It's CAB - Combat Assault Bn 3rd Marine Divison.

I was with them three on UDPs.

S/F,
    CEYA!

I was stationed there in 1983 and loved it. There is beaches all around. I would go back in a heartbeat. I got in the best shape of my life on Camp Schwab. The 3 mile PT run is almost all down hill.

Also There used to be a bar called the Dollhouse outside the base in 1983 Whiskey was cheaper than the beer.

Update.. 4th Marines is still there but old HQ building gone.

But LZ Schwab is gone and alot of other stuff.

Seen pics all I can say is WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceya View Post
    Been to the base too many times.
    As UDP and Permanent personnel.

Go to you tube; there are plenty of videos of how it looks today.

USO there is the best on the Island.

Recon Point used to sit there watching the water,
    4th Marines Regt HQ (no longer there).
    Old racket ball down by the theater is gone.
    Old E club is gone
    LZ Schwab was leveled off, those who remember the old set up, rocky.

They have an all girl college outside of base now.

I like Schwab out of all the bases I was stationed at in Oki, it was my first.

It's been over years since I created this post and here is a follow up. I ended up staying in Schwab for four years (liked it that much). I got to experience full libo when i got a gold card but went away in 2012 when two sailors raped a local. Never got into the whole scuba diving thing but know many friends who did and they loved it. Got a car and a map of Okinawa, on the weekends i'd pick a random spot on the map and go to it. Before getting the car i would use the public bus (yen bus) a lot cheaper than the taxis (honchos). During my time, i met many Marines that hated their time there, and met some that loved it. At the end of the day it came down to what their outlook was. I'm glad that i had a positive experience and thanks to all of you that gave me advice when i needed it!

Thread Information