Is it possible to 'over think' joining the Marine Corps?
Create Post

Is it possible to 'over think' joining the Marine Corps?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, this is my first post and I was looking for advice. My brother just reenlisted and my cousin did four years and chose not to. I'm a college junior but contemplated joining the Marines when my family members did, I just didn't have the courage to make the leap.

The timing right now is pretty ideal for me to join and I think I have the motivation, courage, and attitude to join now but I did I wait too long? I'm 24 years old and I worked a full time job for 3 years out of high school then went to college for 3 years.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Go see a recruiter...

In terms if regulations you did not wait too long. The question becomes more about what are you looking for now? Do you want to finish school? Are you looking for a change? What do you want for yourself? What do you want to do for a living. It seems you have a lot to figure about what you want and when.

However, my advice is to feel it out. First, research it. There is a ton of information about the Marine Corps, boot camp, Marine Corps life, career paths, and benefits online. Being a little older and in school you should not have a problem doing a lot if the research yourself. You would be suprised how many individuals come on the site and ask such basic questions, just to have someone else do the legwork for them. Once you have a good foundation, get on here and ask pointed questions to fill in the holes.

You will know if it feels right....

I joined at 17..it felt right til I got off the bus.

Then the DI's showed up a few days later...
    things got really interesting.

Just do it dude..whats the worst that could happen?

Yes, you are in the wrong section.

PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move you to the "Ask A Marine" thread. Then, go talk to a recruiter. They are trained to answer all your questions...we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Yes, you are in the wrong section.

PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move you to the "Ask A Marine" thread. Then, go talk to a recruiter. They are trained to answer all your questions...we are not.
    Hey Top..

I would be glad to offer advice in the "Ask a Marine" thread.

Or...maybe my talents would be best used as a recruiter..LOL

Or maybe...umm...uhh...

Nevermind.

Certainly not possible to 'over think' it at all. If anything, the problem is being able to judge whether or not you'd like to do it based on hyped up images and motivational posters and loaded, rehearsed conversations. The Marine Corps sold was not the Marine Corps I experienced in all it's glory, but it certainly has been a challenge and I have met many good people while growing into a stronger individual.

What I'm saying is, do not let all the hype pull you in. Realize that you will experience a lot of hardships, you WILL lose a lot of comforts, freedoms, and conveniences. It certainly is a sacrifice. It's your decision, and you have to live with it. Listen to others, but never forget that others have agendas and they don't have to serve the four (or more) years, you do.

My opinion is that you are looking for some direction in life. And I also think you are overthinking it. Sit down and figure out what the heck you want. Then charge ahead. 24 yrs old and dont know yet?

I know you dont want to hear this but, its time you grew up and faced the cold cruel world that is outside your front door.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

My first question to you is this…Why do you feel the need that you need to follow where other family members went to.? Are you being pressured to join the Corps if so how do you feel about family pressures being unreasonable place upon you. ?

The Marine Corps isn’t for everyone coming from a time when the Marine Corps was old school when DI’s could punch you in the face for not doing your best, for not eating fast enough or for not yelling out I, I, Sir loud enough. My point is the Corps today isn’t like the Corps of yesterday it was much harder to deal with emotionally and psychically. The Corps today, is more digital like and it takes a smarter person to become a Marine.

Not every one should join the Corps, it takes a special person to become a Marine. You have to allow yourself to be molded into what the Corps wants you to be. There is many years of History you are up holding to and if you cannot allow yourself to be put down or told you are wrong or you think you know best than the Corps does son you are not Marine material.

You have to believe in the Marine Corps history, believe in war and war policies, you have believe in the rights or other peoples in the world and most important of all else you need to believe in giving your own life for those peoples (good or bad) in time of need. The Marine Corps isn’t just a military it is sacrifice of ones own life when the need to purposed. This is why we say “A Few Good Men.” because a few good men can change the minds of others through our action and deeds as US Marines. Today, 41 years later I still hold my Marine Corps training inside me in ways I talk, do things around my home, and when I was working anyone who knows the Marine Corps history can always tell you were a US Marine by the way you handle yourself.

You can join and see what you are made of Today, many young men go this root. Or you can weight out the pros and cons about you to see if you should go into the Corps. No matter how many years you sing up for it’s a hard life and to raise a family even harder life. My advice is this DON’T RUSH IN you may hate it. Talk to as many Marines you can from Officers to NOC’s to Privates to Combat vets think before you jump it’s a COMMITMENT to the Marine Corps not to the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach11 View Post
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, this is my first post and I was looking for advice. My brother just reenlisted and my cousin did four years and chose not to. I'm a college junior but contemplated joining the Marines when my family members did, I just didn't have the courage to make the leap.

The timing right now is pretty ideal for me to join and I think I have the motivation, courage, and attitude to join now but I did I wait too long? I'm 24 years old and I worked a full time job for 3 years out of high school then went to college for 3 years.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Moved to 'Ask a Marine'. And deleted until I see a completed profile. SITE RULES.

Thread Information