Sewing on ranks, nametags, etc
Create Post

Sewing on ranks, nametags, etc

Good Afternoon Marines,

I was wondering how the whole process works when you buy new cammies and need to get your name sewn on it, get a promotion and need to have new rank sewn on Alphas, Bravos and Charlies, etc or just getting a new hash mark. Do you buy the patches and do it yourself or does someone do it for you? Thanks.

You can go to the Military Clothing store and buy either used or new uniforms. They'll have any uniform items you need.

Once you have it all, you'll go to the alterations area of the store where they'll have you try it on and make markings where alterations need to be made. Once done, they'll give you a slip and have you pay for the uniform and the alterations at the main checkout counter.

You'll take the slip back to the alterations and they'll tell you how long it'll be until they're ready to be picked up.. Usually no longer than a week. There are some places off base that offer next day services too

You CAN sow it on yourself, but that's a bjtch to do... Plus it only costs like $5 to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by jeonpaolo View Post
    Good Afternoon Marines,

I was wondering how the whole process works when you buy new cammies and need to get your name sewn on it, get a promotion and need to have new rank sewn on Alphas, Bravos and Charlies, etc or just getting a new hash mark. Do you buy the patches and do it yourself or does someone do it for you? Thanks.

Hmmm....good trivia question for us older ones.
    I can guarantee you that I didn't sew them on.
    But...I might go out on a limb IIRC and say that we may have purchased our own chevrons after a promo/whatever and a known place of business sewed them on for us...maybe even on a base location back then?

I guess I'll just await to be corrected.

Carry on....

Name tapes are simple you'll get a new issue every year whenever you enlisted you get money for the fiscal year for unis and thats when you're supposed to get uniforms for the year.

I don't remember ever paying for nametapes but everything else you'll pay for and go off base right outside of Camp Lejeune and get everything done. It was done way better, your **** never got lost and it wasn't all that much more. I don't even remember them having an alteration area in Lejeune although I'm sure they did.

Thank you Cpl and LCpls! Thats a relieve because I cant sew even if my life depended on it.

Well technically we got taught to sew in boot camp but I sure as hell didn't remember any of it when I got out and don't know many Marines who did.

You'll learn enough to be able to stitch your cammies together when you have small tears and the like.

The base cleaners used to do the sewing of chevrons & hash marks. Don't know if they still do it. If not you can buy an Old Maid (more commonly know as a sewing kit) at the exchange. (if they still sell them)

Oh and you're welcome.

Credits
    Savings
    A piece of this advice got misoriented
    The finished job will look professional done at a place equipped to do. It

I've sewn my own chevrons on my blues before (and, yes, I got them placed completely correctly), but it was a pain in the butt. Take 'em to a cleaners or alterations shop and pay the money to get them done for you. As far as what the Marine above said about never having paid for name tapes, I will say that I have paid to have every name tape I've ever had. However, your unit should have an issue of chevrons to give you upon promotion (enough to outfit all of your service and dress uniforms that have been issued). I stress the should part though, because I have seen some units who have them and some who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgtSki View Post
    I've sewn my own chevrons on my blues before (and, yes, I got them placed completely correctly), but it was a pain in the butt. Take 'em to a cleaners or alterations shop and pay the money to get them done for you. As far as what the Marine above said about never having paid for name tapes, I will say that I have paid to have every name tape I've ever had. However, your unit should have an issue of chevrons to give you upon promotion (enough to outfit all of your service and dress uniforms that have been issued). I stress the should part though, because I have seen some units who have them and some who don't.
    I never saw anyone get anything besides nametapes. Might have been the fact we deployed, came back and were working up for a MEU that we got nametapes free.

When I worked in Cash Sales anytime there was a promotion everyone bought their chevrons,except the first set which was just one set of metal chevrons.

Thread Information