sergeant major cup
Create Post

sergeant major cup

hey guys, just wanted to share this. yesterday my RSS and what seemed like all of the NYC RSS's competed in the sergeant major cup. it was both a physical competition as well as a kind of family day for poolees. there was a BBQ and dj for the families as well as a drill instructor who was there only to answer questions although he looked like he was dying to correct some of the nastier recruits. as far as the competition there was: a water jug relay, a pull up competition, an ammo can relay, a dizzy izzy run, a stretcher relay, a caterpillar crawl, a Humvee pull, and a tug of war. the whole day was pretty fun n it was gray and drizzling so we weren't suffering in the heat, one kid from anther RSS passed out at the begging of the day while standing in formation. he had locked his knees, we were always warned about that by our gunny but i never believed it until yesterday, poor guy hit the ground hard, no one grabbed him before he hit the ground and he busted his mouth up pretty badly. my RSS came in 7th out of 14 although we felt we got robbed on 2 events, we wouldn't have won but we would've placed in 3rd or 4th overall. oh and i almost forgot they had a small weapons display with a mark 19 with some dummy rounds, a 50 cal. and some sort of machine gun, looked like a thinner version of a M249. don't know if anyone else has one of these coming up but if u have any questions feel free to ask

Hey dude, RSS Jamaica here. I was there too. I may have seen you, haha. We did terrible for the most part.

The Drill Instructor was teaching poolees how to hold the Marine flag before marching, as a platoon.

The ammo can relay was brutal.

Oh and the Drill Instructor went hard on a few poolees holding their flags because they kept screwing up, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by OVonRomer View Post
    Oh and the Drill Instructor went hard on a few poolees holding their flags because they kept screwing up, hahaha.
    Flags? Don't you mean Guidon?

yea, i don't know how intently u were watching but the really short Spanish kid that he told to wake up was our guide, did u run the ammo can relay? it looked pretty hard, i was one of the kids that ran along side cheering my RSS on, i did the caterpillar crawl, the Humvee pull and the first round of tug of war, i sat out 2nd round cause i was tired n others wanted a chance to go and we lost the 2nd round

The ammo can run was brutal. I thought "how bad could it be" but running with an ammo can in each hand is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by holey336 View Post
    yea, i don't know how intently u were watching but the really short Spanish kid that he told to wake up was our guide, did u run the ammo can relay? it looked pretty hard, i was one of the kids that ran along side cheering my RSS on, i did the caterpillar crawl, the Humvee pull and the first round of tug of war, i sat out 2nd round cause i was tired n others wanted a chance to go and we lost the 2nd round
    Ouch, it must have sucked for him. Our guide kept screwing up the grip and snap, and the guide two platoons to the left of us was screamed at by the Drill Instructor for not saying "Yes, sir!" or Aye, sir!" when appropriate. Did you hear the DI say something along the lines of "...YOU'RE NOT GETTING IT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING."? The kid looked like he was about to breakdown, haha.

How tough was the caterpillar crawl? It sounded easy but didn't seem like it after everyone was struggling.

yea we had something like that last month for family day. I guess my rss has it the best though as we live in orange county, califonia. thats right next to Camp Pendleton, MCAS Miramar, MCRD San Diego, Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach, 29 Palms and MCAS Tustin and El Toro, even though they closed down. Since we are literally surrounded by bases, pool functions are way more fun than for the poolee in the middle of Wyoming lol.

SGT Major Cup

We competed in the Portland SGT Major cup yesterday and I think I did pretty damn fine as an individual, as a group we (RSS Medford) took 3rd though.. but we still did a kick ass job. The DI was awesome, some of the Poolees got to cocky and tried taking charge. The DI wasn't impressed. Those who tried to be the authority got what was coming to them. I competed in IST like everyone else, Iron man, tug of war and CFT. We played Tug of war so hard a poolee on the opposite team passed out and needed an EMT. Fun day overall. Can't wait to ship!

I think everyone's sgt maj cup was yesterday, we had ours and our RSS won the whole thing. Now we can finally stop hearing the recruiters talking about it, not sure it's going to get easier on us now that we won..

Yea ovon the catpillar crawl wasn't hard physically, but the poolees infront of me would either drop or stop n the one behind me would keep pushing but there was no where for me to go, 2 of our poolees couldn't do it but the rest of us were fine, just hard carrying their slack. Also there were big as roots poppin out the ground tripping us up. Mike sounds like u had some events that we didnt, like the iron man and cft

Thread Information