Bases
Create Post

Thread: Bases

Marine Friend Free Member JeffHoss's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Bases

I have noticed that there are not very many Marine Corps bases compared to Army bases (The Army seems to have alot more). I see that most of your bases are located in Southern California or in the Carolinas.

For you Marines that have hometowns on the East Coast, have you been stationed in North or South Carolina?

How many of you East Coast(hometown) Marines have had the opportunity to go out to the West Coast or go overseas to Japan or Hawaii?

Lots. Most of us old timers have been everywhere. Our bases, for the most part, are near the ocean...and away from people. Both for good reason.

You can always request overseas duty.

Marine Friend Free Member JeffHoss's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    That's awesome about being close to the ocean. Can always do some fishing in your free time. LOL!

Hawaii is not considered "overseas". It's CONUS.

I'm from the east coast, Did everything on the east coast except MOS school (they sent me to good ole' Barstow Ca.)

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHoss View Post
    I have noticed that there are not very many Marine Corps bases compared to Army bases (The Army seems to have alot more). I see that most of your bases are located in Southern California or in the Carolinas.

For you Marines that have hometowns on the East Coast, have you been stationed in North or South Carolina?

How many of you East Coast(hometown) Marines have had the opportunity to go out to the West Coast or go overseas to Japan or Hawaii?

Jeff there are about 540,000 in the Army while the Corps will have about 180,000 when the total reduction is completed

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    I'm from the east coast, Did everything on the east coast except MOS school (they sent me to good ole' Barstow Ca.)
    I'm betting you probably wondered what planet you were on. Did you have to replace your windshield yearly due to the blowing sand? I did three years there 1963-June 1966. Ran the Clothing Cash Sales store. Hated that place with a passion and volunteered for D.I. School.

Marines are AMPHIBIANS! There would be no use in posting our bases in the American heartland. We live for the Sea. I was in from 72-76 and managed to serve in all 3 active divisions and then the 4th div. in reserve. I loved being on ship! Always vollunteered for laundry detail. You can't send back an officers uniform with the outline of a folded $100.00 bill pressed into his uniform pockets!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHoss View Post

That's because the army has 4 times as many people, The Few The Proud The MARINES, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Jeff there are about 540,000 in the Army while the Corps will have about 180,000 when the total reduction is completed
    Sir in my time the army was 800,000 are they shrinking away? Semper Fidelis.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Sir in my time the army was 800,000 are they shrinking away? Semper Fidelis.
    I was speaking of active duty only. Sgt. the Army is always shrinking away

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I'm betting you probably wondered what planet you were on. Did you have to replace your windshield yearly due to the blowing sand? I did three years there 1963-June 1966. Ran the Clothing Cash Sales store. Hated that place with a passion and volunteered for D.I. School.
    My brother was stationed at Barstow for three years (in the late 1970s). He tolerated the place only because he got on the Marines Corps West Coast traveling softball team as their first baseman. So he wasn't there all of the time.

Thread Information