Anyone here serve at MCAS Iwakuni?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone here serve at MCAS Iwakuni?

She hasn't seen any official paperwork yet, but the SNCO at LCpl Andrews MOS school verbally informed her that she is going to be shipped to Iwakuni.

If anyone here spent any time there, I'd appreciate any information you could provide.

Thanks

Carl

Proud father of a United States Marine.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Why are so many parents "following" their kids around their entire active duty tour in the Corps? Why not let your children tell you what it's like in a certain place?
    Where is the fun in living and in serving in the Corps if you know every detail in advance?
    This isnt unique with you and i dont mean to imply that it is, but we see it a lot here and it causes me to wonder if parents are not living their lives through their kids, in a real way

Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    Why are so many parents "following" their kids around their entire active duty tour in the Corps? Why not let your children tell you what it's like in a certain place?
    Where is the fun in living and in serving in the Corps if you know every detail in advance?
    This isnt unique with you and i dont mean to imply that it is, but we see it a lot here and it causes me to wonder if parents are not living their lives through their kids, in a real way
    I'm not trying to live my life through my daughter's service in the Corps?

Nor am I trying to learn every detail.

However, whatever her career in the Corps may turn out to be, she will always be "Daddy's little girl."

So if I'm out of line by wanting to know a little something about a place my daughter is going to that's half a world away, so be it.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Or have the child Google it

MCAS Iwakuni is a great place to be at. i spent 04-07 there. Iwakuni itself lots of bars and such not too much to do unless you go to kintai area theres a castle and the bridge. aside from that Hiroshima and Miyajima are close both cool places to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    MCAS Iwakuni is a great place to be at. i spent 04-07 there. Iwakuni itself lots of bars and such not too much to do unless you go to kintai area theres a castle and the bridge. aside from that Hiroshima and Miyajima are close both cool places to go to.
    Thank You!!

This is the sort of info I'm looking for, thanks again.

I was on a six month deployment to Iwakuni that was extended another six months because of the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The base is great and they offer everything there is to do in order to keep the Marines entertained. It's a great place to get out and see the countryside. Iwakuni is very historic and scenic, and the city is beautiful as well. Hiroshima is only a 45 minute train ride, so a very good day trip to take on occasion. And if you're willing to pay a little extra money, can take the shin (bullet train) a little further out to Tokyo, Osaka, and other places. Iwakuni offers everything under the sun to do and see...or you can just sit in your barracks and rot. Great place. Would love to go back.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was at Iwakuni in the 1970s. I enjoyed my second trip there better than the first as I was older, a Sergeant, and not living in Block 8 anymore.

He needs to get out of Iwakuni and into the countryside. I really enjoy the Japanese people. He needs to learn some basic Japanese (the please and thank you stuff) and things will go well. The Japanese appreciate any genuine effort to learn their language and respect their culture. Beautiful country.

One thing I'm sure probably hasn't changed, if he goes to Hiroshima, he can expect to get "attacked" by Japanese high school and college kids trying to improve their English (a required subject there). He can learn a lot of proper Japanese language in return (not pidgin bar girl stuff). Most of the girls will not be interested in a date, just conversation. But they are cute.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    And I am informed that the boys in Hiroshima are cute too and likewise won't want a date. Everything else remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I was at Iwakuni in the 1970s. I enjoyed my second trip there better than the first as I was older, a Sergeant, and not living in Block 8 anymore.

He needs to get out of Iwakuni and into the countryside. I really enjoy the Japanese people. He needs to learn some basic Japanese (the please and thank you stuff) and things will go well. The Japanese appreciate any genuine effort to learn their language and respect their culture. Beautiful country.

One thing I'm sure probably hasn't changed, if he goes to Hiroshima, he can expect to get "attacked" by Japanese high school and college kids trying to improve their English (a required subject there). He can learn a lot of proper Japanese language in return (not pidgin bar girl stuff). Most of the girls will not be interested in a date, just conversation. But they are cute.
    Well, it's SHE, not HE, LOL, but the tips are welcomed just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by flinthill99 View Post
    I was on a six month deployment to Iwakuni that was extended another six months because of the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The base is great and they offer everything there is to do in order to keep the Marines entertained. It's a great place to get out and see the countryside. Iwakuni is very historic and scenic, and the city is beautiful as well. Hiroshima is only a 45 minute train ride, so a very good day trip to take on occasion. And if you're willing to pay a little extra money, can take the shin (bullet train) a little further out to Tokyo, Osaka, and other places. Iwakuni offers everything under the sun to do and see...or you can just sit in your barracks and rot. Great place. Would love to go back.
    Thank You! I will pass the information along to my daughter, I'm sure she will appreciate the advice.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post

lol. Hiroshima was like that. Served at Iwakuni 78-79. A great duty station. Lots to see and do. A good opportunity for your daughter to grow and learn while serving our country. Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings

Burning Bodies

If it has not changed since back in 1972 they would crank up burning the bodies early in the morning and it does not go good with chow. Most people in Japan was burned because of space and the sea level. Like Zulu36 said Hiroshima, she can expect to get "attacked" by Japanese kids trying to improve their English even ask you for your autograph. Also Kirin Beer Gardens and Peace Park in Hiroshima are great place to check out. The old people still gave us stern looks especially the one that lived through the attack. It was hard to find out what train to get on especially after the beer- a college girl who spoke English took us to where we needed to board. We had two Marines rob the pay master while we were there since we got paid in U.S. cash. They got caught rather quickly though even though they got quite a bit of money. All in all it was a good experience but we also went to the Philippines then to NAM when the sh*t hit the fan pretty heavy. Be sure to tell her not to go out alone because things can happen a buddy of mine got jumped in Mexico and two sailors got cut up and put into trash cans in the Philippines. There is strength in numbers and always stand up and take care of your brothers and sisters!!!!!

Credits
    Savings

Burning Bodies

If it has not changed since back in 1972 they would crank up burning the bodies early in the morning and it does not go good with chow. Most people in Japan was burned because of space and the sea level. Like Zulu36 said Hiroshima, she can expect to get "attacked" by Japanese kids trying to improve their English even ask you for your autograph. Also Kirin Beer Gardens and Peace Park in Hiroshima are great place to check out. The old people still gave us stern looks especially the one that lived through the attack. It was hard to find out what train to get on especially after the beer- a college girl who spoke English took us to where we needed to board. We had two Marines rob the pay master while we were there since we got paid in U.S. cash. They got caught rather quickly though even though they got quite a bit of money. All in all it was a good experience but we also went to the Philippines then to NAM when the sh*t hit the fan pretty heavy. Be sure to tell her not to go out alone because things can happen a buddy of mine got jumped in Mexico and two sailors got cut up and put into trash cans in the Philippines. There is strength in numbers and always stand up and take care of your brothers and sisters!!!!!

Thread Information