Wisdom About When To Enlist - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Julien, thanks for keeping us posted, and well written post at that. We read far too many that makes you wonder if the person is in kindergarten. So it's refreshing to read a post that makes sense.

Good luck.

Hello again, Marines and readers!

I didn't want you fine folks to get the idea that I only posted here when I needed to gripe, so I come bearing good news! I am now a Poolee ! I swore in on 20120525, and my ship date is 20120820. My recruiter had to move some mountains for me, and I had almost 10 months of nail biting, but it all finally worked out. My original ship date when I swore in was 20130114, but MEPS/Command decided that was too much time for me to be sitting around. I went to my first Pool function, have taken 2 ISTS over a 2 week period (Scored 19 pull ups, 80 crunches, and 11:35 on week 1; scored 20 pull ups, 88 crunches, and 11:02 on week 2), and got an MOS, so I've got about 60 days before I go. I just wanted to pass along the good news to the people who helped motivate me to keep pushing forward!

However, I do have a question for those in the know about MOS selection. I was clear from the get go with my recruiting station about what MOSs I was interested in, with 2111 and 2161 being my top picks. Our recruiting station Staff Sergeant called me personally to have me pick my MOS over the phone, and he literally had the computer list in front of him as we went through it. He told me that my top picks were not open, and made a comment along the lines of, "The Marine Corps is downsizing, so a lot of the jobs are no longer available. I looked into 2013, and the jobs you want will not be available" However, they were able to get me in the 2100 field as MOS 2147 (Light Armored Vehicle Repairer), and said that if any of my picks should come up before I leave, they would switch me.

I've researched that statement, and know they can do it, but I've been wondering about his comment on certain jobs no longer being available. If the MOS slots are posted for FY2012, how does he know what is going to be open in FY2013? Do they post a prospective list a few months in advance, or did I misunderstand his meaning altogether?

Thanks again,
    Julien

Congratulations on your enlistment!

It's refreshing to hear a poolee say something positive about their recruiter ("they moved mountains") on here since you see so many negative comments like all recruiters lie and cheat and cannot be trusted (which I don't believe by the way).

Really, the only people qualified to answer your question are current recruiters (others may offer an opinion but how will they know). Hopefully, an active duty recruiter will read your post and give you an answer.

I was never a recruiter but I do know new MOS's open up at the beginning of the new fiscal year (Oct 1st). With that said, it's reasonable to believe most of the MOS's that were available during the current fiscal year have been taken and are no longer available (just like your recruiter claims). During the last year, I went through this process with my niece. She enlisted last June and wanted an intel MOS. There were none available at that time but her recruiter told her they would submit for the intel slot at the beginning of the new fiscal year when the new allocations came out. Last Oct, that happened, and she got a DD contract (she needed a one point GT score waiver which came back approved by the way). Unfortunately, she changed her mind about being a Marine and was discharged from the DEP after all the mountains her recruiter moved for her. Good thing is, her intel MOS eventually went to someone who actually wants it and will use it.

Good luck with your situation and let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks, Tennessee Top!

I noticed the trend of people badmouthing recruiters on here as well, so I figured I'd give credit where credit is VERY due and make a positive mention.In testament, while I was waiting on word about my waiver, he'd call me every two weeks and inquire about my well being, encourage me to stay motivated, and invite me to get coffee and talk to him when time permitted.There were some time periods between August and May where I spoke to him more than I talked to my own parents, and that's saying something. He even came to my college graduation dinner, and I'd be a liar if I said that all of those things did not play a significant role in my ability to see this thing out to the end!

I agree with you very much that the behavior of recruiter's who lie and cheat are the exception, rather than the rule.However, I also fail to understand why those same people who claim to have been lied did not do the research in the first place. Though I trust my recruiter, I basically did my homework to the extent that I not only had a pretty good idea of how the enlistment process was supposed to go, but I'd be capable of determining if anything I would be told sounded fishy or out of the ordinary. To make it even easier, there's a wonderful resource right before their eyes- Leatherneck.com!

Sorry to hear that your niece did not enter the Marine Corps, but it sounds like it all worked out to someone's benefit. I intend to have a conversation with my recruiter about possibly getting my ship date moved to October so I can have first pick for FY-2013. I will post the details of that soon after it happens!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Julien, thanks for keeping us posted,
    and well written post at that.

We read far too many that make you wonder
    if the person is in kindergarten.

So it's refreshing to read a post that makes sense.

Good luck.

Agreed....

Reading your postings, is rather DRY...and
    sometimes difficult to follow.

I'm not the Spelling/ grammar Police on here by any means
    and wouldn't want to be..

Double space at the end of a sentence though. Make it a little
    easier on us the next time posting ...

Now days, getting into BootCamp
    may be more difficult than it was
    way back when .

What is still the same though is
    persistence not to give up..........

Keep us informed please...........

ARE you familiar with the term
    ("Cutest and most adorable " Shaggy Dog Story ) ??????

Quote Originally Posted by Kalashnikovkid View Post
    P.S-Tennessee Top-What did you think of Miami University while you were at Hamilton?
    I went to Miami University Middletown (MUM) and enjoyed my time there. My best friend graduated from Miami University in Oxford with a degree in physical education. He moved up through the ranks from a phys-ed teacher and eventually retired as an adminstrator.

Ultimately, I completed my undergraduate degree from Southern Illinois University while still on active duty.

Congratulations on becoming a poolee. It was a long struggle but most anything worthwhile in life does not come easy.

Thread Information