So an Army recruiter called me today
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

So an Army recruiter called me today

For those of you who don't know, I got off active duty last fall and am currently in the IRR. Today I get a voicemail from a prior service Army recruiter. He just called me up out of the blue and said to give him a call back if I was interested in reserve opportunities with the Army. Needless to say, I hope he's not waiting by the phone for me to call him back. Never mind the fact that I'm already in the process of getting back in the Marine Corps reserves. But can you believe that!?! I have never shown any interest in the Army. Never given them so much as my name. Even before I joined the Corps I never talked with an Army recruiter. In fact I think I held my breath and closed my eyes ever time I had to walk past their office. And here they are wanting me to come join their ranks. No other branch has called me. Does anyone know if they are specifically trying to bring in people from other branches? Anyone ever experience this?

A buddy of mine actually told me the Army has a new recruiting poster out. It's a picture of a solider with a caption at the bottom that says, "Sometimes the best man for the job is a Marine". I've never seen it. Have any of you guys? I tried to look for it online but couldn't find it. If anyone has it, post it so we can all have a good laugh.

"Sometimes the best man for the job is a Marine"

That is an incorrect statement. Should read;

"The best man for the job is a Marine." Reads and sounds so much better, don't you agree.

What's his call back number, Lets all call him and say I was thinking about joining the Army. After he goes through his 30 minute spill of why the Army is great the next thing we'll say is but I joined the Marine Corps. That'll learn him.

All this guy was doing is his job. If you have a problem with it get you phone number on the National No Call List.

Makes their ranks stronger if they can get Marines, I myself couldn't wear the uniform of another branch but that's just me, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Makes their ranks stronger if they can get Marines, I myself couldn't wear the uniform of another branch but that's just me, Semper Fidelis.
    Amen to that Brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    All this guy was doing is his job. If you have a problem with it get you phone number on the National No Call List.
    Exactly. Some Marines really need to grow up. Maybe they should realize its them acknowledging that we are the best of the best and hoping to capitalize on the Corps stupidity in making re-enlistment absurdly hard.

If you are off contract it is a very hard and long process to get back in right now. Considering that they are offering early out packages and cutting back on recruiting the PS recruiters have it pretty easy.I tried for over a year to get back in the reserves, Went thru 2 different PSR's and many promises, visits and unanswered calls/voicemails. That is a year I won't get back. The last time I talked to the PSR he told me he couldn't work any more off contract waivers as he didn't need any bodies....So I talked to the Navy PSR when he mysteriously called the next day.Long story short I re-upped for 3 more years in the Navy reserve 10 days later...10 days not 10 months.Yes its going to be a change but I'm getting too old to wait, Not to mention they had a decent choice of jobs and I kept E-4.

I blame the Army Recruiting branch for not having live bodies outside every Marine Corps SEPS platoon!Throw some bonuses around,and fill your ranks with professionals!

Ugh SEPS/TAPS was the third most miserable experience in the Marine Corps lol

Seps was my #1 and only complaint with my beloved Corps. I served honorably along with 3/4 of the Marines i separated with. We were herded around and treated with the same respect that the 10% that every good Marine abhors! I thought that there should have been 2 platoons,one with those who served honorably,and the other that the Corps. couldn't get out fast enough!

My wife actually got that poster out of one of the 'Times magazines, framed it, and gave it to me for Fathers day one year!

Yeah, dood is just doing his job fellars, don't harrass him. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I'm not dogging on the recruiter. I realize he is just doing what the Army is telling him to do. I don't care that he called me. I just find this method of recruiting curious. My dig is more at why the Army is trying so hard to bring in people from other branches as opposed to bringing in fresh high school grads or trying to keep the soldiers they have. If they have a problem with enlistments and retention, maybe there is a problem with the Army as an organization. No other branch seems to be having a problem right now.

Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    I'm not dogging on the recruiter. I realize he is just doing what the Army is telling him to do. I don't care that he called me. I just find this method of recruiting curious. My dig is more at why the Army is trying so hard to bring in people from other branches as opposed to bringing in fresh high school grads or trying to keep the soldiers they have. If they have a problem with enlistments and retention, maybe there is a problem with the Army as an organization. No other branch seems to be having a problem right now.
    Getting someone who is prior service is almost a slam dunk. I wouldn't blame him for seeking out an easy target to fill his quota.

The Army has plenty of prior-service Marines serving on active duty and in the reserves. It makes a lot of sense for him to call up someone who is prior service to fill a reserve vacancies.

Advantages to the Army include having someone who has already served (is at least minimally intelligent, physically-capable, and not a drug-user or career criminal). They don't have to send you to basic training, either, so you can be filling a billet much faster than someone who has never served.

Advantages to the prior service Marine (or other branch) include continuing your service (maybe you don't care what branch at this point in your career), a unit close to home, or even a new MOS.

You may also find that the Army (or other branch) has more positions open and more locations to drill, which means you could drill close to home. I know a lot of reservists in other branches who travel pretty far to drill, some travel from one coast to the other and they have to pay for their travel expenses.

Sure, the Army isn't as good as the Corps, but I met a lot of soldiers who are pretty sharp, were well-trained, and were highly-motivated. I wouldn't be upset or insulted that a recruiter called, just realize that he's doing his job. He may even provide you with something beneficial.

Geez guys, stop acting so sensible and join in with a good 'ol Army bashing fest like we all love to do!

Thread Information