Continuing Education
Create Post

Continuing Education

I hear that the Marines have career counselours to help you plan your life in and after the Marine Corps but do they have people to help you with continuing education?

I presently have my AOS just an associates that I got at a technical school. It is recognized by the state of AZ as an official Associates, but I would like to try and see if I can find a school that would accept some of the credits from there to continue on to maybe a bachelours degree, and maybe OCS.

What I guess my question being is would the Marine Corps be able to help me find a school that is semi military friendly and would accept most if not all the credits from my previous school? Or would this be something that I would have to do on my own?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    I hear that the Marines have career counselours to help you plan your life in and after the Marine Corps but do they have people to help you with continuing education?

I presently have my AOS just an associates that I got at a technical school. It is recognized by the state of AZ as an official Associates, but I would like to try and see if I can find a school that would accept some of the credits from there to continue on to maybe a bachelours degree, and maybe OCS.

What I guess my question being is would the Marine Corps be able to help me find a school that is semi military friendly and would accept most if not all the credits from my previous school? Or would this be something that I would have to do on my own?
    Yes, there is help available and there actually are quite a few colleges that are military friendly (especially on-line schools).

Concur. Lots of information available on that. AMU (American Military University) is the first one that comes to mind, that specifically caters to military folks.

Now do they accept other schools credits typically? I am presently under the impression that most schools dont accept other schools credits they kinda pick and choose which credits they want to accept.

Im looking to possibly get back on the track to the bachelours quick possibly as soon as I hit the fleet if it is possible. Being 27 that 31.5 is quickly approaching and starting over or trying to get a waiver to get a comission after 31.5 is in my mind going to prove to be very difficult.

Totally dependant on what school you are applying to and, basically as I understand it, how much you are willing to pay (it seems). No good answer on this one I'm afraid.

Im willing to pay whatever my Montgomery GI bill will cover .

I know I am putting the cart before the horse a bit, but I am trying to maybe turn this thing into a career so my aspirations for my career are high and Im trying to plan a future.... As much as I can. Semper Gumby..? (Hopefully I rate that phrase if not my apologies)

Im one of the poolees who didnt want to be a Marine since he was a fetus, I was unsure as to wether I wanted this, but I will stop at nothing to get my title. Death or some how if i got a felony is all that stands in my way. Its just about cost me my job and it is costing me my Marriage I can only imagine what else id have to give but Im ready and willing.

Good attitude to work with. I'll allow the 'gumby' since it's exactly what 'we' are looking for!

AMU is very lenient about accepting transfer credits, not to mention credits for military schooling and experience. Since you've already got your associates, you probably wouldn't be able to transfer the military training/experience credits though, since those are usually reserved for low-level electives. Also, on active duty you have access to 100% Tuition Assistance (TA), which covers up to $250/credit hour. There is a cap on your annual TA amount, but I can't recall that off the top of my head. AMU charges only $250/credit hour and has a book grant program that gives you your books at no extra cost (TA doesn't pay for books or materials). With that being said, there are very few situations where you would have to use the MGIB/Post-911 GIB while on active duty. As long as you are going for a higher education (BA for you and then when you get your BA, a Masters), you can use TA. You couldn't, however, use it to get a second associates degree or a second BA, etc.

Each unit will have an education officer and each base has an education center that can help you out with all this.

Awesome, thank you Sir's for your assistance. Maybe hitting OCS could be a reality.

Thread Information