Can a Marine Spouse have a career?
Create Post

Can a Marine Spouse have a career?

Hi Ladies,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask my question. I am a poolee getting ready to ship out to bootcamp in less than a week. I finished my Bachelor's this year and my girlfriend is getting her master's in accounting in 3 years. Is it possible for my girlfriend to have a stable career if we do get married in the future? I am also planning on becoming an Public Affairs Officer in the future. I believe you ladies would know this best. From what I've seen it seems like she might not be able to and it's a terrible disappointment on her part.

Thank you ladies very much. I look forward to your responses!

While I'm not a lady (and never have been LOL) I think the answer nowadays is "Yes...but". Yes, they can have a career, but they'll have to be flexible and prepared to move when you do. Accountants are ALWAYS in demand, which is a good thing. As are nurses and teachers. So I think her chances are good. I've met several women since I've retired (Most recently my audiologist) who have been successful, while still moving with their husbands.

It's not impossible by any means and far easier today than it was 20 years ago.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    While I'm not a lady (and never have been LOL) .
    Jason, you forgot to say " What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas " .

Just had to say it .

You are correct. 20 years ago it was difficult. In todays world " Flexable " is the key word.

Thank you very much Sir for your reply! It's encouraging news indeed!

Being that she will be on a base Civil Service jobs come to mind. Disbursing Office is probably one of the offices who uses a lot of accounting types.

Marine Spouse Free Member Idena's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Of course. While some careers are more easily flexible than others, what makes the difference is determination, tenacity, & the will to set yourself apart from others to continue building your career.

One of the biggest keys to success for a military spouse is to realize that sometimes you won't have The Job, but you'll have A Job, & you can still utilize that job (or volunteer activities, or civic incolvement, etc) to build your resume for the future. Sometimes you take a stepping stone to get to where you ultimately want to be in 20 years. It's amazing how well-rounded military spouses' resumes can be if they work at making them that way, so when retirement comes, you've got an impressive sheet of skills & accomplishments.

Thread Information