Feeling out of place in Recruit Training
Create Post

Feeling out of place in Recruit Training

I'm 22 years old. Older than most people going to bootcamp. How rare is my situation? Will i be the oldest recruit?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Max age for enlistment is 28 for active and 29 for reserves, then there is the constructive age thing for taking prior service members from other branches. Lets say you were in the Army for 10 years then got out for 5 years and joined the Marines at age 38; your constructive age would be 28... actual age minus years of service. Taking all this into account, you will probably not even be close to the oldest in your platoon.

Thanks alot gentlemen. It's just while most of my fellow recruits have little more than a high school sweetheart heart to miss, I'll have a wife and 2 year old son back here at home. Another thing wracking my brain. I want, and will become a Marine. I have the desire and support. The thing is, my family. I hear alot about divorce rates and such. How does one hold his family together in that first difficult year or more of adapting to life in the Marine Corps?

Everything is going to depend on when you actually go to Recruit Training. If you leave during the summer months then yes you could be the oldest. Typicaly any high school seniors who enlisted are set to leave during those months. It's a different story through the winter. A majority of those guys are a bit older because they waited to make the final decision on enlisting.

The Marine Corps doesnt ruin relationships. Weak relationships fail because they are weak relationships. I heard the old adage regarding the divorce rate and I have been with the same women I was dating during bootcamp ever since (married 8 years now).

It takes a strong women to deal with the Corps and there is a good chance you will be gone/out of communication for periods at a time. What little communication you do have is KEY. Write her every day that you can (most days you can) and carry that and phone calls with you into your fleet training and MOS school when able.

When you write her dont tell her how much it sucks and how much you miss her. Tell her that it is difficult but you are doing well. Tell her how much she means to you and how much you love her and your family. She will be the one with the tough job, not you. If you make her feel sad/stressed because she thinks you are sad stressed it will but undue stress on her. Just support her in every way you can and you will be fine.

As for the age thing...it will be a large help in the fleet and MOS school. Most Marines drink and have a good time and alcohol is the leading factor in NJP and poor career progression. You certainly cant get out of hand but you can go out and have a few beers or have a few beers in the barracks with not a worry in the world (providing you are following the rules.) Hopefully you have accrued some maturity in your 22 years (with a wife and 2 kids I would assume that answer is a yes) and you will be in great shape. Use that maturity to be a leader in your platoon and it will pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC-SSGT View Post
    Hopefully you have accrued some maturity in your 22 years (with a wife and 2 kids I would assume that answer is a yes) and you will be in great shape. Use that maturity to be a leader in your platoon and it will pay off.
    This is exactly what I was going to say.
    In my time there were a few draftees in mid twenties.
    We had a mix of ages but most were 17-19.

OP....you are in for the challenge of your life and your age should compel you be the toughest and set the best example in your platoon.

I only have one child. My recruiter told me that if I gas a wife and 2 kids that it would be nearly impossible for me to get in. As far as my maturity level, I had to grow up quickly. I've been supporting myself since I was 16 and I think I'm doing pretty well, considering. I'm not joining the Marine Corps because of money, benefits, if anything like that. I'm joining the Marine Corps because I want to be a United States Marine, and serve and defend my country.

Have*. Not gas

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewDogOldBreed View Post
    I only have one child. My recruiter told me that if I gas a wife and 2 kids that it would be nearly impossible for me to get in. As far as my maturity level, I had to grow up quickly. I've been supporting myself since I was 16 and I think I'm doing pretty well, considering. I'm not joining the Marine Corps because of money, benefits, if anything like that. I'm joining the Marine Corps because I want to be a United States Marine, and serve and defend my country.
    Well said.
    You'll be fine.

Good Luck to you...........

Yeah. Wow, you're old dude.

I believe the average age for a recruit is around 19 plus years of age. I was 21 when I entered and I believe we had several people older than me. One I believe was around 26.

So, uh, I wouldn't worry too much old man.

So what if you are the oldest in your platoon. The only thing that will get you is the nickname "Pops". Other than that you will be in the pit just as much as the other recruits. In recruit training all are treated the same. If you are a bird you will attract flys known as Drill Instructors which you do not want to do. Keep your mouth shut, your eyes open and do each and everything at 110% and you will have no problems.

I was 26 while in boot camp. You're all the same, in the same boat. My fellow recruits at that time called me Gramps or Old man... In the fleet some of my Marines call me Grand pappy. It's really nothing to cause concern over.

22 is NOT old lol. I've known prior service NCOs and SNCOs from other branches in their late 20s and 30s who went to boot.

You'll be no different than anyone else. If you were 25+ they may put you as a guide immediately but then again I was made guide in boot camp and I was 17 and didn't turn 18 into SOI so its all up to your DIs.

I'll be 24 when I ship to boot, my goal is to stay ahead or within the top teir of the younger recruits. The only factor that will show age is facial hair and if the DI's give me a nickname for being older.

Other then that I plan on doing the best I can, thats all you can do!

Thread Information