Seeking information on MOS 2844
Create Post

Seeking information on MOS 2844

Hello Marines,
    I just returned from MEPS today with a reserve contract for MOS 2844, Ground Communications Organizational Repairer. That's a long and vague name and I've done what research I can and read the standard internet descriptions, but I was curious if anyone knows the details and specifics on this MOS from first hand experience. What a daily day consists of, did you or someone you know like the job, and what you do on deployment (ie see much combat/forward field work).

I leave on August first, and start as a PFC for having a bachelor's.

Thank you for your time,
    Justin

Do you know what unit you are going to? That will make a big difference. I was active duty and now a reserve 2844. The Reserves are a lot different than active duty. The MOS as a whole us a Radio Repairman. You will learn mostly trouble shooting, basic cable repair, and shop operations (mainly paperwork). As a reservist, depending on the unit, you may get hands on some gear on drill weekends, but keeping MOS proficiency is tough. The two week AT will be your biggest opportunity to get time in your MOS. I never deployed in my MOS on active duty, but that was voluntary. However, you typically will be assigned to a Headquarters/Service Co/Btry. Depending on what unit is whether you will deploy at all or in your MOS. Both on deployments and daily shop life you are in a tech shop. This is not a "field MOS", although there are opportunities to be at Fwd OPs and such that will mainly be active duty techs.

Thank you for the response. I will be in 3rd Batallion 14th Marines, At an HQ Battery in Philly thats the HQ for several artillery batteries, not sure if that helps you to add any light on the subject.

I am with HQ Btry 2/14. Okay, so I have an exact idea of what you'll be doing then. Probably will not deploy in your MOS. It would take the whole Bn to deploy in order for the HQ Btry to go. Right now 2/14 just sends one firing Btry at a time.

Sounds like you do almost exactly what I'll be unit wise. What's a typical drill weekend/annual 2 weeks like. And when you say not deploy in your MOS do you mean at all? Or they'll send you to do something unrelated. Can you volunteer to deploy as your MOS?
    Thanks again

Thread Information