Where to live in my 10 days leave?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Where to live in my 10 days leave?

Afternoon Marines,

I have a bit of a problem. After graduating bootcamp, I don't really have anyone to stay with. All my friends are going to college and my family isnt gonna be here.

I am supposed to report to ITB after bootcamp. I was wondering if there is anyway I can live in pendleton/report to ITB right after bootcamp so I can have a place to live during that 10 days of leave. Was wondering if someone can tell me my options. Greatly appreciated.

Been a real long time for me, but I would guess maybe Casual Company, if there is such a thing these days. That question is probably one of the better questions I have seen on this site.

I've never heard of casual company and I got out in 07.

Best bet just ask a recruit in your platoon during any free time(church) that lives nearby and see if you can stay with them. Otherwise when you get back home hit up the local VA, USO, or recruiting station.

Probably your best bet would be to get someone you know to contact the Marine Reserve aid and see what they can do. I know they will help. I'm only IRR now and this past summer I stayed in a house they have for free for more than a month while I was homeless.

Thank you Gunnery Sgt and Lance Cpl. So theres no way I can just simply check in early to ITB then?

Quote Originally Posted by jeonpaolo View Post
    Thank you Gunnery Sgt and Lance Cpl. So theres no way I can just simply check in early to ITB then?
    I have no idea, you'd have to ask your recruiter, and more than likely your SDI near the end of boot to see if they can change your orders.

I can't imagine they can make you take leave but then again it is the Corps

Years ago, a Marine used to be able to check in early at any unit. Considering this is the new Corps, it might screw up their computers or maybe there is an an order that prohibits early check in. You need to call a recruiter, maybe he has the answer.

Used to be we had casual company where you could check in and stay for a limited number of days. Might try the YMCA, or the Marine Corps Lodge on base, used to be the Hostess House. A Marine should not end up on the street. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Years ago, a Marine used to be able to check in early at any unit. Considering this is the new Corps, it might screw up their computers or maybe there is an an order that prohibits early check in. You need to call a recruiter, maybe he has the answer.

Used to be we had casual company where you could check in and stay for a limited number of days. Might try the YMCA, or the Marine Corps Lodge on base, used to be the Hostess House. A Marine should not end up on the street. Good luck to you.
    Thank you Gunnery Sgt, will do.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You do not have to take leave. I sure as hell wouldn't want to burn any leave sitting around on base. There was a recruit in my platoon that didn't want the boot leave and didn't take it. Instead he did ground and maintenance on MCRD and lived in the transient barracks until time to execute his orders. He was then shuttled up to pendleton and continued to march. Not sure if I want to take that route either. Bottem line is you do not have to take leave. The only time I was ever forced to take leave is when the 1st Sgt called me in his office and said you have 75 days on the books and come Oct 1st you are going to lose 15 days if you don't take them. Boot leave actually puts your leave balance in the hole so you won't have that problem. Trust me you will want to take the leave just for a break. Go buy you a tent and a fishing pole and go camping for 10 days. You'll have enough cash after graduation to afford that.

When I was in you could check in when ever you wanted. Going to your MOS school just be cautioned you will be working party until your class picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    You do not have to take leave.... Go buy you a tent and a fishing pole and go camping for 10 days.....
    hehehe thats what im talkin bout! But poolee is from New York City.

Big 5 Sporting Goods has a "disposable" Coleman tent for $39.00 big enough for a young Marine and all his possibles, saw it yesterday.
    You talkin Case Springs? Maybe it's been stocked with Bow's since you last dunked your monofilament

You can check in early but you will just be put in SAC co. or assigned to do camp guard until the next ITB picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matlock09 View Post
    You can check in early but you will just be put in SAC co. or assigned to do camp guard until the next ITB picks up.
    Yea and I would NOT suggest that. The little bit of time I spent waiting to pick up was a mixed bag of fun because it was the first freedom you had while on base and lots of BS and getting yelled at by stupid Lcps who were broke, and disgruntled Cpls and Sgts who had been busted down and stuck to watch over us

Credits
    Savings
    Check into your next unit early..
    You might find you'll learn something while the others
    are back home eating pogiebait.
    Work details aren't all that bad, and who knows,
    you may actually find you like what you're doing while
    waiting for the rest of the group to catch up with you.
    Nothing says you wont be assigned to another training
    unit before you're intended .. Injuries to other Newbies while
    home on leave may push you a week ahead on your training Cycle..

I still think its incredibly retarded not to take boot leave. You're not going to learn anything in ten days sitting around with a bunch of other miserable boots waiting to pick up. You'll just have wasted your first chance at freedom. You may not get leave again till you come back from a deployment depending on what unit you end up with and where they are in the rotation.

Thread Information