Women in Combat?
Closed Thread

Women in Combat?

Hello. I understand that this is section is mainly for questions about joining the Marine Corps and not for questions like these, but I feel uncomfortable posting in the other sections because I am not a Marine or a Marine relative. I also understand that the topic of women in combat has been covered before. Many times, Marines who have had experience fighting say that women shouldn't be allowed in combat as riflemen because they are capable. I somewhat agree with that opinion. However, no one has ever discussed women serving as tank drivers, gunners, or commanders. I was just curious whether any of you might think women should be allowed to serve on tanks. Thanks.

Credits
    Savings

Nope .........................

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Tung View Post
    Hello. I understand that this is section is mainly for questions about joining the Marine Corps and not for questions like these, but I feel uncomfortable posting in the other sections because I am not a Marine or a Marine relative. I also understand that the topic of women in combat has been covered before. Many times, Marines who have had experience fighting say that women shouldn't be allowed in combat as riflemen because they are capable. I somewhat agree with that opinion. However, no one has ever discussed women serving as tank drivers, gunners, or commanders. I was just curious whether any of you might think women should be allowed to serve on tanks. Thanks.

What difference would there be in a tank or as a ground ponder ! seriously ?
    Moz USMC 68-70

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Todays wars are all about the ground pounder so go right ahead and stay in the rear and paint all the tanks you like.

There are opportunities for women to get some, you just have to be creative. First, you have Motor T. Motor T (mainly operators) spends, if not every day, every other day outside the wire running convoys. I have even seen a few female gunners (regardless of opinions on the topic). Although, many did struggle with racking back the .50 though.

Someone has never watched Trackers or Tankers walk track or fix a busted track, or sling main gun rounds up onto the tank.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that working on tanks is less physically active than being a grunt. That's why I was wondering whether that would change your minds on women in combat.

Tankers have a heavy lifting MOS. Those track sections, road wheels and rounds aren't light. The PM on those things is intensive.

Oh. I probably should have done more research before running my mouth off, huh? Never mind about all of this then. Thanks for the opinions.

Concur. Not for the faint or heart or light of weight.

I'll allow this topic to continue, just keep it ON topic, AND respectful in all directions.

We all have our personal opinions (Mine? If you can pack the gear, you can do the job, I don't care what you have 'tween the legs....but that means NO reduction of standards whatsoever to account for 'gender'. None.), and as long as you express them RESPECTFULLY it'll be allowed. The first derogatory term I see from ANYone, that person will be tossed out of this section....and perhaps the entire site, for a time period to be determined later.

You've been warned....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    (just shakes my head) and moves on................

Credits
    Savings

Tracs...........................

If I remember correctly ? For every hour of running time there was four hours of Maintenance (Tank/Amtrac ) ? And yes there is a lot of heavy lifting and you must be able to handle a ten pound sledge hammer and qualify with it !
    but hey that was 41 years ago !

I apologize for insulting any Marines that worked on tanks. I should've done my research. Is there any way to close this thread so that there will not be any further confusion?

You didn't insult ANYone. You simply asked a question. If anyone had their feelings hurt (which I doubt) then so be it.

However, you have, in fact, been provided some good information which perhaps enlightens you on the subject. I would encourage you to continue research...and not get discouraged, either.

Closed at your request.

Thread Information