A few officer questions
Create Post

A few officer questions

A few questions.
    Sorry i know it says im a poolee, ive been enlisted since 2009, just dont know how to change my profile anyway.

Im currently 0311 been a grunt for 2 years now and im a reservist. I love it but school has stopped giving me financial aid so now im S.O.L. lol, anyway i want to go officer and become either an infantry officer or, tank 1802. Im more leaning towards the 1802 part because i tore my acl and just recently got surgery and dont want to put a lot of constant stress and re tear it kicking me out of the Marine Corp. My question is (I saw the fourm at the top saying theres only one opening)
    1) But whats the chances of getting 1802 as a reservist's again? (I want to go to law school then re-up as a lawyer)

2) I also have a kid on the way, and going to get married soon. Is it easier to get BAH as an officer (0-1) or would i have to wait till im an 0-3 +

3) Im about to be a sophomore in college this semester, when i finish and ready to go into commissioning i should be done with my sophomore year. What program would be best for me to choose the Platoon leaders course two six week summers doing the MECEP program or one of the others? Also will they pay for my college, or will i be getting 337 dollars a month from the MGSR chapter 1606, like i do now?

4) sorr i know its a lot of questions and im going to talk to my officer when i get a chance. I just wanted more advice to show my officer im ready for this task before i go ask him a bunch of questions. lastly would it be better to wait and become an attorney (master of criminal law) or should i go officer now and switch my mos.

Thank you, appreciate it and i know the rules say no profile update no answer, but for some reason i dont know how to switch it from poolee to Lcpl.

also i cant find anything that answered all these questions so i figured i would ask it

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    When you registered on this site, you had a bunch of choices of which one to select. Marine was one, poolee another, Marine friend, etc so you must have just selected poolee instead of Marine. Now only a mod can change it back for you. Send a PM to Sgt Leprechaun, who can help you with that.
    But the menu was right there when you signed up

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    My mistake, I thought you just signed up, the way you said you don't know how to change your profile I thought you hit the wrong selection, but now I see you signed up two years ago.
    Just PM Sgt Lep, he can change that for you, and there are people here who can answer the other questions for you, too

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DHaskins8 View Post
    My mistake, I thought you just signed up, the way you said you don't know how to change your profile I thought you hit the wrong selection, but now I see you signed up two years ago.
    Just PM Sgt Lep, he can change that for you, and there are people here who can answer the other questions for you, too
    Yes just PM Sgt Lep. To the best of my knowledge we can't change our own membership type.

If you want to be an officer of Marines, first thing you need to learn is how to spell Marine Corps...geez. I know, you were typing fast, and by the time you caught your mistake it was too late to change it (that's what everybody else says anyway).

Don't think you are officer material son. But, good luck anyway.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    If you want to be an officer of Marines, first thing you need to learn is how to spell Marine Corps...geez. I know, you were typing fast, and by the time you caught your mistake it was too late to change it (that's what everybody else says anyway).

Don't think you are officer material son. But, good luck anyway.

Top, normally I try and answer these type of questions but these are well beyond my pay grade

Talsik have you talked with an OSO? I doubt an enlisted recruiter with be able to sort all this out. But try this website

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

It's OCS Marines. It's very similar to LN. Just register and begin browsing

Good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by Talcik View Post
    [i]'ve been enlisted since 2009...[i] want to go officer and become either an infantry officer or, tank 1802... [i] tore my acl and just recently got surgery and dont want to put a lot of constant stress...
    1) But whats the chances of getting 1802 as a reservist's again? (I want to go to law school then re-up as a lawyer)

2) I also have a kid on the way, and going to get married soon. Is it easier to get BAH as an officer (0-1) or would i have to wait till im an 0-3 +

3) Im about to be a sophomore in college this semester, when i finish and ready to go into commissioning i should be done with my sophomore year. What program would be best for me to choose the Platoon leaders course two six week summers doing the MECEP program or one of the others? Also will they pay for my college, or will i be getting 337 dollars a month from the MGSR chapter 1606, like i do now?

4) ...lastly would it be better to wait and become an attorney (master of criminal law) or should i go officer now and switch my mos.
    1) I've heard rumblings of OCC(R) for commissioning as a reserve officer, but I don't have any details, and I don't know how that would effect your MOS selection. You would still have to go to TBS and have your MOS selected there; but I don't know the competitiveness of MOS slots as a reservist. (Also, technically speaking all new 2ndLts are reservists and access to the regular component only if/when they are offered/accept career designation, at which point their EAS becomes indefinite.)

2) I don't think rank or enlisted vs. dark-side would have any bearing on getting BAH. It will come down to whether you rate it or not. That said, I know several single 2ndLts do receive BAH and often get a place together in town as roommates.

3) Tough question. I don't know how the reserve side goes about MECEP and any other commissioning programs. But, since you're having trouble with financial aid, MECEP would be a good way to go to get your school paid for (I believe). Not sure at what point you do OCS as a MECEPer. One of my platoon mates was (I believe) A MECEPer and we went through OCC together -- so you may do that vice PLC. An OSO should be able to answer your question better and with more detail.

4) I don't think you can lat move from tanks to law as an officer. Again, I don't know that for sure, but it doesn't seem likely. JAGs come in on their own contracts -- its one of the few ways to go to the dark side knowing what your MOS will be.

Hope that helps a little, but definitely get in touch with an OSO via your OIC. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Talcik View Post
    A few questions.
    Sorry i know it says im a poolee, ive been enlisted since 2009, just dont know how to change my profile anyway.

Im currently 0311 been a grunt for 2 years now and im a reservist. I love it but school has stopped giving me financial aid so now im S.O.L. lol, anyway i want to go officer and become either an infantry officer or, tank 1802. Im more leaning towards the 1802 part because i tore my acl and just recently got surgery and dont want to put a lot of constant stress and re tear it kicking me out of the Marine Corp. My question is (I saw the fourm at the top saying theres only one opening)

4) sorr i know its a lot of questions and im going to talk to my officer when i get a chance. I just wanted more advice to show my officer im ready for this task before i go ask him a bunch of questions. lastly would it be better to wait and become an attorney (master of criminal law) or should i go officer now and switch my mos.

Thank you, appreciate it and i know the rules say no profile update no answer, but for some reason i dont know how to switch it from poolee to Lcpl.
    1. Reservists are assigned MOSs based on destination. So to get Tanks, you need to be headed to a Tank unit. Officer's don't "re-up." If you become an 1802 reserve officer you would have to switch units later and be retrained as a 4402 (Judge Advocate) after you finish law school. It is unlikely any unit will pay for this. I experienced the same problem. If you want to go active duty as a Judge Advocate you have to be accepted by a Return to Active Duty board and that is unlikely since the Corps just spent a bunch of $$ training you as 1802.

2. Officers can choose to live on or off base. They don't need to wait until they are a certain rank.

3. There are many ways. Best to talk to an Officer Selection Officer. I think there is an enlisted reserve to officer program.

4. You need a law degree, not a master of criminal law to be an attorney. If you want to be a Judge Advocate, the best advice I can give you is to stay enlisted reserve until you get your law degree, then apply as a JAG contract.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    An OSO will not help you since you are a reservist (somewhat enlisted). You will need to talk to your Platoon SGT, but since you are a weekend warrior, I do not know. Its probably better for you to get your degree first, then go officer.
    Even if you finish OCS, you still need to get that degree before picking up 2ndLT.

Just Saying...

Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    An OSO will not help you since you are a reservist (somewhat enlisted). You will need to talk to your Platoon SGT, but since you are a weekend warrior, I do not know. Its probably better for you to get your degree first, then go officer.
    Even if you finish OCS, you still need to get that degree before picking up 2ndLT.

Just Saying...
    Several enlisted Marines in my unit are working with OSO's. I talk with their OSO's and help them with their packages. You should certainly keep your chain of command in the loop because you will need help, but don't expect them to go out of their way to help you become an officer.

Profile changed.

Thread Information