Marine Corps License Plate
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine Corps License Plate

My son graduated PI on 4/15 and I want to get a Marine Corps license plate, but I also want it personalized.

My question is this - if I request "OORAH" or "OOHRA" since I'm only allowed 5 characters, would either of those be disrespectful?

I know it may seem like a silly question or I may be over-thinking, but I am extremely proud of my son and don't want to do anything to disrespect the Corps.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiMom View Post
    My son graduated PI on 4/15 and I want to get a Marine Corps license plate, but I also want it personalized.

My question is this - if I request "OORAH" or "OOHRA" since I'm only allowed 5 characters, would either of those be disrespectful?

I know it may seem like a silly question or I may be over-thinking, but I am extremely proud of my son and don't want to do anything to disrespect the Corps.
    FL only allows you five letters? WOW here in Virginia we can have 7. If you go online to your DMV, do they allow you to type in a personalized plate to see if it's taken? My bet is that both of those were taken long ago.You may need to be a bit more creative

And you have every right to be proud of your son!!!!!!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    SFMOM

And then have your son purchase....at the PX....or yourself at swap meets.....flea markets....surplus store a license ring or wat' ever they are called with Proud USMC Mom.....

My suggestion....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    SFM#1....

You're allowed 7 characters on a regular State plate, but when you choose a specialty plate such as the Marine Corps, a collegiate plate, etc, you're limited to just 5 characters because space is take up by the logo.

The application asks you to give your top 3 choices. I'm willing to use zeroes in place of the letter "O", but I want to make sure I'm not requesting something I shouldn't.

I will see if I can check availability online...thanks

Credits
    Savings
    If those two are taken I was thinking JARHD, SMPFI but I suspect these are taken as well. With only 5 letters you are very limited

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiMom View Post
    You're allowed 7 characters on a regular State plate, but when you choose a specialty plate such as the Marine Corps, a collegiate plate, etc, you're limited to just 5 characters because space is take up by the logo.

The application asks you to give your top 3 choices. I'm willing to use zeroes in place of the letter "O", but I want to make sure I'm not requesting something I shouldn't.

I will see if I can check availability online...thanks
    I think you're fine with regards to respect. But FL is a big state with many retired Vets. Let us know how you make out

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    SFM#1....
    Thanks for the suggestions

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    To Oorah or Not to Oorah?

Story by Ed Vasgerdsian

I was a Marine before they got rid of the M1 rifle, .45-caliber pistol and C-rations and, these things not withstanding, there have been other changes in the Corps as well. As a former Marine, try as I may to keep up with change, it is neither easy nor possible. Reunions aren't any help since they reinforce what I already know or remind me of what I've forgotten. Most former Marines can find old duty stations and a few friends and that's about it.

For the most part we're condemned to whimsical attempts of sounding like we know what we're talking about when we are confronted by our modern Marine Corps. Based upon a recent experience, I've now decided to face reality and admit the truth: I don't know what "oorah" means.

I overheard a couple of young Marines talking, and as they parted company one said to the other, "Oorah!" What a strange word! I guessed it was a food, a drink, a new weapon or a foreign word that had a universal meaning. You know, "Hey, don't forget to bring the oorah." "Why don't we barbecue an oorah?" "I broke my oorah." "The gunny wants to see the oorah." "Oorah for the Red, White and Blue." (Maybe the latter was Hooray--for the Red, White and Blue.) I recalled words from my own Marine Corps experience, like slopchute, pogey bait, shelter half and Mickey Mouse boots but never oorah--or is it oorah?

Later, a Marine at Quantico used the word with me during a telephone conversation. "Oorah, sir," he said, as he hung up. I couldn't respond by saying, "Eh, what was that you said?" Out of desperation I almost said, "Haroo," hoping it meant something like, "The same to you, buddy," or "See you later." Over a period of two months I heard oorah used several times. If there was an appropriate response, what was it? Had the Marine Corps been modernized to the point of using an east Indian mantra?

I live in a large metropolitan city where there are several colleges and universities; surely someone could explain oorah. My plan was to simply say, "Oorah" and wait for a reaction.

Winkie's Wine and Spirits Shop told me they were out of oorah but Ouzo, the Greek stuff, was just as good. I asked for an oorah at a coffee shop, and I was told if it wasn't on the menu, then they didn't have it. At a clothing store I was told lambswool held up better than oorah, and an anthropologist said oorahs have been extinct for thousands of years. At home my wife suggested the grass needed cutting, and the kids shrugged their shoulders implying my early senility. I researched volumes of word books and dictionaries, including military, and found nothing.

As the clouds of darkness gave way to a brighter light, I realized oorah must be strictly military. But where did it come from? There had to be an explanation. I was prepared to accept anything because there are other sayings the Marine Corps has accepted without question.

"Semper Fi," short for Semper Fidelis, is Latin and it means "always faithful." To my knowledge there were no Marines attached to the Roman Legion, yet we use it. "Gung ho" is a Chinese expression that translates into "working together." It became popular when movie actor Randolph Scott portrayed Marine Raider Lieutenant Colonel Evans F. Carlson in the movie by the same name.

"Saddle up" is a cavalry term that John Wayne overused in a portrayal of a Marine gunnery sergeant in the award-winning movie, "The Sands of Iwo Jima."

Historically, there were Marines on horseback but not on Tarawa or Iwo Jima. These were expressions used as part of the Marine Corps I knew, and I never challenged their origins because they were real words, be they Latin, Chinese or U.S. Cavalry.

Ultimately, I gave up pursuing the origin of oorah. After all, there are other things about life and the Marine Corps I didn't understand, so I need not get hung up on this word. I never knew why I didn't make general, and I don't understand how I never shot expert on the rifle range. Oorah would be another unknown factor in my life.

Meanwhile, I promise never to use oorah before shaving, after driving, while watching TV or after Thanksgiving dinner. Further, I will never speak of oorahs in mixed company, be they men, women, republicans or democrats.

Should I encounter an oorah I will not challenge its authority, intimidate it or imitate its behavior. This I promise, so help me, Chesty Puller.

Editor's note: Ed Vasgerdsian, a retired law enforcement officer who served in the Marine Corps from 1953 to 1959, is a free-lance writer.

Quote Originally Posted by michagnu View Post
    Nov10
    That's a good one, but it's taken.

I found the availability tool online and so far the only one I've been able to think of that is available is -MYBOI-

I'll keep working on it!

My license plate is Gung H...someone in St. Louis
    has Gung Ho...so I got the next best!

SemperFi Mom, you are lucky as Alabama will only issue Marine Corps plates to active, retired or honorably discharged. As a family member, unfortunately we can't have the plates even though the proceeds go to the Department of Alabama Marine Corps League. My Son attempted to get his while he was here before deployment and even though he had his ID with him, he also was told he needed his DD214 and his deployment papers....even though the State website says otherwise. His ID should have been enough....gotta love the DMV.

Personal Plate

This is Mine with a little pocket change you can have them made..

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Florida issues vanity tags for almost any subject.....to anyone....which is a good thing.....and a whatever thing.

Pride in her sons achievements and service is a good thing.....

You pay for the tag extra than a standard in addition to the fees and registration....

Supporting the military is good.....when someone gets one and is using it for ulterior motives it is a baddddddddddd thing.....

Thread Information