How do you pick Job in 03xx???
Create Post

How do you pick Job in 03xx???

Hello Marines, I would like to know how it is that jobs are assigned in the 03xx field. The reason I ask this is because I DO NOT want become a mortarman. I want to go into 0311 or 0331. How do they decide who goes where? is there like a wish list or do you pick? are there any particular things one must possess to go into a field? I got a 80 on my asvab, 117 gt score, im 6'1" and not very muscular or fat. should i be a certain kind of person? (from what ive heard, big bulky guys go into mortarmar cuz they can carry the mortars, etc.) also if im bulky, would i go into 0331? I really want to know, thanks and god bless.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus5405 View Post
    Hello Marines, I would like to know how it is that jobs are assigned in the 03xx field. The reason I ask this is because I DO NOT want become a mortarman. I want to go into 0311 or 0331. How do they decide who goes where? is there like a wish list or do you pick? are there any particular things one must possess to go into a field? I got a 80 on my asvab, 117 gt score, im 6'1" and not very muscular or fat. should i be a certain kind of person? (from what ive heard, big bulky guys go into mortarmar cuz they can carry the mortars, etc.) also if im bulky, would i go into 0331? I really want to know, thanks and god bless.
    Sounds like you're condemned to be a mortarman. Big and bulky means nothing. If you go to mortars you'll become big and bulky. Just kidding.

Actually, part of it depends on your math scores, the higher those are, the higher your chances of mortars. They MIGHT ask your preference, but don't count on it.

And it doesn't really matter what MOS you get, you'll still be humping a mortar round or two for the mortar section. Not to mention an extra 100-round belt for the machine guns.

Credits
    Savings
    I can still recall some of the "help" that was sent to the mortar section at different times
    One small Marine was told one round two hands -well he did it two rounds two hands
    Damm near dropped a round.
    He was shaking for an hour when it was pointed out how close he just came to
    "the end"

"The reason I ask this is because I DO NOT want become a mortarman."
    Then don't join the infantry. You'll be assigned a job and that's it. The shortest kid in my class at SOI was a mortarman. He was barely as tall as the 81MM. The skinniest Marine was a machinegunner. You won't have any better idea how they pick MOSs after you look at your class. I suppose ASVAB scores might have something to do with it but I never asked.

When you get to SOI you will draw numbers out of a hat. That number will be your MOS.

Not exactaly but i think it could work.

So do you all mean to tell me that there is no way I can get prepare myself for a certain mos? There are no factors the Marines use for assigning jobs it's just random no consideration? I mean if it's size I can get bigger to go 0331, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus5405 View Post
    So do you all mean to tell me that there is no way I can get prepare myself for a certain mos? There are no factors the Marines use for assigning jobs it's just random no consideration? I mean if it's size I can get bigger to go 0331, etc.
    Correct. Prepare to be in the infantry. Semper Gumby.

EgggggZAKly.

Thank you all for answering my question, God bless the Marine Corps.

Well I don't know where everyone is getting their info but they are wrong.

MOS fields are based on your scores from the first 4 weeks of SOI called the 03xx package. You will be tested on infantry basics. Nav, Weapons, Patrolling and whatnot.

Based on those scores and a PFT you will receive a class ranking. Then you will be given a "wishlist". Based on your ranking you will be given what you want for infantry. Of course that is based on needs of the Marine Corps. Also if there is space. Remember Reservists enlist to a specific 03 field, where Active guys don't pick until SOI.

More than likely if you put 0311 you will get it.

Well, when I went to SOI, what we did was on the 2nd week of the basic 03 package, they asked for volunteers for weapons. You were required to pass all the tests, not fall out of a hike, and have a first class PFT (225 and above). Even then, we still came short and we went out and hunted down potential candidates for our instructors. This is quite common in almost every single class from my experience and what my boots tell me.
    Size doesn't matter, as long as you can do the job. I'm 5 foot 6, but I hike 800 rounds and an M240, no sweat.

Thread Information