Poor Abused Casey Anthony - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    In most states, Kevin, circumstantial evidence has exactly the same weight as direct evidence. The jury decides the case (after the media does, of course) but the jury weighs cirumstantial and direct equally. It's just a matter of how much credibility they give to the evidence and to the witnesses. They can choose to believe or disbelieve any or all that a witness said, etc
    But circumstantial evidence has sent many a person to prison. They don't need direct evidence in order to convict. Even if the entire case is circumstantial, they can still convict. Many times there is no direct evidence.
    But the media is trying the case as we speak, while there is a jury trial going on, which is always good for all concerned.
    All true, Dave. Living down here in Florida, most folks want to publicly burn Casey Anthony at the stake if she's found guilty (me too). But, most people don't understand that the presumption of innocence only extends to the court and court proceedings. The presumption begins and ends at the courthouse door. The average citizen or the media can make whatever pre-judgement they want and speak it aloud.

At least this case has some semblance of a dead body. Some murder cases don't even have that and convictions are gained.

Although I sorta-kinda keep track of this trial, I agree that the media coverage is really overboard. I refuse to watch Geraldo Rivera as he is so shrill in pointing out prosecution weaknesses that most of his guests (a lot of whom are Florida attorneys or ex-judges) don't see. Nancy Grace is less shrill (for a change), and she thinks Anthony is guilty.

I do like that they televise real trials sometimes so people can see how friggin' boring the damned things really are to sit through.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yeah, if you're up front at the tables, there is a lot more to stay busy with. I've been the OIC at a number of trials, so I know what goes on. But being an average spectator in the gallery bores me to tears.

You know what they say about juries: What can you expect from 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My DSL was out since Tuesday. For lack of ability to feed my news habit, I was forced to resort to actually watching the Casey Anthony trial. With the exception of some of the scientific testimony (which has residual professional interest to me), it is just as boring as I remember them as a spectator.

I'll tell you the judge is getting tired of the attorneys bickering over minor points. Judge Perry is a mild mannered, Florida gentleman, but he is not a pushover. He owns the courtroom. He has a superior reputation as a judge and he has been showing it in this trial. He is 8 for 8 in death penalty sentences being upheld on appeal in trials he presided over.

Yesterday he had to tell the lawyers to stop yelling towards him while making arguments out of the jury's presence. He made the prosecutor sit down and "relax."

I don't think the jury will send Anthony to the death chamber, if they find her guilty of 1st degree murder.

I do wonder if she was coached to sit and wear a "b*tch face," staring coldly ahead, looking p*ssed or inconvenienced, even when defense witnesses are up. I was trained, as an OIC, to look appropriately serious, but relaxed and human regardless of who was up. She doesn't leave a good impression with anyone watching. Then again, maybe that is the best serious, but relaxed and human expression she can do.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Watched the downfall of a titan today without joy. The Casey Anthony defense's forensic pathologist was Dr Werner Spitz. I knew Dr Spitz for a number of years as he had been the medical examiner in Wayne County (where Detroit is) and in Macomb County (where I worked). His son is the ME in Macomb County now.

I learned a lot about death investigations from him at seminars and at his elbow during autopsies. It used to be that if he testified to something you could take it to the bank. As an ME, if he didn't know it, it wasn't worth knowing. I always learned new things at every autopsy of his that I attended.

Dr Spitz is obviously well past his prime and needs to fully retire. He was terrible today at the Anthony trial on cross-examination. I felt really bad for him. He was confused, argumentative, and I know he testified to always doing something that I have personal knowledge that he did NOT always do at autopsy (open the cranium).

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    In most states, Kevin, circumstantial evidence has exactly the same weight as direct evidence. The jury decides the case (after the media does, of course) but the jury weighs cirumstantial and direct equally. It's just a matter of how much credibility they give to the evidence and to the witnesses. They can choose to believe or disbelieve any or all that a witness said, etc
    But circumstantial evidence has sent many a person to prison. They don't need direct evidence in order to convict. Even if the entire case is circumstantial, they can still convict. Many times there is no direct evidence.
    But the media is trying the case as we speak, while there is a jury trial going on, which is always good for all concerned.
    What say you now Dave? I knew they didn't have enough evidence now another murderer will be on the streets scott free.

This is the sis tum that our forefathers have fought and died for, Its the same system that we Marines have fought and died form Like it or not it is still the best in the world,

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Heglar View Post
    It's all a misunderstanding. Caylee drowned in the swimming pool accidently and Casey was abused by her dad having to go to school thinking of his penis in her mouth, Alledgedly! It all makes since now.

I've known people beat near to death and were the designated family "deposit box" their whole life and still made something out of themselves. Don't hand me that ****. Life is what YOU make it at the age of accountability. It's a sad deal all the way around. (Pretty sure you are being facetious. I'm being serious.)

Freed mother set to make a fortune from media interviews... but will family take her back?
    Daily Mail UK ^ | Last updated at 3:02 PM on 6th July 2011 | By Fiona Roberts

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:21:33 PM by Red Badger

Casey Anthony has become the most vilified woman in America, condemned as a compulsive liar and heartless mother who murdered her own daughter so she could spend her life shopping and partying.

But with today's sensational not-guilty verdict, the 25-year-old could be free as early as Thursday morning to begin the slow process of rebuilding her life - and cash in on her new-found celebrity status.

There is already speculation the compelling case could be turned into a movie, and she is likely to be inundated with lucrative television and book deals worth millions of dollars.

Despite the acquittal of capital murder charges, the Casey family lawyer said it was too early to say if they would welcome Casey back.

Speaking after the verdict he said: 'The family hopes that they will be given the time by the media to reflect on this verdict and decide the best way to move forward privately.'

Although Casey smiled and broke into tears of delight as she learned she had escaped the death penalty, she is also likely to face the fear of attack from an angry public who were stunned by the jury's decision.

She will also have to confront her family, which was torn apart after her defence team dramatically accused both her father and brother of sexually abusing her.

[snip]

Countless chat shows will give her the opportunity of telling her story for the first time - an offer she seems likely to take up, after her defence team had to dissuade her from giving testimony at the trial.

And because she has been found not guilty, there is nothing to stop Anthony selling her story to the highest bidder.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

The outcome of this trial has made me completely lose all faith in the American justice system. So apparently in this country now a mother can kill and dismember her little girl and walk. That is not the America I know. The b*t*h should of been found guilty and sentenced to death, or at least made sterile. I have no confidence or faith left in our justice system. Makes me sick.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Chit I'm still Pizzed about O.J...getting away with Murder,as Far watching anything Me and My Lovely Wife just take the BIGGG MIRROR off tha Wall put it next 2 tha Bed and go XXX Rated

The outcome of that trial makes me feel ashamed to be a Floridian. The whole nation and the world our laughing their asses off at Florida right now I think.

This really reminded me of the old Soviet show trials that you would see under Communism and in Eastern Europe. I think our country should do what they do in England and not let cameras in courtrooms, it just turns it into a circus.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    F*ck that B*tch !!!

I believe she was guilty but the prosecution failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As I wrote in another thread, I watched a lot of that trial (I have no life) and I thought the prosecution had proved at least a manslaughter case. I never thought she was going to get the death penalty even if they found her on 1st Degree Murder.

Casey Anthony still faces a civil trial for slander from the woman whose name she used as "Zanny the Nanny." Hopefully this woman will win the civil trial and end up with most of Casey's book and movie cash. Casey has already been served (in jail) with a civil deposition subpoena for July 16. I would imagine the plaintiff's attorney will also be going to court post haste to motion for all of Casey's potential book and movie income be placed into an escrow account pending the verdict in the civil trial.

Casey can still refuse to talk in the civil deposition or civil trial, but the jury will be instructed that her failure to answer questions can be taken by them in the worst possible light against Casey (no 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination in civil trials, except when a criminal trial encompassing the same issues is pending). As a result this civil case has been on hold for almost three years too.

This civil case is where the lying to police convictions will hurt Casey.

Look what happened to OJ. He got off on the criminal charges, but owes his soul to the Goldman family from the civil trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Conch View Post
    The outcome of that trial makes me feel ashamed to be a Floridian. The whole nation and the world our laughing their asses off at Florida right now I think.

This really reminded me of the old Soviet show trials that you would see under Communism and in Eastern Europe. I think our country should do what they do in England and not let cameras in courtrooms, it just turns it into a circus.
    We are not laughing at Florida. We are gathering our pennies and planning on vacationing elsewhere. Shame on them.

Thread Information