How hard is bootcamp?
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

How hard is bootcamp?

Hello Marines, I have a few concerns about bootcamp that I wanted to clear up. I've heard that the cs gas you are put through is unbearable and clears your sinuses immediately I was wondering if that was true and if it is really that bad. I also was wondering if they will teach you how to swim if you don't know how because I can't swim. One more question, what do you have to do to get a perfect score on the pft?

The gas chamber isn't unbearable. You go in, do some jumpin jacks, break the seal, clear your mask and go back out. It's a little irratating to the skin but once outside you'll be good to go in bout 5 min. Yes they teach you how to swim. During the week of swim qual you will go to the pool earlier for instruction than the recruits that can swim. And a perfect score on the PFT is 20 pull ups, 100 crunches and 3 miles in 18:00

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, I appreciate the info.

Just a thought, SRSDSD, you may want to check into swim lessons at the YMCA. They give lessons for all ages and they will go over the basics so that you will be able to handle swim qual. That's all you really need to know. You do not have to be a member of a YMCA to get swim lessons and they are fairly inexpensive for a 6 week lesson course.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks. Will do. I'm actually about to start DEP soon. I just want to be ready for it all. Im very excited about becoming a Marine. I'm trying to be in top physical condition.

Quote Originally Posted by SRSDSD View Post
    Hello Marines, I have a few concerns about bootcamp that I wanted to clear up. I've heard that the cs gas you are put through is unbearable and clears your sinuses immediately I was wondering if that was true and if it is really that bad. I also was wondering if they will teach you how to swim if you don't know how because I can't swim. One more question, what do you have to do to get a perfect score on the pft?
    Every service gets gassed in recruit training. As Marines, we train a specific way and with a specific mentality because of our function within DoD. As Dave said, the DIs want 110% at all times so keep that in mind.

They will teach you how to swim, however getting swim lessons is a great idea. DEP time for you will be at least 6 months. Plenty of time for you to enlist, get in shape, learn how to swim and mentally prepare yourself.

Fear of the water is a terrible thing. When you go to the pool just do as the Instructors tell you and you will be fine. Boot Camp is what you make it. Mae sure you move fast and sound off all the time you are in Recruit Training and you will have no problems.

Fact: You as a young man going into Boot Camp will be the hardest thing you have ever done in your life. Do yourself a favor join the Y. Learn to swim. It will get you in the best shape of your life. I played in the pool all my life and had a hard time swimming in boot. I swim like a rock still to date.

Thread Information