Poolee getting married...need advice - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    I see non judicial punishment in his future when she starts bouncing checks all around town.

Oh boy....sounds like Nick is in for lots of problems with his new bride.
    She shouldn't be asking people to accompany her and Nick on a snowboarding trip scheduled for February 20 when Nick himself has no idea where he'll be. She needs to realize that she can't make plans for her and Nick and expect him to just take off on her beckon call......doesn't work that way. For Nick, the Marine Corps comes first, then her.
    Maybe Nick's dad needs to step in and say something to him about her, or she's going to be causing him lots of problems with his chain-of-command.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I will leave that decision up to Nick's dad. I did tell him a short while ago about the furniture and the trip, but he avoids confrontation like the plague so I don't know if he will say anything.

I don't think they even have an apartment yet. Common sense should dictate that you should find a place to live first, then start furnishing it. What if all that furniture doesn't fit into a place they can afford?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I did a little calculating for you. These numbers are rough and rounded off.

Nick's base pay as an E-2 under two-years: $1,671/month (FICA and federal income taxes are withheld from this). His monthly net is roughly: $1,300.

His BAH at Camp Lejuene rates: $1,100/month (not taxable)

BAS: $384/month (not taxable)

His net, all pay and allowances: $1,392/payday ($2,784/month).

That has to cover everything if wifezilla does not work.

Give her to Jody,problem solved,Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinestepmom View Post
    I don't think they even have an apartment yet. Common sense should dictate that you should find a place to live first, then start furnishing it. What if all that furniture doesn't fit into a place they can afford?

My wife ( a real estate agent) and daughter-in-law started collecting used furniture 6 mos before she moved down there with him. I think they had all of $150 in everything except for a bed, had a U-haul lined up and the trip planned with her parents.............they ended up finding a furnished apt. pretty reasonably priced.

Needless to say, we all have plenty of furniture until they decide to move.

I think I will change my "sit back and watch" statement to: "somebody probably needs to speak up on Nicks behalf since he is busy becoming a US Marine and wifezilla/dependasaurus is busy spending his money"

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I did a little calculating for you. These numbers are rough and rounded off.

Nick's base pay as an E-2 under two-years: $1,671/month (FICA and federal income taxes are withheld from this). His monthly net is roughly: $1,300.

His BAH at Camp Lejuene rates: $1,100/month (not taxable)

BAS: $384/month (not taxable)

His net, all pay and allowances: $1,392/payday ($2,784/month).

That has to cover everything if wifezilla does not work.
    It could be that I'm not reading this thread correctly and have the timeline wrong, but I see a couple issues with Nick and Bride's plans.

1. His school is not rated for dependents. Which means he can not reside off base (unless something drastic has changed in the past 3 years). We had to check in every night to make sure everyone was at the barracks. And when I was Camp Johnson (2009), we weren't even allowed in personal vehicles. Ever.

2. He'll still rate BAH for his dependent's location since his school doesn't allow dependent travel. He will also still be collecting FSA (Family Separation Allowance), but the catch here is that if he tells his chain of command that Bride moved to North Carolina "with the intent to reside there" (that's really important), he'll lose that money immediately. And they'll check him back to the day she moved there.

3. Again, since he's not allowed to live out in town, he'll still have his meal card, so no SepRats (which is the technical term, since every Marine gets BAS, but if you have a mealcard you have it taken away by the Discounted Meal Rate ((9.25 a day)). Anyway, no extra food money. And, FYI, that money is ment to pay for the Marine's food. It is not actually designed to pay for a family's grocery bill.

4. Dad needs to talk to Nick about adjusting his tax allowances. If he's married and she's not working, he can claim her and it'll reduce the amount taken out of his pay.

Long story short: Her moving to Camp Johnson is ridiculous and so is buying the furniture. He's going to a headache to his command before he even gets there with his financial issues.

Credits
    Savings
    I love the nicknames you use! I think the trip is occurring after he's completed MOS, but since he has no idea where he's going after graduation (or when), planning a trip is definitely not a good idea.

The other thing that bothers me is that she's making these purchases without his input. MarineDAD92, your daughter-in-law seems to have a good head on her shoulders. Just out of curiosity, how old are your son and his wife?

Credits
    Savings
    My husband received a text from Nick this morning. He thinks he's going to be sent to Japan. Bride has been telling people they're going to be in South Carolina.

I can't wait to find out how this plays out...

. MarineDAD92, your daughter-in-law seems to have a good head on her shoulders. Just out of curiosity, how old are your son and his wife?
    She is 20 he will be 20 soon.

They are doing OK and seem to be making decent decions with money........until last night. Got a call saying they were going to be moving to a larger 2 bedroom apt. within the complex. One of those times where I just had to bite my tongue since they made this decision together..........my tongue is very sore this morning.

Thier current place IS small, but fine for 2 people. Oh well......

My husband received a text from Nick this morning. He thinks he's going to be sent to Japan. Bride has been telling people they're going to be in South Carolina.

If he does get sent to Japan, it will probably be on an unaccompanied tour, and I'm sure she won't be happy about that.

The downside to Japan is he'll make loads of money and unless he's careful, she'll spend it all.

Or he will.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Wow!! What is she going to do then? He will be in Japan, and she will be here with all new furniture. Someone needs to put some sense in that girls head.

Quote Originally Posted by Parks View Post
    The downside to Japan is he'll make loads of money and unless he's careful, she'll spend it all.

Or he will.
    Or he can open his OWN separate account in another credit union/bank and just give her some type of living allowance for her to get by on, or.........she can get off her lazy duff and get herself a job!

If he doesnt get her in check now then he will have a very short stint in the Marines. I know several in my unit that were constantly receiving NJP because of their wives bouncing checks and creating chaos. Damn dependopotamus.

Thread Information