I.D. Question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I.D. Question

I.D. Question

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I was needing to know if anyone knew what I had to do to get an I.D. I already left the Marine Corps, and was never issued an I.R.R. I.D. I have completed my service in the I.R.R. as well, but am coming across hurdles when I am trying to access benefits/discounts for Veterans, because I don't have any I.D. and I really don't want to carry around my DD-214.

You don't rate a military I.D. card unless you were medically discharged or retired after a full 20 years.

So I am SOL when it comes to proving that I am a Veteran?

What do you need to prove,you are just like another 30 million Veterans who don't expect any extra special treatment.

Got mine 27 march 1970 it is called a DDFORM(RES)

There is no ID card for military vets (unless you're retired or disabled).

If there was one, you could get it at your local reserve center (any branch as ID cards are DD Forms).

Only proof of service you have is your DD-214. I do know people who carry a photocopy (reduced size) in their wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by SGTDuenas View Post
    So I am SOL when it comes to proving that I am a Veteran?
    I have ID which I got from the VA hospital, Semper Fidelis.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Go to your local VA hospital with your DD-214. You will get an ID card which will get you the recognition you deserve. While you are there, have them assign you a primary physician, and schedule a physical exam.

all I GOT WAS AN id from the va hospitol. GET A COPY OF YOUR DD214 its not like you are going to carry it around 24-7 will you

anyway SEMPER FI and good luck

stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

Thing is, as I understand it anyway, unless you are service connected, or are drawing benefits, you aren't going to get an ID card.

If you still have your old ID card, that is proof enough.

The only other way is to basically, as stated, carry your DD-214. Redact your SSN out of it, and then shrink it to wallet size on a computer.

However....are there REALLY that many discounts and whatnot out there to make this all worth it?

OH...you can also join 'Veterans Advantage'. Google them. They will give you an ID card. Membership costs about 35.00 a year, unless you are a Wounded Warrior alumni, in which case, it's free.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    There are two VA hospitals that I know of that ALL military veterans get free medical care and their ID. One is in Jackson,ms and the other is in Georgia.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ironic I guess ....
    The VFW sent me this link in an e-mail today. http://www.veteranprograms.com/id1366.html

Interesting. Not a bad idea, but I would think this is equivlant to a 'made in the mall'' ID card that anyone could put together for that fee.

Thread Information