No disrespect, but who is correct?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

No disrespect, but who is correct?

Hello Marines, Thank You for letting me join the site, and Your service.
    I have a question for You all, I turn 17 on June 13th, and I just took the ASVAB at my school a couple weeks ago, because I was told that it will count for two years. I am not sure who told me this, but I'm almost positive my recruiter told me this two weeks ago when I met with him. Now he tells me that i have to take it again because it doesn't count until I'm 17... Meaning you have to be 17 for the ASVAB to count? He clearly means that even though I got an AFQT of 78, I still have to retake it when I turn 17... Can any Marines clear up my confusion?

Thank You Marines, I will hopefully join You all shortly.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    I just Pmd one for you. Wait and see what he says.
    Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgi View Post
    Hello Marines, Thank You for letting me join the site, and Your service.
    I have a question for You all, I turn 17 on June 13th, and I just took the ASVAB at my school a couple weeks ago, because I was told that it will count for two years. I am not sure who told me this, but I'm almost positive my recruiter told me this two weeks ago when I met with him. Now he tells me that i have to take it again because it doesn't count until I'm 17... Meaning you have to be 17 for the ASVAB to count? He clearly means that even though I got an AFQT of 78, I still have to retake it when I turn 17... Can any Marines clear up my confusion?

Thank You Marines, I will hopefully join You all shortly.
    Your scores are good for two years. You have to turn 17 before he can count the score though. Your recruiter should give you a simple form to fill out. With your signature, he can submit this form to MEPS and they can do what is called a "High School look up" and pull your scores and have them converted to military scores.

Without embarassing your recruiter, ask his boss about a high school lookup if he can explain it to you. You are good to go.

I would take it as an opportunity to study up and get a higher score.

Quote Originally Posted by YourPhoneIsMine View Post
    I would take it as an opportunity to study up and get a higher score.
    Not all of us like to waste our time. With an AFQT of 78, studying up would be just that along with the 3 hours it takes to test again.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    phone is The Great Swami, knows all, sees all, tells all.

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Not all of us like to waste our time. With an AFQT of 78, studying up would be just that along with the 3 hours it takes to test again.
    wouldn't it open up his choices a bit more? or is a 78 above the minimum for all MOSes?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Agreed completely, I am smart, and I know I am. I am just a bad test taker.

Chances are with a 78, his GT/EL/MM/CL scores will more than meet the minimum requirements for any MOS he chooses to pursue... <--- currently assigned to recruiting duty... If it was an applicant I was working with, I actually would discourage him from taking it again for the risk of LOWERING his score.

Just like stated before, once you turn 17 your Recruiter can request a High School Test Pull and the scores you have will be good to go.

With a AFQT of 78 I would highly discourage retaking the test, but the chances are in your favor to score higher if you do. From my experiences, the individuals who take the paper test in school tend to score a bit higher on the computer based test at MEPS. This could be what your Recruiter is thinking for you. However with the current score you have the opprotunities are endless for you. Your score qualifies you for many different jobs as well as the NROTC Scholarship. Speak with your Recruiter as well as his boss and find out all about these programs and set the plan for you to get down to MEPS and take the next steps in your enlistment process.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Lamie View Post
    Just like stated before, once you turn 17 your Recruiter can request a High School Test Pull and the scores you have will be good to go.

With a AFQT of 78 I would highly discourage retaking the test, but the chances are in your favor to score higher if you do. From my experiences, the individuals who take the paper test in school tend to score a bit higher on the computer based test at MEPS. This could be what your Recruiter is thinking for you. However with the current score you have the opprotunities are endless for you. Your score qualifies you for many different jobs as well as the NROTC Scholarship. Speak with your Recruiter as well as his boss and find out all about these programs and set the plan for you to get down to MEPS and take the next steps in your enlistment process.
    I told my recuiter last week that he could, I even called him. He is new to the recruiting station so he might not know the rules. But, he told me that his command told him that... I think he mixed some words up or somthing, but I will be sure to use the words, "High School Test Pull" next time I get a chance to talk to him. Thank You Marine.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My recruiter is still telling me that my scores did not count because I took the test when I was 16, which was five weeks ago.

There's always other recruiting stations. Tell em you changed your mind, ****can your paperwork and go to another RSS.

On a side note, the entire time I was in it was always said that the test doesn't count till 17 no matter how many times you take it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    There's always other recruiting stations. Tell em you changed your mind, ****can your paperwork and go to another RSS.

On a side note, the entire time I was in it was always said that the test
    doesn't count till 17 no matter how many times you take it.
    Yes, but do you understand that I took the test five weeks ago, and the test is valid for 2 years? Do you mean the test scores don't become valid until you're 17? Or you have to be 17 to take the test and the scores will be valid then? .... Maybe I'm making this up... But I thought that the scores I have right now, (78 AFQT) will be valid once I turn 17 and then I can go to MEPS for my physical and evaluation.

Maybe this might help you some......

When can I take the ASVAB? Can I take it over again if necessary?

You can take the ASVAB as early as your sophomore year in high school. If you take the ASVAB as a sophomore your score will not be used for joining the military. If need be, you may retake the ASVAB after 30 days, and again 30 days later.

CAN I USE MY STUDENT ASVAB RESULTS FOR PROCESSING AT MEPS?

If you are 17 years of age, or older, you may process at the MEPS using Student ASVAB scores from a test you took in high school when you were 16 years old, provided you were a junior or senior when you took the test and the test has not expired (2 years from the date of test).
    Sophomore tests are invalid for enlistment purposes regardless of age on the date of the test.

http://www.military (dot).com/ASVAB/...xplained2.html

Remove the (dot) because this link isn't allowed on Leatherneck.

Thread Information