The decision to apply to OCS
Create Post

The decision to apply to OCS

I have written on here before about the struggles my husband was having with his prior service re-enlistment. My husband got out in 2008 as a CPL. Last year he decided that the Marines was still so much a part of him and he wanted to get back in. He then began the long process of putting together a re-enlistment package. Well, to date, he still has not gotten anywhere with that, there hasn't been any roadblocks it is just a long process. This is what got him thinking and looking into becoming an Officer. He had started college when he got out in 2008 and has continued to pursue that to date. He has talked with an OSO and knows what he needs to do to go through the selection process and he is working on his physical fitness as well as his acedemics(he needs to retake the ASVAB because he needs a higher AFQT score), but my question was for anyone who has gone through that selection and I wanted to know how competitive it is and is there any one thing he should be concentration on to higher his chances of getting selected to go to OCS. Also, how long does the selection process usually take once he has his ASVAB and PFT scores done? Any other helpful information about this process would be appreciated!
    *SIDE NOTE: he will be applying to do the PLC (platoon leaders class) because he still has a few semesters left, he is at a junior status in school. Also, most of his schooling has been online but he has taken some classes on campus, will this effect his chances at all?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeofmarine19 View Post
    I have written on here before about the struggles my husband was having with his prior service re-enlistment. My husband got out in 2008 as a CPL. Last year he decided that the Marines was still so much a part of him and he wanted to get back in. He then began the long process of putting together a re-enlistment package. Well, to date, he still has not gotten anywhere with that, there hasn't been any roadblocks it is just a long process. This is what got him thinking and looking into becoming an Officer. He had started college when he got out in 2008 and has continued to pursue that to date. He has talked with an OSO and knows what he needs to do to go through the selection process and he is working on his physical fitness as well as his acedemics(he needs to retake the ASVAB because he needs a higher AFQT score), but my question was for anyone who has gone through that selection and I wanted to know how competitive it is and is there any one thing he should be concentration on to higher his chances of getting selected to go to OCS. Also, how long does the selection process usually take once he has his ASVAB and PFT scores done? Any other helpful information about this process would be appreciated!
    *SIDE NOTE: he will be applying to do the PLC (platoon leaders class) because he still has a few semesters left, he is at a junior status in school. Also, most of his schooling has been online but he has taken some classes on campus, will this effect his chances at all?

I went through PLC when the earths crust was cooling, 1977. It's is my impression that his college must be an accredited 4 year institution and he must be an enrolled as full time student. That being said, both PLC and OCS are extremely competitive. He should try and be as balanced as possible. Remember it's a selection process. It's not like enlisting and going through boot camp. He'll be competing for a slot as an officer.. There are no guaranteed MOS other than Air and JAG..

Thread Information