08 Artillery MOS, thoughts?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

08 Artillery MOS, thoughts?

Kinda goes along with the title
    While waiting for an infantry job to open up and pretty much realizing that might not happen, ive been looking at the Artillery field, any thoughts? suggestions as to what specific MOS inside of 08.
    I was looking at 0861 but was wondering if they embed with infantry to call it in or anything like that, also do es you basid 0811 ever go on a patrol or even deploy without the cannon?

Thanks,
    Rhodes

Try doing a search on the site. These MOS's have been covered before.

And try reading the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums too.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Ask a Marine forum rules..READ THESE BEFORE POSTING..MARINES TOO!
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103170

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I did look around on the Forums, and didnt find anyhting along the lines that I was looking for. Thats why I asked the question. Also read the rules and dont see what I did wrong?
    Thank you,
    Rhodes

You did nothing wrong, I was just merely pointing out the site rules to you, that's all.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Alright, thank you, just wanted to make sure I didnt miss something

I deployed twice without howitzers. The first time we did convoy security and got blown up alot. The second deployment was as CAG. We did dismounted patrols daily.

At the end of the day though it all comes down to what the Marine Corps needs at that given time.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks GunRock, how was the training in Ft. Sill? Also when stateside do 08's spend alot of time in the field like ive heard?

Ft. Sill isn't too bad. You really aren't there for very long. I think its still about a month. I was there in 06 though, so things could have changed a bit. The first part was pretty much a classroom environment; learning everything about the howitzers, rounds, propellants, and fuzes. Thes rest of the time you're in the field or taking tests.

Yes, stateside 08's spend alot of time in the field. Its not uncommon to spend a month in the field, come back for a week or so to PM the guns and what not, then head back out for another few weeks. There's also backyard shoots where you're only out for 3-5 days too. It all depends on your units training matrix and the upcoming deployment.

I was an 0861 but my info is dated so take it FWIW.

Yes you attach to the Infantry in an operational capacity.

You attend Marine Artillery Scout Observer Course at Ft. Sill. The bar is high, land nav, calls for fire, target location, comm gear, radio procedures. Back then bilge a subject twice and you went up the hill to be an 0811.

You attend NGF school more land nav, comm, target location, calls for fire and learning the differences between NGFS and Arty as far as trajectory and sheaf differences. I went to Little Creek don't even know if it's still operating. Again the bar is high, bilge out and they send you to a Regt to await training as whatever.

When you deploy or float you and your team will live with the infantry, train with the infantry and answer to the infantry. So it behooves you to hit the ground running when you get to your first unit and learn your skill, or suffer looking like a Bozo when you try to do it.

Thread Information