Firearms Knowledge
Create Post

Firearms Knowledge

So I have a somewhat silly question if you Marines dont mind answering. I own a few firearms one of which is an AR-15 question is should I just forget any knowledge i already have about the firearm?

Now I've only seen some videos about boot camp and from one of them it seems like the rifle range instructors arent as brutal on you as the Drill Instructors and they seem as if they are there to help you with your shooting and to help you feel comfortable or at least a little more comfortable with your environment.

I know it is a silly question, but when I ask questions I usually cowboy up and admit it is silly. Thank you for your responses.

The Marine Corps will teach you everything you need to know on how to fire your rifle and whatnot.
    As for you PMI Instructors, they are there to teach you about firing your rifle, not to drill you, PT you, or anything else like that.

Thank you Ma'am wasnt sure if I should leave that stuff at home. Being the M16 and AR are almost Identical I didnt want to field strip the weapon or douche it all up pretending like I was top of the class.

Softballcatch is right. I've never seen an AR-15 in person or taken it apart and stuff, but I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about studying it. From what I hear, it's not exactly the same anyway. There are plenty of other things for you to study. Besides, whether you need to know it or not, the Drill Instructors/PMIs will teach you everything you need to know.

The PMIs (primary marksmanship instructors) don't act like drill instructors. They pretty much leave all the yelling and high-stress "teaching" strategies to them off range. The range is a very serious place. You have 80+ recruits (some who may have never held a BB gun before) with hundreds of rounds of ammo and a deadly weapon in everyone's hands. That is not the time or place for recruits to be fumbling over safety switches and bolts because a DI is screaming in their ear. Don't get me wrong, every DI in the company is standing about 30 yards by behind the line, silently watching everything you do. And if you do something that is unbecoming of a Marine Corps recruit they will make a mental note of it and correct you in the appropriate way later that day when you're back at the squad bay.Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    So I have a somewhat silly question if you Marines dont mind answering. I own a few firearms one of which is an AR-15 question is should I just forget any knowledge i already have about the firearm?

Now I've only seen some videos about boot camp and from one of them it seems like the rifle range instructors arent as brutal on you as the Drill Instructors and they seem as if they are there to help you with your shooting and to help you feel comfortable or at least a little more comfortable with your environment.

I know it is a silly question, but when I ask questions I usually cowboy up and admit it is silly. Thank you for your responses.
    Don't sweat the small stuff. As far as field stripping, etc, an AR-15 and an M-16 are about identical. There are a few extra parts in the lower receiver of the M-16 (to allow burst firing), but the lower receiver is not field stripped any further than removing the buffer and buffer spring. Only an armorer is allowed to remove the guts from the lower receiver.

An AR-15 doesn't have a bayonet lug, but who cares.

You will have classes on field stripping, nomenclature, and cleaning the M-16. Just play dumb and go along with it.

As for shooting, again play dumb, and listen to the PMIs and coaches. Do things their way. PMIs and line coaches will only get really wound up if you pull some stupid stunt affecting range safety. If they think you are playing silly games with them, your DI will be informed and he will take care of you.

Now is it possible a PMI or coach may notice you seem to be a little more comfortable shooting? Yes. Might he ask you if you've shot an M-16 variant before? Yes. Tell the truth, it isn't uncommon. If you are doing fine, they'll just tell you to keep up the good work.

All Poolees should understand that there are three ways to accomplish something in the Marine Corps.

1. The right way.
    2. The wrong way.
    3. The Marine Corps way.

Your Drill Instructors will teach you The Marine Corps Way. Do not forget it. The basics that are given to you in Recruit Training may save your life some day. Anything other than the Marine Corps way is unsatisfactory.

You'll be told in grass week to take all your knowledge of firing weapons and throw it out the window. They're are going to teach you exactly how they want you to do things.

Thread Information