Should I lie at MEPS?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Exclamation Should I lie at MEPS?

Hello, all. First, thank you for serving this great country, especially in the Marine Corps. Anyway, I am about to enroll in the DEP, but I am at a crossroad. A couple years ago, I was put on anti-depressants for a three year stretch. I was prescribed several different medications with several visits in that time span. I never took the meds though. My parents were going through a divorce, and my parents MADE me go to the doctors. They were really messed up at the time, and everything was crazy. Regardless, my medical records look terrible. I want to get a waiver, so I don't feel like I am sneaking in to the military. However, I went to the doctor to look at the f**king book that is my medical record now, and it would be a sure DQ I think. I tried getting the stuff removed now that I am eighteen and I never felt I needed it anyway. He said he couldn't do that, but I was able to file a note of disagreement. Should I just lie at MEPS about all of this bs? Also, I have a missing molar tooth from a wisdom tooth surgery, but my recruiter says it is no big deal, and that once they see it on the xray they won't care. Is that true? I hope I don't come off as high maintenance or like a possible detriment to the Corps. The last thing I want to do is lie. However, in my eyes, that does not break the core value of honor as it is trivial. These "conditions" don't affect me whatsoever and do not matter. I will pass BCT and become a Marine no matter what. Thanks in advance, everyone.

fill out your profile son you are violating rules already

If you enlist, you will be the subject of a NACLC background investigation at a minimum, which is a secret level investigation. They will gain access to your medical records because you will be required to sign a medical release form upon initiation of the background investigation.

First, PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine forum. Don't double post.
    Second, no profile, no answers......site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
    Third...try doing a search on the site as this topic has been covered before.
    Fourth...you lie now, you'll continue to lie.
    Fifth....if you do happen to get a waiver for being on anti-depressants, you ever hear of fraudulent enlistment?

Quote Originally Posted by barronmyers View Post
    Hello, all. First, thank you for serving this great country, especially in the Marine Corps. Anyway, I am about to enroll in the DEP, but I am at a crossroad. A couple years ago, I was put on anti-depressants for a three year stretch. I was prescribed several different medications with several visits in that time span. I never took the meds though. My parents were going through a divorce, and my parents MADE me go to the doctors. They were really messed up at the time, and everything was crazy. Regardless, my medical records look terrible. I want to get a waiver, so I don't feel like I am sneaking in to the military. However, I went to the doctor to look at the f**king book that is my medical record now, and it would be a sure DQ I think. I tried getting the stuff removed now that I am eighteen and I never felt I needed it anyway. He said he couldn't do that, but I was able to file a note of disagreement. Should I just lie at MEPS about all of this bs? Also, I have a missing molar tooth from a wisdom tooth surgery, but my recruiter says it is no big deal, and that once they see it on the xray they won't care. Is that true? I hope I don't come off as high maintenance or like a possible detriment to the Corps. The last thing I want to do is lie. However, in my eyes, that does not break the core value of honor as it is trivial. These "conditions" don't affect me whatsoever and do not matter. I will pass BCT and become a Marine no matter what. Thanks in advance, everyone.
    If you are already asking Marines as to whether or not you should lie, then you are heading downhill at 90 miles an hour for a dishonorable discharge if you do become a Marine. If you were to lie at MEPs and its later discovered you lied, you can be done for fraudulent enlistment, dishonorably discharged and fined up to $5,000.00 and or serve jail time. Don't risk it. Plus if you are on anti-depressants or were on them, depending on how long ago you were on them, you will probably be disqualified for enlistment anyway. Your chances of a waiver being approved are low. That said, its your call and your call alone as to whether or not you lie. But think long and hard as to how it might affect you later on down the road in your career.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, I know about fraudelent enlistment and that is one of the reason's I don't want to lie. I know I won't continue to lie because this is something that was not my fault. If I do not lie, I don't get a chance. I'm not some shady guy trying to cut corners or something. I have wanted to be a Marine my whole life, and I won't let some prescription happy doctor and my parents crap ruin it. The only way I will be caught is if it comes up, which it never will because it is not an issue. They don't check records for every recruit; it would cost too much. My only concern is the missing tooth leading to them actually pulling my records. Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot by the way. I'm new to this forum. Thanks for answering.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Look at it this way: Down the road while job hunting, you can say, "I tried to enlist in the Marines, but I was medically disqualified." Or, do you want to say, "I lied about my medical background to get in the Marines, but they caught me, and threw me out on a fraudulent enlistment."

Which statement is more likely to loose you another job opportunity and which is going to at least keep you in the running? The truth.

Believe me when I say that if the Corps can find out, so can a civilian employer if they want to badly enough.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Look at it this way: Down the road while job hunting, you can say, "I tried to enlist in the Marines, but I was medically disqualified." Or, do you want to say, "I lied about my medical background to get in the Marines, but they caught me, and threw me out on a fraudulent enlistment."

Which statement is more likely to loose you another job opportunity and which is going to at least keep you in the running? The truth.

Believe me when I say that if the Corps can find out, so can a civilian employer if they want to badly enough.
    Thanks for the insight, Zulu. I wanted to be a lifer, but thats out of the picture now due to the security clearance and all.

Should I lie at MEPS is like asking if I should Sh*t in the rain room, dont make no fu**in sense. Tell the fu**in truth and whatever happens happens. Explain the situation to the doc at MEPS and go from there. Our core values are Honor, Courage, Commitment. You cant have one without the others and there is no honor in lying. I apologize for the foul language but lying is the one thing I probably hate the most.

Barron, while I understand your plight to want to be a Marine at all cost, please don't take the advice of a person whose sole mission on LN.com is to be the board contrarian. He does not have your best interest at heart.

Though most who enlist fraudulently do not get caught, many do. Do you want to take that chance?

Check out these two links:

This one will explain what actually can happen to you if you are caught after fraudulently enlisting -
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punit...es/a/mcm83.htm

This one has examples of people who got caught and what happened to them -
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punit...es/a/mcm83.htm

Again, don't just take the word of somebody who has nothing to lose if you get caught. Do a little research on the web. There are many examples out there if you google "consequences for fraudulent enlistment".

Quote Originally Posted by Tun Tavern View Post
    Barron, while I understand your plight to want to be a Marine at all cost, please don't take the advice of a person whose sole mission on LN.com is to be the board contrarian. He does not have your best interest at heart.
    Are you kidding me? Do you know how many Marines I know that haven't disclosed...

Drug use
    Surgeries
    Medications
    Counsellings
    Arrests

...to the Corps? Do you know how many of these guys got out honorably or even reenlisted? All of them.

You guys jumping down this kids throat is a joke and you're using scare tactics because you know he doesn't know any better.

Saying he has no integrity because he's going to lie at MEPS to make his life better, what a ****ing crock of ****.

Kid, your future is in your hands. You will be DQ'd from using anti-depressants. If you want to reenlist and you don't think that **** is on some form somewhere, don't ****ing tell them.

<----lied at MEPS, has a secret clearance, and no one has ever come after me.

I have never lied while in the Corps or even before , and that's my story and I'm STICKING TO IT !

I'm one of the few , according to the previous post !

I know of guys who thought they were Marines , but they fib !

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am very glad about two things, Aloha: #1 - I will never have you working for me, and #2 - I will never work for you. Your integrity has been lost someplace, if it ever existed.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 05-15-11 at 05:13 PM. Reason: His BS deleted but yours is valid

As I said, if you took the time to read properly without going off halfcocked, most do not get caught.

Let me underline that for you most...hell I'll even capitalize it for you since your attention to detail is lacking. MOST. I'll even take it one step farther so that you'll be sure to see it this time, MOST do not get caught.

But what you failed to share with him, in that first post, is the fact that some have and do. You were more concerned with flipping off the board to make a point that you purposely left out a detail that is factual.

Just because you can lie without blinking an eye and didn't get caught does not mean he will share your same fate. I'm sure you're intelligent enough to figure that out. Or maybe not...

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 05-15-11 at 05:13 PM.

Sure Dave,

He'll come out a civilian while his peers that did lie go on to succesful careers in the United States Marine corps.

Thread Information