Marching & Running Cadences - Page 34
Create Post
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    running candences are for gheys.

The Sweet Sound of a Marine Corps Cadence

Anyone have any fond memories of Running or forced March and that sweet sound of a Marine Corps Cadence comming from one of our leaders mouths?

In 3rd phase B/T we had a Company Gunny (forgot his name) that sang Cadence so sweet i dont think there was a limit i could run with this Senior Marine at the helm. if anyone has any unique cadences let here em,

one in particular that got me going was,

We are gonna Rape, Kill, Pilliage,destroy, were gonna Rape,Kill,Pilliage Destroy and EAT THE BABIES. Wooooo Hooooo!!!!! i was fired up as a young Recruite

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Id say that's pretty unique. Id also say its pretty fvcked up to.

In boot camp, 3rd phase, I remember D.I. Sgt. Harris singing the "Death march" cadance on our way to chow in the mornings. The one off of Full Metal Jacket. Gave me cold chills and I felt like I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

I wanna be a Drill Instructor,
    I wanna shave off all my hair.
    I wanna live a life of danger,
    I wanna be beyond compare.
    Singing lo righty lo righty lo righty left
    I wanna be a Drill Instructor,
    I wanna shave off all my hair.
    I wanna make those recruits suffer,
    I wanna wear that smokey bear.
    Singing lo righty lo righty lo righty left

Does anybody remember the rest of this one from MCRD San Diego early 70's. I loved it and we sung it on the way to the messhall. It began:

They say in the messhall the chicken's mighty fine;
    one jumped off the table and started marking time;
    gee maw I wanna go, but they won't let me go...home

There were more verses with different items off the messhall menu...hilarious! Would love to hear the entire thing again if anybody remembers. This was a marching cadence and not a running one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Does anybody remember the rest of this one from MCRD San Diego early 70's. I loved it and we sung it on the way to the messhall. It began:

They say in the messhall the chicken's mighty fine;
    one jumped off the table and started marking time;
    gee maw I wanna go, but they won't let me go...home

There were more verses with different items off the messhall menu...hilarious! Would love to hear the entire thing again if anybody remembers. This was a marching cadence and not a running one.
    Top, I think this is what you are looking for. Be aware that there is no sound for the first 17-18 seconds. We have to excuse the army references, though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TZT6sZEIkw

Ron, My DI came to Quantico to be my NCOIC - For Joy For Joy. He of course was tired of calling cadence and I was one of his favs. He would always say Cpl Heglar come on out I gotta hear your motivating scream and shout take it on the left foot the mighty mighty left foot take it on the left foot TAKE IT! I got it. I would always start

Low right a Low right left
    Low right a lefty righty left

Momma told Johnny not to go down town
    Momma told Johnny a Marine recruiter was around
    Johnny went down town anyway to hear what the
    Marine Corps had to say

Singing

Johnny got sent to Vietnam

That's all I am at liberty to tell but it was a very motivating time in my short Marine carreer! I miss the PFC's and Pvt's telling me that I motivate them, Oh what a great time in my life. Thanks for this thread.

Cpl Kevin D. Heglar
    USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Id say that's pretty unique. Id also say its pretty fvcked up to.
    Dont worry Goose, your not the only one. told that one to an old Dinosaur that was with force recon in Nam and he said, dmn never heard that one before sht bro thats crazy. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Heglar View Post
    Ron, My DI came to Quantico to be my NCOIC - For Joy For Joy. He of course was tired of calling cadence and I was one of his favs. He would always say Cpl Heglar come on out I gotta hear your motivating scream and shout take it on the left foot the mighty mighty left foot take it on the left foot TAKE IT! I got it. I would always start

Momma told Johnny not to go down town
    Momma told Johnny a Marine recruiter was around
    Johnny went down town anyway to hear what the
    Marine Corps had to say

Singing

Johnny got sent to Vietnam

That's all I am at liberty to tell but it was a very motivating time in my short Marine carreer! I miss the PFC's and Pvt's telling me that I motivate them, Oh what a great time in my life. Thanks for this thread.

Cpl Kevin D. Heglar
    USMC
    No Problem Cpl Heglar!

R-O

Quote Originally Posted by Causby View Post
    In boot camp, 3rd phase, I remember D.I. Sgt. Harris singing the "Death march" cadance on our way to chow in the mornings. The one off of Full Metal Jacket. Gave me cold chills and I felt like I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

Yup, I know the feeling Causby!!

R-O

I too have never heard the first cadence as mentioned in the first post and I don't think it is something that would have been used, for many obvious reasons. Perhaps time and memory have altered what you seem to believe is factual. Rape and pillage stand out as terms and actions that I see as not representative of what the Marine Corps or this Marine back in 1968 stood for. I saw much evil in the war, but I and no one I knew committed any war crimes, to the best of my knowledge, although I know there were exceptions to the rule. I think posting it here is inappropriate but just my opinion.
    SEMPER FI, Scott

I agree emphatically with Foxtrot. We were definitely the green killing machine but no atrocities. All my boom boom cost $2 dollar

Quote Originally Posted by 03Foxtrot View Post
    Rape and pillage stand out as terms and actions that I see as not representative of what the Marine Corps or this Marine back in 1968 stood for.
    Hey fox you are right about the verbage of the cadence but it is still a good thread worth bringing back fond memories. That is why I went no further with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Foxtrot View Post
    I too have never heard the first cadence as mentioned in the first post and I don't think it is something that would have been used, for many obvious reasons. Perhaps time and memory have altered what you seem to believe is factual. Rape and pillage stand out as terms and actions that I see as not representative of what the Marine Corps or this Marine back in 1968 stood for. I saw much evil in the war, but I and no one I knew committed any war crimes, to the best of my knowledge, although I know there were exceptions to the rule. I think posting it here is inappropriate but just my opinion.
    SEMPER FI, Scott

Sorry guy, i wont accept that, I like the way you worded it though, I am a man of intergrity and coming on a public forum and lying about what we sang in BootCamp would be a little bit childish and foolish dont you think?
    the words may not be what you wanted them to be or what you like, but they are true, No altered memory or non fact. Inaporpriate post maybe,

have a nice day,

Semper Fi~

R.O

Thread Information