Marching & Running Cadences - Page 35
Create Post
Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast
    I never said or implied you were lying about anything. Time does play games with all of our memories and right or wrong words, I still find them detrimental to the Corps. I said the words of your cadence do not reflect what I believe the Corps or myself represent, then or now. There are many civilians out there who labeled me a baby killer and assumed the worst of all of us that fought in that nasty war. Surely you can understand my sensitivity to a cadence that you say was used when you were trained in boot camp and seems to endorse these false assumptions. As Russ says, I have no problem with killing the enemy and our restrictive rules of engagement and an enemy that hid among civilians made our duty that much more difficult. Also taking casualties daily from booby traps and constantly seeking out the enemy, all the while risking ambush ourselves, made all of us very frustrated and determined to find and kill the enemy before he sent us home in pieces or a body bag. There are many stories that never got repeated or shared of our wounded being captured and killed later or even on the battlefield. Our war was not one that was known by the general public or even those that were not grunts. So yes, I have a problem with your post and choice of words that you want to share with others on this public forum. It does not reflect me or my personal journey as a Marine grunt in Nam but it does seem to reenforce those who believe we were all undisciplined killers, i.e. like the Calley's of the war. I have spent far too many years of survivors guilt and PTSD and fighting those who assume the worst of me, not to reply about your choice of cadence to recite on this public forum. Your integrity was never an issue with me, so why do you make it one ?
    Semper Fi, Scott

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Scott, Ron s not old enough to remember that some of the things in that cadence. Is some of the things all Nam vets were accused of taking part in. One of the reasons they turned their backs on us. I think, like I said. Its fvcked up. Maybe if he had to return home to THE TUNE OF BABY KILLERS AND RAPIST, he might think its fvcked up too.

2 dollars a pop is close to rape as it gets Billy.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Heglar View Post
    2 dollars a pop is close to rape as it gets Billy.
    That was Russ's statement not mine. It was given freely to us. They only charged the 3/5.. for favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Scott, Ron s not old enough to remember that some of the things in that cadence. Is some of the things all Nam vets were accused of taking part in. One of the reasons they turned their backs on us. I think, like I said. Its fvcked up. Maybe if he had to return home to THE TUNE OF BABY KILLERS AND RAPIST, he might think its fvcked up too.
    H*ll, Mongoose. I was just a Reservist during that time but know where you are coming from. The Corps flew my whole Reserve unit out to California for training in 1971. We flew commercial (United) and landed in San Diego. We were traveling in boots and utes and carrying our M14's (minus bolts). As we moved through the airport terminal we heard a few people say "Murderers", "Baby Killers", etc. We were ordered to remain quiet and keep moving. I remember a long haired freak (guy) came up and acted like he was going to spit on me. I just looked him in the eye, patted my rifle, and said "Don't even think about it". I really wanted to give him a horizontal butt stroke to the face!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 03Foxtrot View Post
    I never said or implied you were lying about anything. Time does play games with all of our memories and right or wrong words, I still find them detrimental to the Corps. I said the words of your cadence do not reflect what I believe the Corps or myself represent, then or now. There are many civilians out there who labeled me a baby killer and assumed the worst of all of us that fought in that nasty war. Surely you can understand my sensitivity to a cadence that you say was used when you were trained in boot camp and seems to endorse these false assumptions. As Russ says, I have no problem with killing the enemy and our restrictive rules of engagement and an enemy that hid among civilians made our duty that much more difficult. Also taking casualties daily from booby traps and constantly seeking out the enemy, all the while risking ambush ourselves, made all of us very frustrated and determined to find and kill the enemy before he sent us home in pieces or a body bag. There are many stories that never got repeated or shared of our wounded being captured and killed later or even on the battlefield. Our war was not one that was known by the general public or even those that were not grunts. So yes, I have a problem with your post and choice of words that you want to share with others on this public forum. It does not reflect me or my personal journey as a Marine grunt in Nam but it does seem to reenforce those who believe we were all undisciplined killers, i.e. like the Calley's of the war. I have spent far too many years of survivors guilt and PTSD and fighting those who assume the worst of me, not to reply about your choice of cadence to recite on this public forum. Your integrity was never an issue with me, so why do you make it one ?
    Semper Fi, Scott
    Scott,

After reading this i can certainly see why you would question my selection of candence to share on this public forum.

Semper Fi~

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracs1833 View Post
    H*ll, Mongoose. I was just a Reservist during that time but know where you are coming from. The Corps flew my whole Reserve unit out to California for training in 1971. We flew commercial (United) and landed in San Diego. We were traveling in boots and utes and carrying our M14's (minus bolts). As we moved through the airport terminal we heard a few people say "Murderers", "Baby Killers", etc. We were ordered to remain quiet and keep moving. I remember a long haired freak (guy) came up and acted like he was going to spit on me. I just looked him in the eye, patted my rifle, and said "Don't even think about it". I really wanted to give him a horizontal butt stroke to the face!!!!
    At that time, it made no difference if you went to Nam or not. If you were Military, you was shet on.

There are many less than "PC" cadences out there,However they all were used to motivate the subject to continue or excell in whatever the activity was at the time (running,marching etc.)The one that I remember right away after reading this post was the "Because Napalm Sticks To Kids" verse that was for some reason not very popular when used at 0600 running thru base housing. I'm sure someone got an ass chewing for that then....Today it would probly be a court martial.

My Sgt Maj lectured me on one of the cadences I modified personally. I dare not repeat it here as it was about Marines being with women. I simply explained that I waited till all the WM's fell out of the run before I called the cadence and all was forgiven. I never used it again thought to avoid conflict.

If what Ron remembers and posted earlier is accurate of his boot camp training/cadence words used in the 80's, and for all I know, it is indeed so, then all I can say is that the USMC forgot us as quickly as the American public did. My perception of the Marine Corps during war time and soon afterward, is not a pretty one and I certainly always felt like I was there when needed and then quickly discarded when the war was winding down. Soon after Tet '68, enlist and train as many Marines as possible for the rapid expansion and escalating casualties the Viet-Nam War dictated, and most of us were 03's destined for infantry duty somewhere in I Corps, and then, just as rapidly the fast deescalation and withdrawal of ground combat units, starting with the 3rd Marine Division. Thanks to President Nixon and the "peace with honor" he negotiated with North Viet-Nam, all of a sudden we were superfluous, unwanted and unneeded and a hindrance to the new and smaller and more focused Marine Corps. For all I know, with no mention or acceptance then of PTSD and no thought to any and all related mental health issues or residual invisible wounds, the Marine Corps may have already forgotten the trauma that we once mighty and feared Marine infantry carried around with us. Is it any wonder that a man who went through boot camp in the 80's can remember a cadence that most of us Nam Marines still have a problem with ? I may have been forgotten then and I may now be the toast of the town to some, for all I know, but as far as I'm concerned, I will never forget, nor will I forgive those that turned their back on us and I will not remain silent when I see or hear some disparaging remark about my service or the honor of those brave men that reside on the Wall.
    Semper Fi Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by 03Foxtrot View Post
    If what Ron remembers and posted earlier is accurate of his boot camp training/cadence words used in the 80's, and for all I know, it is indeed so, then all I can say is that the USMC forgot us as quickly as the American public did. My perception of the Marine Corps during war time and soon afterward, is not a pretty one and I certainly always felt like I was there when needed and then quickly discarded when the war was winding down. Soon after Tet '68, enlist and train as many Marines as possible for the rapid expansion and escalating casualties the Viet-Nam War dictated, and most of us were 03's destined for infantry duty somewhere in I Corps, and then, just as rapidly the fast deescalation and withdrawal of ground combat units, starting with the 3rd Marine Division. Thanks to President Nixon and the "peace with honor" he negotiated with North Viet-Nam, all of a sudden we were superfluous, unwanted and unneeded and a hindrance to the new and smaller and more focused Marine Corps. For all I know, with no mention or acceptance then of PTSD and no thought to any and all related mental health issues or residual invisible wounds, the Marine Corps may have already forgotten the trauma that we once mighty and feared Marine infantry carried around with us. Is it any wonder that a man who went through boot camp in the 80's can remember a cadence that most of us Nam Marines still have a problem with ? I may have been forgotten then and I may now be the toast of the town to some, for all I know, but as far as I'm concerned, I will never forget, nor will I forgive those that turned their back on us and I will not remain silent when I see or hear some disparaging remark about my service or the honor of those brave men that reside on the Wall.
    Semper Fi Brothers

Understood Foxtrot

Semper Fi

R.O.

Scott, now you see how it was for us. All the videos I've ever seen regarding Hue City for instance were done on the south side of the river. Capt Kirk and his bunch the 2/5 went through some deep **** but so did we. Where was I, on the north side which was twice as large and bloody. No videos though, we were forgotten.

One video I saw though from a 2/5 guy kind of sums up what you've been saying. "They treated us like batteries, they used us up and tossed us away." Kind of says it all don't it.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Scott, now you see how it was for us. All the videos I've ever seen regarding Hue City for instance were done on the south side of the river. Capt Kirk and his bunch the 2/5 went through some deep **** but so did we. Where was I, on the north side which was twice as large and bloody. No videos though, we were forgotten.

One video I saw though from a 2/5 guy kind of sums up what you've been saying. "They treated us like batteries, they used us up and tossed us away." Kind of says it all don't it.
    That it does, brother Russ.

Top 3

platoon gives a motivated MARINE CORP in between your cadence

A 1, 2... 3, 4.

1, 2 a 3 and a 4

1, 2... 3, 4

Come on guna sing some more

Back in 1775

My Marine Corp came alive

First came, the color White

Show the world, that we could fight

Next came, the color Green

Show the world, that we are mean

Then came, the color Red

Show the world, the blood we shed

Finally, the color Blue

Show the world, that we are true

1,2... 3, 4

1,2... 3 and 4

1,2... 3, 4

Come on just a lil bit more

Parris Island where it all began

Little rock, with a bunch of sand

San Diego, learned to kill

Runnin up, them big ass hills

1st Phase, broke me down

2nd Phase I was comin round

3rd Phase, lean and mean

Graduating in my service greens
    -----This is my personal favorite. every time i go out i do this one.

For this one they just repeat you.

I can run to Iraq *clap*, like this

All the way to Iraq *clap*, like this

And when I get to Iraq Sadam he's guna say

WHO GIVES A F*** HE'S DEAD ANYWAY!!!

I can run to Pakistan *clap*, like this

All the way to Pakistan *clap*, like this

When I get to Pakistan Osama guna say

WHO GIVES A S*** HE'S DEAD FINALLY!!!
    -----------------------------------------------

Army Ranger came up to me

Son of a ***** had the nerve to say

How you make your living boy how you make your pay

And i replied with a whole lot of anger

kickin the s*** outta Army Rangers

Navy Seal came up to me

How you make your livin boy how you make your pay

And i replied with a whole lot of zeal

Beatin the f*** outta Navy Seals

Air Force Pilot came up to me

How you make your livin boy how you make your pay

And i replied with a whole lot of violence

F***in the wives of Air Force Pilots

Those are my top 3. Hope you enjoy Semper Fi

The cadences of today are different from the time I was in the USMC.It wasn't 1-2-3-4 left-right.Each D.I. had his own way of calling cadence.Sgt. Jackson's was my favorite.It went something like this I,I, ell Ite ell ite ell ite ell,your ell ite ell,your ell ite, your ell ite ell.His movement commands where always ...Hoo-iT.Sgt Joyner,a E4 Sgt,was Prit,pot,priat,pree pree ell.,and his movement command was Hooo-it.We had one D.I. that couldn't count cadence for crap,and he was hard to march to.Our head D.I.,Ssgt Mccarthy wasn't bad,but he couldn't touch Sgt Jackson.Sgt McIver was o.k.,as he had a very low keyed el ite,el ite your ell ite ell,and his move command was easy to hear..harch!
    We were right next to the San Diego airport,and we done a lot of push ups because we missed the movement command because a plane flew over our heads.The Coast Guard had a real noisy PBY type plane,that cost us dearly in push ups and leg lifts.You old 1st Battlion guys will know what I'm talking about!
    The marching has changed,as has the cadence.I don't like the shuffle they do now,and I think it's a shame that everyone has patent leather shoes.Doesn't anything get shined any more?
    Semper Fi

Thread Information