My son enlisted in the Marine Corps today
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My son enlisted in the Marine Corps today

I'm just so proud of him. He goes back next month to take the DLAB.

We were sure he would have been DQ'd at MEPS and have to go back with a waiver due to his left eye having an astigmatism of 5 diopters. But we sent him there with his records from a recent eye exam and he sent me a text and said they approved him!

He'll be put on a bus in an hour to head back home.

I know this isn't so important as to start a thread about it but I'm so frikkin happy for him and wanted to share the news with somebody!!

Great News Tun! I can only imagine how proud you will be at graduation! BTW - astigmatism of 5 diopters - who?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Heglar View Post
    Great News Tun! I can only imagine how proud you will be at graduation! BTW - astigmatism of 5 diopters - who?
    RX = X.XX - 5.00 at ??? axis

Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations to you and your entire family
    Sempe Fi

Congratulations, i know you are beyond happy. God Bless him and your family. He will make you proud he will be a HARD CHARGER and EARN the Eagle Globe and Anchor.

Semper Fi

R-O

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Heglar View Post
    lol, from what we were reading anything between 3 and 10 diopters would most likely require a waiver. My understanding is that a diopter describes how much the eye refracts light. But I could be completely off.

He did tell me that they had to give him a waiver for being one pound under weight (he's a bean pole, 6' and skinny) I told him that's a good thing...maybe they'll put him on double rations in boot camp!

Thanks for the sentiment, I am extremely proud.

Thank you Dave, Ronald & gehrij, as well! And you are correct, Dave, it is very important to us. I just didn't know if anyone here would be so interested. I should have known better because this really is a great community.

Congrats Tun,

My oldest son is working on losing a few lbs. in order to enlist right now, I told him many times he can always go army, navy,etc. but he want's to be a Marine. When I asked him why he said because we have a higher standard and also he appreciates the sense of brotherhood we share even after our tours are over. He has a grand uncle who's a Colonel in the ang and quite a few cousins with army ties, but he see's the difference in the way my 2 uncles (both Marines) and I respect each other and other Marines as well.
    Give your son our best wishes and let him know we will be proud to call him "Brother" when he graduates with that E.G.A. !

Semper Fi!...

TUN++++++++++Great for you and for your son. I know how you feel as my youngest has been in the Corps for 9 years and is hoping that he can ship over for more. But he as some foot problems left over Iraq. My 2ed now has 11 years in the Navy. At present he is in Washington State with the Abe Lincoln CVN 72 which in going to Newport News in a few months for a make over. BTW My Marine is a instructor at P-Cola at this time. Now you will know what your parents went through when your son is in combat. It's kinda a pay back. S/F to you and your son.

Congratulations - I know you are proud!!! Best of luck to your son
    My son is in his 4th week at Parris Island and we are counting the days till graduation

Thank you all! He is walking around with a puffed out chest.
    I know how he feels...

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OUTSTANDING NEWS !!!
    Keep us posted on his progress.
    Congrats to all.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Congratulations! Tell him to join us here at Leatherneck.com so he can gain the insightful knowledge of other poolees and Marines alike to prepare for the journey.

Thank you, Rocky & Kegler!

I set him up an account already so that he wouldn't muck up mine. I've let him read I just have not let him post yet.

He took his first IST this morning and did alright.

Pull-ups - 13
    1.5 run - 10:55
    crunches - 58

He said he had the best run time, 2nd best pull-ups but was on the lower end for his crunches only 4 other guys did less than he did.

I have to admit he hasn't been working on those crunches. I just haven't figured out a good way for him to practice them. We have hardwood floors throughout the house. I may just have to go up to the school where he does his pull-ups to hold his legs on those crunches. Unless you all have any better ideas.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats to you and son. I was proud of my two younger brothers when they served!

Nothing better to start a thread with. Congratulations to you
    and your son. I know he will make you very proud.

Gung Ho,

Ray

Thread Information