Officer Screening Form
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Officer Screening Form

Hi,

I recently filled out the Officer Screening Form for my local OSO. I filled it out on Monday, and it's Wednesday and I have not heard back from them yet. I am very sure I have nothing in my history that would prohibit me from joining - I even changed a tattoo I was getting in order to make sure it absolutely does not violate the Marine Corps standards. I was wondering how long I should expect to wait to hear back from them. Should I email them and ask what's up? Or should I just wait? Maybe I am overeager, I am not sure, but I figure I'd ask you Marines to find out if this is true, or if I should contact the OSO's office.

Last edited by Brendon; 05-11-11 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Spelling and a Redundancy Issue

Overeager!!!! Is an understatement. Marines are great at what they do. But Damn. Your stuff has to be compiled, put together correctly and sent up the chain for approval.

Over-eagerness isn't necessarily a bad thing. You want your OSO to know you're motivated and excited. Just don't let your over-eagerness switch to pestering... which I can tell you want to avoid.

In my opinion, no, it probably doesn't take that long to look over your pre-screening form. But, I'm sure you're not his only candidate right now. He's got other places to be and things to do as well. And yes, it may have to be reviewed by at least one other person who also has other places to be and things to do. I'd give it a full week. If you don't hear anything by Monday shoot him a polite e-mail or phone call asking if there is a status update.

Patience young grasshopper.

You're dealing with the Government here (the same organization that took nearly a decade to find OBL). Does the term "hurry up and wait" mean anything to you...it will. Get used to it early and your life will be easier.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks a lot all of you Marines. I really appreciate it, and this forum as well - I've been reading through it and it's very informative. I am pretty eager to join, or at least get the contract handled since I have one semester to go. If I could, I'd love to go to Quantico this summer, but if it's too late for that, the winter will be nice since you can go in the fall or winter if you graduate I learned. I deeply hope I get in, I've read the entire Marines website and sub websites and I have a hard time thinking about anything else.

I definitely want to avoid pestering the Captain, and I learned he is on the road doing some recruitment activities this week, so I will wait until Monday to shoot his office an email.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
    Thanks a lot all of you Marines. I really appreciate it, and this forum as well - I've been reading through it and it's very informative. I am pretty eager to join, or at least get the contract handled since I have one semester to go. If I could, I'd love to go to Quantico this summer, but if it's too late for that, the winter will be nice since you can go in the fall or winter if you graduate I learned. I deeply hope I get in, I've read the entire Marines website and sub websites and I have a hard time thinking about anything else.

I definitely want to avoid pestering the Captain, and I learned he is on the road doing some recruitment activities this week, so I will wait until Monday to shoot his office an email.

Brendon trust me I live in Virginia about an hour south of Quantico. You don't want to be there in the summer time

You've been given some good advice. Just be patient. You'll be filling out forms from now until you separate from the Corps, years down the road.

You didn't mention which MOS you're interested in. Of course unless you're Air or JAG you only get a "wish list" but which area interests you the most?

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks - I lived in D.C. for a semester as an intern for a lobbying firm, and that's not too far from Quantico, and I couldn't believe how warm it was for a Northeastern city once the summer hit - the winter that year was harsh too though (2010), but as a New Englander, I have no problem with the cold.

As for MOS, my first choice would be to become a Marine pilot, either planes or helicopters, I love both. My cousin, who is a Sergeant in the Army said that I have almost no chance of flying planes in the Marines because I never went to the Naval Academy, and although he wants to help me become a WO in the Army to fly helicopters, I really only want to be a Marine officer and I am not interested in the other branches.

Second choice would be infantry. I'm also interested in Tank and Amphibious Vehicle assault. I am pretty poor at mathematics, being a Political Science and English major, so I don't now how that would factor into my MOS.

Expect, at minimum, if you are VERY lucky...a 90 day wait.

Seriously. It may be longer....

Credits
    Savings
    Ouch! That would be a long time to be in suspense. Hopefully it works out. If I get the chance to talk to the recruiter soon, I want to ask him more about MARSOC. It looks awesome. I know you have to be in the Marines awhile before being able to apply, but that's my goal, if I can't be a pilot. I guess in the meanwhile I'll keep working out hard and maybe take a summer class to make my last semester load a little lighter. Thanks for the heads up though - I was hoping one week, but it sounds like I need to hunker down for a good wait. Hopefully I'll be able to post soon and say I got accepted.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm going to be honest with you. Three years ago I was playing "The Waiting Game" with my OSO. I graduated college in 2008. I had decent grades, high PFT, lots of extracuricular activies, great essay, ect...Well, a year and a half later, I was still playing "The Waiting Game."

I've always had it in me to enlist before becoming officer, which is what I did. Things happen for a reason. My OSO recruiter told me that I won't get accepted into OCS as a College Graduate. I guess being too qualified is bad. Hmm...Well, he's not a recruiter anymore. He's in the Fleet. I can't wait til my time comes and I pick up that butterbar. Funny thing is that it only took me less than two months to ship out to Parris Island. Crazy how that works out.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that you will be waiting a long time. Have fun!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks - I lived in D.C. for a semester as an intern for a lobbying firm, and that's not too far from Quantico, and I couldn't believe how warm it was for a Northeastern city once the summer hit - the winter that year was harsh too though (2010), but as a New Englander, I have no problem with the cold.

As for MOS, my first choice would be to become a Marine pilot, either planes or helicopters, I love both. My cousin, who is a Sergeant in the Army said that I have almost no chance of flying planes in the Marines because I never went to the Naval Academy, and although he wants to help me become a WO in the Army to fly helicopters, I really only want to be a Marine officer and I am not interested in the other branches.

Second choice would be infantry. I'm also interested in Tank and Amphibious Vehicle assault. I am pretty poor at mathematics, being a Political Science and English major, so I don't now how that would factor into my MOS.

Brendon I went to BU, you know what I'm taking about, In fact I just finished up a semester teaching history on Comm.Ave

With whatever to your cousin, he's full of bull corn. I spent 20 years flying for Navy and did not come within one day of matriculating at the Academy

PM me if you have any questions re. Marine Air or Air in general

Good luck to you!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    I'm going to be honest with you. Three years ago I was playing "The Waiting Game" with my OSO. I graduated college in 2008. I had decent grades, high PFT, lots of extracuricular activies, great essay, ect...Well, a year and a half later, I was still playing "The Waiting Game."

I've always had it in me to enlist before becoming officer, which is what I did. Things happen for a reason. My OSO recruiter told me that I won't get accepted into OCS as a College Graduate. I guess being too qualified is bad. Hmm...Well, he's not a recruiter anymore. He's in the Fleet. I can't wait til my time comes and I pick up that butterbar. Funny thing is that it only took me less than two months to ship out to Parris Island. Crazy how that works out.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that you will be waiting a long time. Have fun!!!
    Yeah, it does seem like I have a lot of waiting. But I'm very adamant about getting in as an officer. In my MMA gym, I told everyone what I'm doing, and they graciously let me train alongside the pro fighters in many cases and do their workouts, so physically I should be more than able when the time comes, although I believe I qualify now for sure. I'm going gung ho on my remaining college courses, and I'm already plotting my essays, character references and more. If I don't get in the first time I'll just reapply. My OSO seems to want me to finish college, I don't think graduating will hurt me. This website has helped me a lot in getting an idea of what I need to do though http://www.chicagomarineofficer.com/application.htm - It goes through the application process pretty well, and now I know what to expect. I'm still going to email the Captain tomorrow to see whats up. I just want to know if the initial screening form is all good, and maybe get an interview. I really want to meet him and go over things.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Brendon I went to BU, you know what I'm taking about, In fact I just finished up a semester teaching history on Comm.Ave

With whatever to your cousin, he's full of bull corn. I spent 20 years flying for Navy and did not come within one day of matriculating at the Academy

PM me if you have any questions re. Marine Air or Air in general

Good luck to you!
    That's awesome - if I could go to any other college, I would choose BU (I'm at UMass Lowell at the moment), it's a beautiful campus and a great school, and I love the city. I'll have to send you a PM, I definitely have a few questions, and I really appreciate the help!!! I'm also glad to hear my cousin is wrong, I was kind of despairing over the fact that I never went to the Naval Academy.

Credits
    Savings
    That's awesome - if I could go to any other college, I would choose BU (I'm at UMass Lowell at the moment), it's a beautiful campus and a great school, and I love the city. I'll have to send you a PM, I definitely have a few questions, and I really appreciate the help!!! I'm also glad to hear my cousin is wrong, I was kind of despairing over the fact that I never went to the Naval Academy.
    No worries, send it along. I went through PLC but got a chance to go Naval Air. Never looked back but the best close air supports in the world are Marine Air and it's not because of their skill level. It's because they know they are giving their support to their brothers on the deck

I'm just going to throw this out there because I'm a winger. There are two types of Pilots. The ones that act like normal people and are complete business when there flying, and those that who are completely business at all times. Trust me when I say being a normal person, even when being a officer is ok. I respect all my officers, but those who act like a normal person make my job alot more enjoyable and get alot more respect from everyone, and respect from powerline is something you want. Just had to throw it out there.

Thread Information