Best thing to do with hair before boot camp
Create Post

Question Best thing to do with hair before boot camp

Hello. This is poolee Monica Chaloupka. I have looked through previous posts concerning hair for entering boot camp and during boot camp and have not found one that answers my question. I have also asked female Marines and get conflicting results. My question is what to do with my hair before boot camp? Should I cut it short, say a pixie cut for reference, or keep growing it to make it easier to put in a bun?

I understand that you are looking for advice on what to do and make it easier for yourself during boot camp, but this is a choice that YOU have to make.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Can't say what to do...however in the Women Marine forum on this site is a thread that some of the woman that frequent here posted on and the consensus is cut it short....because it will grow back and free up time for other things that are more important in boot camp.

Good luck!

Concur, that seems to be the current trend. Easier to deal with in the long run. Don't get a high and tight or whatever, just cut it pixie or shorter.

Whatever you do with your hair, just make sure that it is not considered eccentric. If you arrive at Parris Island and your hair is eccentric, i.e. collored or in dreads or braids, they will simply make the choice for you and shave it off. Not trying to scare you, but this just happened out there this past week. Two girls showed up, one with pink hair and the other with dreadlocks. They are both now bald and in training with the rest of the recruits.

It's your choice.

But, like mentioned above, the shorter cut would be a lot more manageable and quicker (being quick is important in bootcamp...you DON'T want to be slow). Besides the extra time it would take to put your hair up in an approved bun, that just gives your DI's something else to look at and maybe give you grief over. Why give them the opportunity (and save yourself some time on the quarterdeck)?

Have heard female Marines recommend you cut your hair like a month before shipping to give yourself time to get used to it (practice combing it out after your shower to get done as fast as you can). After bootcamp, you may conclude you actually like that style and decide to keep it (many do). If not, then you can always let your hair grow out again. Just consider it an experiment with a new hair style courtesy of the USMC!

Good luck.

Thread Information