MOS'es and Deployments
Create Post

MOS'es and Deployments

I'll start this by saying what I usually do in a post, the answers I receive and the truths to my questions will not influence my decision to continue on to becoming a Marine and won't hinder my MOS choice.

My question is, they say every MOS is deployable. That's understandable. But I know of a few Admins that have never deployed, and it's brought me to wonder if the things like desk jobs, or MOS'es like Supply, really don't end up deploying. One of the Recruiters in our District has been in for 12 years and never deployed, so I'm curious as to how this works. I'm mainly curious about the Supply field, because if I chose that I might be able to ship out sooner. I'm not opposed to deploying, just curious as to what I should expect. Thanks in advance.

Jacksonville, NC but deployed to Marjeh, AFG
    Credits
    Savings
    First off, let me open with this: That yes, every MOS is deployable. There will be need on a deployment for every MOS you have in garrison. With that said, the limitations to a deployment are typically based on the indivudal. Extenuating circumstances or injury that might disqaulify one person from a battalion for example. Then of course there is the actual unit a Marine belongs to. There are headquarters and service/support battalions all over the Marine Corps for each installation. My first unit, for example, was the support battalion for Camp LeJeune. The entire unit was considered non-deployable, because they were the highest eschelon element at Camp LeJeune. So we would provide support for any and all units who deployed from there. My current unit, 3rd Battalion 9th Marines, is an infantry battalion and of course deploys.

When a unit deploys, they will try to take as many with them as they can as long as there is a need for that Marine. There is always limited "boat space" as they call it, and sometimes there is a maximum number of Marines that a subordinate command is allowed to deploy with. These are just some of the other factors that can go into determining if you deploy or not.

Timing can be another large factor. If you get orders to a unit that deployed a month or two before you check in, of course you won't join them. Then if they aren't slated to deploy again any time soon after that, you might get orders to a different unit and not end up deploying that way.

Hopefully that's enough information to answer your question, and if not, I'm sure I can conjure up some more information!

Thread Information