Nong Son...overrun...7/4/67...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nong Son...overrun...7/4/67...

Before I ramble further about my time at this remote outpost I'll await some responses.
    Haven't had much luck in the past finding some who know of this glorious outpost.
    I have some pics, experiences and comments of my own.
    Yes...I know the story well and about Melvin Newlin getting the MOH.

Hopefully, there is some F/2/5 and (I believe) W/3/11 members here who can discuss our era at Nong Son and this event that has always weighed quite heavily on me.

Thanks....

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Chasing 2nd NVA Division 3/5 - 2/5 the outpost wasn't completly overrun

http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...00309000_3.pdf

I've had email dialogue with a couple that were there and did not think 'overrun' was an overstatement.

Thanks and have a good day..

oh....the outpost I'm referring to is Nong Song Mtn (Hill 300) above the coal mine which I did not specify clearly in my original post.
    A few miles south on An Hoa on the Song Thu Bon.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Chasing 2nd NVA Division 3/5 - 2/5 the outpost wasn't completly overrun

http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...00309000_3.pdf
    Yes...although I'd recalled reading Newlins' radio comments this document stated that the VC 'did not overrun the entire outpost as they had hoped'.
    Being Part IV - page 4.

Lots of good and various info in this document.

w/3/11

Then Sgt Kerry Miller, Operations Chief w/3/11. May 67 to Oct 67. I was the odd guy with either a .45 and 17 mags or as soon as I could lose it an automatic M14 with bipod. Pskeivich and Rose were two of my people wounded in the assault. Glad to find a place where someone remembers.

oldbaldguy47@live.com

Last edited by Oldbaldguy47; 07-24-11 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbaldguy47 View Post
    Then Sgt Kerry Miller, Operations Chief w/3/11. May 67 to Oct 67. I was the odd guy with either a .45 and 17 mags or as soon as I could lose it an automatic M14 with bipod. Pskeivich and Rose were two of my people wounded in the assault. Glad to find a place where someone remembers.

oldbaldguy47@live.com
    Was Chuck Ables your CO (or similar) at the time?

Respect to you and welcome.
    Some of us are still alive and kicking.
    I spent much time at Nong Son so this event is close to my heart for all that endured it.

Incidentally....you will get more respect and responses
    with more effort added to your profile.
    Just a friendly reminder.

Carry on......

Commanders

Not a familiar name. There was a smallish red headed Lt. in charge of the unit when I got there. He was recovering from malaria and I was the senior NCO for several weeks. We got Lt. Shaver about mid to late August if I remember. I made a op briefing with the grunt company cammander in that period but on the hill that was about it.

Back on hill 55 where 3/11 was headquartered I barely knew anyone because I was almost never there.

Thanks for the heads up on the profile. just signed on today and haven't taken time to look around or do a profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbaldguy47 View Post
    Not a familiar name. There was a smallish red headed Lt. in charge of the unit when I got there. He was recovering from malaria and I was the senior NCO for several weeks. We got Lt. Shaver about mid to late August if I remember. I made a op briefing with the grunt company cammander in that period but on the hill that was about it.

Back on hill 55 where 3/11 was headquartered I barely knew anyone because I was almost never there.

Thanks for the heads up on the profile. just signed on today and haven't taken time to look around or do a profile.
    No prob...the profile thing is a necessity here.
    When you read some of the posts around here it will become painfully obvious as to 'why'.

I was never at Hill 55 but if I remember correctly one of my CO's got transferred to a 155 gun section there....unless I'm thinking Hill 54?

My home fire base was hill 35 with 3/5 and did all of our chopper OPs from that location.
    Hmmm.....my old CO (Lt. Howe) was friends with Chuch Ables during that era so thought I would inquire.
    Welcome to the looney bin.

Yes I agree

[IMG]http://www.************/miao.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.************/miao1.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.************/miao2.jpg[/IMG]

Ah yes, the impregnable mountain at Nong Son. I believe the only thing that prevented it from being overrun at the top was the artillery rounds that hit on both sides of the hill. Also, it would have helped if someone had believed the force recon unit across the river that said people were scaling up the side. I was the H&S radio operator for Captain Graham during Operation Union II. Another bad time for 2/5.

Ricko....

Cool pic of Hill 452 across the Song Thu Bon.
    During my research for my personal Vietnam DVD documentary (2008) I made contact and had much dialogue with Bill Woodier who was 1st Force Recon at the 452 summit and supplied M60 supporting fire during that event.

I also have a write up by Doug Francescon.
    He was an Army Soldier who was manning the search light in the small clearing half way down the hill from the summit of Hill 300.
    He tells quite a dark, desperate story of survival being seriously wounded.

I do have a few more pics from the summit of Hill 300 in the my 'Stuff' album but I do have more which were contributed by Bill Woodier and others for my DVD.
    Whew....the memories.

Thanks to all for adding further info and F/2/5 (if my research serves me well) for the night march to Nong Son on that fateful evening.

SF Brothers....carry on.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Capt. Vern Arndt here. In July 67 I was 1st Plt Cmdr. Golf Co which replaced F company at the Nong Son coal mine. I was at the coal many times in my 7 months with Golf 2/5. Welcome home, Marine! I have many pictures posted of my stay there.

Thread Information