Reenlist after 9 years? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    still playing the waiting game gents.. Been approved to go to combat engineers but have to attend an 8 week course next year if i do it. Work is going to love that.

My PSR is trying to get me into an LAR unit in Frederick or Quantico though. Either way I have to agree to retrain in another MOS. Either 1372 or 0313. NO 0311 spots open near me. Sucks.

Hopefully I can be sworn in by Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by cucinae5 View Post
    still playing the waiting game gents.. Been approved to go to combat engineers but have to attend an 8 week course next year if i do it. Work is going to love that.

My PSR is trying to get me into an LAR unit in Frederick or Quantico though. Either way I have to agree to retrain in another MOS. Either 1372 or 0313. NO 0311 spots open near me. Sucks.

Hopefully I can be sworn in by Friday.
    Good luck with that. Once you are in, if you go to training, or summer duty, etc., work has to grin and bear it. They cannot retaliate against or terminate employment. That's the law. Where I work, a reservist was sent to Iraq for a year. Work didn't like it, but too bad. She has been back for about 2 and just left again for an indefinite time. Anyway...8 weeks is not much, and they should be grateful you are willing to serve.

Let me know if you come to Frederick!

No problem. Hopefully I get some answers tomorrow.

You know its funny. I was with that unit in Quantico for a little while back before the Iraq war. They were at 50% manning when I joined. After Iraq started they were full.

It's amazing to hear that an LAR unit is full on 0311s. I'm sure you'll enjoy 0313 though. Nothing better than laying down some hate and discontent with a Bushmaster!

Well I should have an answer by Friday where I am going. My 3 spots are Frederick MD - (LAR) 0313 waiting on approval, Parkville MD - (Combat Engineer) 1372? already approved, or Quantico VA (LAR) 0313 waiting on approval.

Brian 0351 - were you an 0351 while at Quantico or an 0313? If an 0313 what was it like?

Ok, here we go.. I have an interview with the 1st Sgt at LAR/Frederick MD tomorrow morning. If that goes well I will be with that unit. If not I will be with Combat Engineers our of Parkville, MD. Either I believe I am swearing in by Wednesday.

Leprechaun do you know the exact directions from Baltimore to LAR in Frederick. GPS/Mapquest/Google Maps doesn't like the address given for some reason. Figured since you asked me to let you know if I was going there you may have been there.

Thanks guys. I will let you know how the interview goes when I return home.

Send me a PM when you get home I'll get you directions from where ever you are coming from to the 4th LAR building, address has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by cucinae5 View Post
    Well I should have an answer by Friday where I am going. My 3 spots are Frederick MD - (LAR) 0313 waiting on approval, Parkville MD - (Combat Engineer) 1372? already approved, or Quantico VA (LAR) 0313 waiting on approval.

Brian 0351 - were you an 0351 while at Quantico or an 0313? If an 0313 what was it like?

I was an 0351 in the fleet. I trained as an 0352 for D Co LAR, I never got to do anything with them because they sent me to SOI for the 0352 MOS and then they deployed to Iraq. So I quit the unit and came out here as a contractor.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Good luck with that. Once you are in, if you go to training, or summer duty, etc., work has to grin and bear it. They cannot retaliate against or terminate employment. That's the law. Where I work, a reservist was sent to Iraq for a year. Work didn't like it, but too bad. She has been back for about 2 and just left again for an indefinite time. Anyway...8 weeks is not much, and they should be grateful you are willing to serve.

Hey,

Make sure you check your orders too...when I was activated in 01, my orders stated that the five year cumulative time limit (amount of time they had to hold your job and could not replace you) did not apply.

AAV Crewchief - not sure I follow.. When you got activated did you go away from your job for 5 consecutive years??? I am confused on what you are saying. My understanding of USERRA is you are covered unless you serve over 5 consecutive years.

Had my interview Saturday and all went well. The 1st Sgt. and Major both said they would love to have me on board and are emailing my PSR to confirm. So with any luck talking to my PSR Friday he said if they accepted my I could probably swear in on Wednesday. I will keep updating, but things look good.

Anybody know any tailoring/cleaners in the Baltimore area that know how do press, clean, and deal with other stuff regarding our uniforms?

cucinae5, you totally jacked this thread. I thought it was yours. How long were you off contract for?

Wasn't done intentionally. I jumped to give my experience to everyone trying.

I have been off contract for 9 years.

Congrats. I tried getting back in and got all the paperwork on my end set and waited to hear back from the PSR when she got her end done. That was back in December. So I said **** it.

Thread Information