Reenlist after 9 years? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Will do. As of this morning I haven't heard anything. I did send an email out for a sitrep, but it usually takes my PSR a day to get back to me unless I call him.

I talked to the local PSR and today he told me that until further notice,absolutely no off contract waivers would be given consideration. If you are not still on contract you are SOL. Hopefully this doesn't affect any of you but just FYI.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaBirk View Post
    I'm considering reenlisting in the reserves after being discharged from active duty almost 9 years. I'm not wanting to waste the prior service recruiters time so what's anyones thoughts?

Did that myself back in 1999. It was about 8 years though. Went into AF reserves. I've got 19 years in for retirement purposes and just reupped for 6 more in March.

Ok Gents here is where I stand:

Talked to my PSR Wednesday and my package is sitting on the desk of the section that actually approves and does calculations for reenlistment. From what he is telling me it looks very good that I will have an approval sometime next week most likely. At the latest the following week.

Would have been nice to get the approval before the holiday weekend, but hey as long as it comes back approved I will not complain.

Enjoy the weekend and I will give a sitrep as soon as I get word.

Quote Originally Posted by Muztang11 View Post
    I talked to the local PSR and today he told me that until further notice,absolutely no off contract waivers would be given consideration. If you are not still on contract you are SOL. Hopefully this doesn't affect any of you but just FYI.
    I wonder if this applies to the reserves. I got an email from my PSR two days ago and he had reported everything was going as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    I wonder if this applies to the reserves. I got an email from my PSR two days ago and he had reported everything was going as planned.

I think there are a lot of different versions to all of it. Just about any recruiter or PSR you talk to will give you a different answer. It is all about finding the ones that will put the leg work into getting it done.

Reserve wise I have heard nothing of no one being off contract not being able to get back in.

Active side you have to find a regular recruiter. I found one that seemed like he knew what he was talking about and said the odds of off contract getting back in right now is probably not going to happen. He said most likely they will start taking more in Oct.

Of course like I said they all give you different answers or different versions.

ok gents, just to update my PSR had to do a couple things to my package on Friday that HQMC requested and it is still sitting on the desk. My PSR says he thinks that I will get an approval any day now.

So still playing the waiting game. Just in case I didn't say it before and so everyone can see how long this takes. I started this process with this PSR last August.

Ok latest update. I have been approved. Long wait but well worth it.. I swear in next week and get my id about 5 days after that. I will keep everyone posted as I move along. For all those who are trying to do this, don't give up. I've been off contract since 01 and was accepted.

Well done! Get ready to PCS immediately (from my experience anyway) or start burning leave. Something I didn't realize when I went through this process...but it may have changed since '97.

Leaving the thread open...and keep us in the loop if you can. What MOS did you get? Did you get to keep your old one or do you have to lat move?

Well more waiting games now. I was set up to go into a PWST billet which didn't require me to LAT move. Now they are closing the billet down so I can't go there.

My PSR is talking to a 1st Sgt. tonight to see if I can get into there admin spot as a 03, but who knows. If not my only other options are to wait until September which my acceptance will have expired and I would have to do the process all over again or LAT into another MOS which would require at least going to school for 6 weeks.

That isn't really an option because I know my company will just do away with my position so they would get around the USRRA laws of having to hold my spot.

Getting very frustrated at this point. All this way to continue to play games.

Sigh. I know the feeling, believe me. It does suck.

Ok update on the update. LOLOL My PSR called the 1st Sgt. that is located at the reserve unit and pleaded with him to allow me to come into HQ there as some type of Admin Clerk or something like that. The 1st Sgt. agreed, but has to clear it through his CO. If this I would be on contract and we could readdress where I go come September when spaces come open again.

So I am supposed to know something by Thursday or Friday. He was sending the 1st Sgt. my paperwork tonight.

So hurry up and wait and then play the guessing game and then take a 50 50 shot that a Captain will allow me to join the team. Hopefully he is one of those Captains that listens to his 1st Sgt.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Sweeet! Yup. Keep us in the loop.

Ok, update to the updates ... ha ha

I talked to the 1st Sgt. last night and he basically gave me an over the phone interview. Good guy. He is trying to reach is CO to request I be approved. I just had to commit to going to the MOS training. They want to put me into a 1371 billet. No 0311 billets available. So I am waiting on word that the CO gave the OK. So I am in stand by mode yet again. ha ha

I have been out of the loop for 20 -- no 24 years -- and am very surprised that former active duty Marines have such difficulty getting back into the Marine Corps, whether active or reserve. Doesn't it benefit the Corps to bring back a trained, experienced NCO vs. a raw recruit? Or is it all about money nowadays? Seems a shame to have to go the National or Air National Guard route, but it is apparently a more viable option.

Thread Information