Your Personal Insight on this MOS? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Actually....not so much. With a 'veterans preference', the degree, and a clearance, (Remember, the FBI is a branch of the fed, and as such has eeo hiring practices) he'll at least be competitive....moreso with the military time than without. Not a bad plan, if he can stick with it. Even in my little rinkydink agency, nowadays unless you are at LEAST a 5 point preference vet, you aren't even going to make the initial resume cut to get CONSIDERED for a job.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SchmoyerT View Post
    I'm getting a degree while I'm enlisted. I hear it will be tough, but I can handle it. I've carried a 4.0 throughout high school and have college classes. I figured a degree, a clearance, and military experience would work well together.

Look this over, might give you some directional help

FBI SPECIAL AGENT CRITICAL SKILLS

After qualifying for one of the Entry Programs, Special Agent candidates with one or more Critical Skills will be prioritized in the hiring process.

Although I am typically against this route and would not normally recomend it, have you considered the Reserves? You will be a Marine, and depending on your MOS, get the security clearance, good training, and the opportunity to still go to school full time. I say this if you view the Marine Corps as a stepping stone to the FBI, which is not a problem if you complete your service honorably....

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I want to do active duty. Thank you to all who gave their advice. From what I've heard here, my plan is pretty good. Thanks again.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Lol. How long do you have to serve to be considered a vet? A full contract?

Yep.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What are my chances of getting to guard an embassy? :P

That's a loooong way off. If you keep your nose clean, not bad. But typically, that's a second enlistment.

That's a B-billet, not a bad job but you often get stuck in a chithole your first tour.

My thoughts on the FBI are entry level people do not rate a top secret clearance, they don't need it. Do you think some three letter agency is going to let someone on the job for a day have access to secret information. A TS/SCI says that you can handle the responsibility, but not much more.

If you're going active duty, good luck. It's not that it's hard to do balancing the stressful life of a grunt and college, although it is. It's the fact that, THERE IS NO TIME. Some guys can get an AA in four years doing online courses and stuff.

Being a Marine is a life-changing experience, but take it one step at a time. If you want to be a Marine you'll sign up, but be aware that the experience isn't going to get you a job.

Thread Information