Your Personal Insight on this MOS?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Your Personal Insight on this MOS?

I leave for bootcamp pretty soon. My selected MOS is Marine Corps Security Forces (PRP). I know what this MOS consists of, so I'm not here asking about what the job is like. What I'm curious to know is if there are any Marines here that have had or currently have this MOS, and what they personally thought/think of it. I'd like to know your opinions. For that matter, anyone's opinions are welcome, not just those who have had this MOS. Thanks in advance!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Not exactly on topic, but be sure and let us know when you finish boot camp, although it won't be for some time yet.
    I hope someone on here can give you some up to date, useful info on the MOS
    Good luck in boot camp.
    I'll be sure to do that. Thank you sir.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks I guess. Bump.

He's not far from being wrong. The job sounds far better, sometimes, than it really is. You stand a LOT of posts, offtimes in boring places. Once your time in SF is over, you'll be going to the FMF, and unless you've kept up on your infantry skills, you'll be behind your peers.

Just something to consider. It's not a BAD job by any means, but don't make more out of it than it really is.

Just don't be an idiot when you hit the fleet, no one wants to hear your, "this one time at Bangor.." stories, they're going to hate you no matter what just because you're SF. They teach some cool stuff there and you have opportunities to go through some good training if you're FAST or something, but just shut up and listen to the combat vets, shoot your idea of what you think is the correct way of doing something past one of them first and work it out before your dumbass uses what you learned in all of your high speed firewatch days in combat.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much to the both of you. But although you can get stationed in boring places, you can also get stationed in some pretty cool ones I'd imagine too, right?

The MOS's for the UW Program are 0300/11/31/41/51/52
    You will be an infantryman anyway you look at it. I have know several that have had this Program and they went on to the Fleet without a big head and bragging about the places they had been. All Unit's/Post's/Barrack's will train to keep up their infantry skills!

Quote Originally Posted by SchmoyerT View Post
    ...I know what this MOS consists of,...
    No you don't.

It takes patience, if you don't have it you'll learn it. And while you're standing often redundant watches alone and at night you will have plenty of time to think about where you'll be standing watch as a minimumish wage security guard when you get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    """"they're going to hate you no matter what just because you're SF""""""

Here's what I never understood. Marines hating other Marines. For any reason. But this is the way it is in reality and sometimes on this very site. I don't remember being taught this in boot camp. It's probably something relatively new. Just so we can be like the rest of society.
    Kinda like how Marines never lie, cheat or steal.

Everyone cheats on MCIs

But then again, it's not stealing, everyone's just trying to get their own chit back..

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I actually plan taking that security clearance and joining the FBI when I get out. Or some other form of law enforcement.

Then why are you enlisting? If the end goal is FBI, go to college...

Being a grunt isn't going to get you a job dude. Understanding the law is often more important to a cop than the Glock he carries.

FBI only cares that you have a 4 year degree, preferably in Accounting or a BS degree in something. Clearance won't get you anything with them, maybe a slight edge in hiring but that's about it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm getting a degree while I'm enlisted. I hear it will be tough, but I can handle it. I've carried a 4.0 throughout high school and have college classes. I figured a degree, a clearance, and military experience would work well together.

And so they shall. At least you have a plan.

Thread Information