Broken collarbone.
Closed Thread
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Broken collarbone.

Long story short, I was horsing around with my friends and my buddy who weighs 50+ pounds more than me fell on top of me and snap.. my collarbone cracked like a twig. After going to the hospital they gave me a sling that was optional to wear (I don't wear it) and said 6 weeks for it to heal. This all seems fine and dandy, but he said a small bump may form on my shoulder after it heals.

Would that small bump (if it shows up) be a problem when it comes to enlisting? I'm 16 for future reference.

Many thanks in advance.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment

Miscellaneous conditions of the extremities

Fractures.

Current or history of contusion of bone or joint; an injury of more than a minor nature that will interfere or prevent performance of military duty, or will require frequent or prolonged treatment without fracture nerve injury, open wound, crush or dislocation, which occurred within the preceding 6 weeks (upper extremity (923), lower extremity (924), ribs and clavicle (922)) is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...tremities3.htm

Initially it will disqualify you. When it's time for you to meet with a recruiter, he/she will request/submit for a waiver, they can take some time, so be patient. And no......the Marines here have no idea how long a waiver request will take, and if your waiver will be approved or not . Just be honest and upfront about everything.

The doctors at MEPS will require that all of your your medical documents regarding your broken collarbone be disclosed, as well as any documentation of any physical rehabilitation you went through. While getting your routine physical, the doctor will look more closely at your shoulders than he does others, and possibly bend and twist the previously injured shoulder a bit more to test its range of motion. They will be checking to make sure the injury healed properly and will not present any intense pain during initial recruit training.

Also, you may want to start wearing that sling they gave you at the hospital so your shoulder can heal properly!!!

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy 8 View Post
    Long story short, I was horsing around with my friends and my buddy who weighs 50+ pounds more than me fell on top of me and snap.. my collarbone cracked like a twig. After going to the hospital they gave me a sling that was optional to wear (I don't wear it) and said 6 weeks for it to heal. This all seems fine and dandy, but he said a small bump may form on my shoulder after it heals.

Would that small bump (if it shows up) be a problem when it comes to enlisting? I'm 16 for future reference.

Many thanks in advance.
    Wait until you are old enough, then see a Recruiter.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Alright guys, thanks for the help. Let's hope it heals fully!

And it's 'Marines'. Closed/answered

Thread Information