Preparing For Marine basic training
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preparing For Marine basic training

Hello Marines and Poolees. I just have a few questions of recommendations and equivalent, to prepare myself for Parris Island. I intend to sign my papers this August, and possibly leave the following spring. Or whenever the Marines ship me out.

I was told the average amount of water to drink daily is 12 to 14 canteens. In order to avoid the silver bullet.. How should I go about working my way up to drinking that much water without water intoxication, or any other risks?

So far at weekly PT, we focus on high knees, push ups, pull ups, ad crunches, six inches, side-straddle hops, and sitting against the wall doing squats. And of course my weakest point, cardio.

What is the best way to do those exercises/drills if Im alone, because my anti-military parents rarely let me meet with the Poolees to train?
    And also, what is the best way to improve cardio, pace, endurance, etc? I can run a good distance in a good time if Im paced right, but I haven't been able to pace myself or prepare to run properly. Usually ending in my throwing up.

I've been studying my General Orders for Sentries and Marine Corps history, which Im pretty confident with, and randomly say throughout the day to test my memory.

Is there anything else I should do to prepare myself?

Any and all help is appreciated, so Im taking notes!

The Marine Corps has booot camp, not basic training.....that's the Army.

If you take a look at some of the sticky topics in the poolee forum, they might help give you some answers to some of the questions you have.

These might help you out also.....

12 weeks Overview

12 WEEKS, 2 PERSPECTIVES

Real footage of Marine Corps recruit training.
    http://www.marines.com/main/index/ma...arine-bootcamp

Recruit Training
    http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

Someone is yanking your chain. Don't try to drink that much water, ever. Don't worry too much about preparing for boot, you won't be prepared. It sounds like you've got plenty of time just work on a decent PFT and general fitness as goals. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog7 View Post
    I was told the average amount of water to drink daily is 12 to 14 canteens. In order to avoid the silver bullet.. How should I go about working my way up to drinking that much water without water intoxication, or any other risks?

I've been studying my General Orders for Sentries and Marine Corps history, which Im pretty confident with, and randomly say throughout the day to test my memory.
    First off Im just gonna say 12 to 14 canteens a day is alot different when you're out in the Parris Island heat.When you're out in the heat doing PT and Drill and so on staying hydrated is a priority. But for right now you should just focus on staying hydrated and not how much you drink. Second, It's good to know your General Orders and Marine Corps knowledge cause it will put you ahead of most of the recruits in your plt, but at the same time your are going to be taught it all again while your there so having it memorized will help intially but everyone is going to have to learn and memorize, so you'll just be a little ahead of the curve. Now I'm not saying it's useless to be studying all that now, but you should be more focused on your PFT. And the best way to get better at all your exercises is to keep doing them. Hope that helped shine a light. Good luck.

Keep yourself hydrated but don't bother trying to drink three gallons a day unless you are constantly doing physically strenuous activities. The truth of the matter is that in boot camp more than half your time will be spend not doing anything very physically demanding so 12 canteens is an absurd number. You're right in bringing up water intoxication though even with that much you're not going to be at risk for it unless you have a condition that makes you highly susceptible to it. Maintain a decent salt intake and you'll be fine.

There may be a rare occasion where one of the hats will get ****ed off and make you chug water but that's generally for punishment, not hydration. Your body will only absorb less than 10% of the water you take in if you're chugging it and many of them know this. They're trying to make you puke up the water to remind you to hydrate properly. Seems ridiculous but that's barely the tip of the iceberg.

Just drink enough so that you're not thirsty. Everyone's body is different so the 12-14 canteen rule is pretty much out the window. However if any drill instructor ever asks you how much water you've had for no reason (as in, you're not sick), high ball it. If you've been awake for twelve hours it'd probably be a good idea to say you lost count at ten.

All of those exercises can be done alone and in a small bedroom. You'll make time for it. If you want to get used to how you'll be doing them it's usually done in a four count cadence (1, 2, 3, 1. 1, 2, 3, 2. 1, 2, 3, 3. 1, 2, 3, 4. you get the picture). As far as history goes it's not a bad idea to study up but don't fret too much about it. They'll pound that **** into your head over and over so often, you'll be repeating it constantly in line at the chow hall and in the squad bay and any time you're not actually in the middle of doing something that it'll stick in your head. The test on it will be the most mind-numbingly easy test you'll ever take until you realize it's exactly the same as the BST you'll be taking every year in the fleet.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    There also can be other medical concerns with drinking that much H2O....

You might was away the electrolytes in your system....creating more problems with that much hydration.

Take the advice of these Marines.....and get your priorities in order.....knowledge is power.....PT is your lifeline.....common sense is PRICELESS!

Good luck!

Thank you, Marines. I've been keeping hydrated and in shape, pushing myself more, little by little, weekly. I had a feeling that much water was too much. I bought a canteen, filled it, and thought "*******..". I'm just gonna continue working my way up with weekly PT meets. I dropped stressing my Marine Corps History, but I'll stick with reading my General Orders from time to time. I might not leave until October or February, but I'm highly motivated for this.

Is there anything else I might need to know?

Also, thank you for the links, Ma'am.

Ah the 10 now 11 general orders. The first was To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing. When I was in now it is to take charge of this post and all government property in view.

The canteen thingy reminds me of when we took our first Pee test at PI I could not go. We about 15 recruits had to walk around with a canteen to our mouth until we peed in the cup with a DI looking at our privates. One recruit after about 5 canteens worth puked and they made him clean it up with his towel. I went into the head with the DI and strained until I was red in the face to pee half of the cup. I was then cleared to stand at attention on line. I loved boot camp and consider it one of the best parts of my life.

why do you all make such a big deal using the term basic training instead of bootcamp... its the same thing people

Quote Originally Posted by Joel70 View Post
    why do you all make such a big deal using the term basic training instead of bootcamp... its the same thing people
    Exactly. Hell, if they wanted to be accurate they wouldn't call it boot camp so those complaining about it are merely committing the same offense. Boot camp, recruit training, basic training, whatever; it still does the same thing: prepare basically trained Marines.

who we then call boots

Just like Softball said, basic traing is for the Army and we damn sure aint the Army. If you want to get technical PRIVATE we dont have "Bootcamp" either but seeing as how you're a 5yr Private I guess you didn't learn that either.
    You need to either quit lying on your profile or get it squared away. Until then you shouldn't be going around questioning our methods you tracking.

<LI class=profilefield_category>About Joel70 Rank E-1 Year Entered Marine corps 2006 Year Exited Marine Corps Still in Service

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 04-30-11 at 01:04 AM.

Also I do agree the pupose of them all is to basically train Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Airmen. But all branches have different terms for the same thing. We're Marines so we're gonna call it what it's typically called in the Corps, not what others refer to it as.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAce2212 View Post
    Just like Softball said, basic traing is for the Army and we damn sure aint the Army. If you want to get technical PRIVATE we dont have "Bootcamp" either but seeing as how you're a 5yr Private I guess you didn't learn that either.
    You need to either quit lying on your profile or get it squared away. Until then you shouldn't be going around questioning our methods you tracking.

<LI class=profilefield_category>About Joel70 Rank E-1 Year Entered Marine corps 2006 Year Exited Marine Corps Still in Service
    chill out, not everyone fills out the profile upon first joining. it automatically fills in E-1 so it's not a lie, just the default settings.

There's nothing wrong with calling it basic training just like there's nothing wrong with calling it boot camp. They all mean the same thing. Our training is just as "basic" as the Army's. It's certainly different but a brand new Marine is no more a hard charging warrior ready to kill than a brand new soldier.

you need a hug

Quote Originally Posted by BadAce2212 View Post
    Also I do agree the pupose of them all is to basically train Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Airmen. But all branches have different terms for the same thing. We're Marines so we're gonna call it what it's typically called in the Corps, not what others refer to it as.
    and there are plenty of marines that refer to it as basic. if you want to be proper and accurate you'll always refer to it as recruit training but I'm not about to listen to anyone telling me I can't call it boot camp anymore

Well hell. I cant say I can jump in on this necessarily, but I do admit it was my mistake on saying basic, and I would like to correct myself. Bootcamp.

I understand the Marines are not sailors, airmen, or soldiers. And when they have a name for something, then that is wht is politically correct. I wouldn't want a civvie referring to MARPAT as ACU.
    Or Marines as soldiers. And Marines as people.
    I think someone got chewed out on this site for calling Marines just people.
    Entitlement is earned. :smiley:

The difference there is that MARPAT and ACU are official names. "Basic training" and "boot camp" are just slang. The only proper name is United States Marine Corps Recruit Training but I'm not about to say all that - or even just recruit training - when I can just say "boot" and people know what I'm talking about.

Newsflash: Marines are people. People trained as Marines but we are people nonetheless. Then again I wouldn't refer to soldiers as "just" people either. Or cops. Or astrophysicists. don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong and I'm sorry for hijacking your thread.

Thread Information