Worried soon to be wife! :(
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Spouse Free Member TaylorWebb's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Worried soon to be wife! :(

My fiance is joining the Marine Corps, He ships out 20110509 but his job has changed 3 times in the last few weeks. He went from MP to Intel and now is back at MP. When it was first MP he was told he would deploy normal etc nothing crazy. When it swapped to MP they told him it was a better choice because MP's deploy twice as much and many other negative things about MP's. Now that it has swapped again his recruiter has changed the story. Can anyone enlighten me on the truth?? We are making wedding plans and I am getting tired of the wish-washiness about the whole situation!

Any help is greatly appreciated and a big thank you to anyone who responds with advice.

If you are going to marry this guy, you might try getting used to what he will be going through and I would suggest you back him up and support him in whatever he does, or your marriage will not last very long.

Favorite motto for a USMC spouse: "Semper Gumby" (always flexible).

Your fiance is not even a Marine yet and you are already having issues with the Corps. You haven't even faced your first deployment yet. This is only a small taste of what life can/will be like...it will get worse. If you let a small deal like this get to you then you are in for a long ride (this is nothing).

Rule #1: your life will be determined by the needs of the Marine Corps

Rule #2: when in doubt, refer to rule #1

Good luck to you and your fiance.

p.s., here's a piece of advice: learn to work around the USMC's schedule cause it is not going to work around yours. To put it bluntly...the Corps does not care about your wedding plans.

I agree with "Old Marine" you are going to have some serious issues when/if he becomes a Marine if your having problems already im sure things will change for him a lot in the future so I would get used to it.!

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Although I do not know much about the MP mos, except they are a bunch of nice guys. I can give you a bit of advice as a Marine wife. #1 Marine Corp will run your life as much as much as it runs his. #2 A supportive wife is not issued but we do make a lot of it easier. #3 If you are not going to support the Marine Corp and their never certain ways, Marine wife may not be the job for you. #4 A Marine's wife life is never certain so make your self a oh crap emergency move plan lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your going to see a different person when he gets through boot camp than when you got married to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel1182 View Post
    Although I do not know much about the MP mos, except they are a bunch of nice guys. I can give you a bit of advice as a Marine wife. #1 Marine Corp will run your life as much as much as it runs his. #2 A supportive wife is not issued but we do make a lot of it easier. #3 If you are not going to support the Marine Corp and their never certain ways, Marine wife may not be the job for you. #4 A Marine's wife life is never certain so make your self a oh crap emergency move plan lol
    My ex would not agree with your slogan "Once A Marine Wife, Always A Marine Wife"...she split with Jody (boyfriend) halfway through my 12 month unaccompanied tour on Okinawa...occupational hazard

sounds like a bunch of grumpy old marines talking. taylorwebb everything in the corps changes but dont let that get to you. its true what you read be flexible and ready to sacrice. sounds crapy but dont let that get to you. there is a lot out there for military wives. your marine is going to be busy. you do the same...USO, church groups, marine wives assoc and much much more.

Credits
    Savings
    Put a positive spin on it darlin
    New challenges and opportunities daily
    You need to be good with back up plans adjust adapt overcome

Your support will make the differance

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorWebb View Post
    My fiance is joining the Marine Corps, He ships out 20110509 but his job has changed 3 times in the last few weeks. He went from MP to Intel and now is back at MP. When it was first MP he was told he would deploy normal etc nothing crazy. When it swapped to MP they told him it was a better choice because MP's deploy twice as much and many other negative things about MP's. Now that it has swapped again his recruiter has changed the story. Can anyone enlighten me on the truth?? We are making wedding plans and I am getting tired of the wish-washiness about the whole situation!

Any help is greatly appreciated and a big thank you to anyone who responds with advice.
    On a much happier note, I will tell you that I married my wife when she was 17 years old and she stuck with me my whole career and backed/supported me all during my 20 years. We have now been married for 55 years. We are living proof that not all Marines end up divorced. Had a lot of tough times, but Marines and their wifes know how to survive. No where in life does it say that everything is Peaches and Creme.

Credits
    Savings
    Old Marine
    Has similarities
    Married 1969
    She put up with me and the Corps
    Still married to the best thing that ever happened to me

Thankful she stayed strong through some tough times

Right now I'm unemployed at 64 hrs young and she's my rock

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    On a much happier note, I will tell you that I married my wife when she was 17 years old and she stuck with me my whole career and backed/supported me all during my 20 years. We have now been married for 55 years. We are living proof that not all Marines end up divorced. Had a lot of tough times, but Marines and their wifes know how to survive. No where in life does it say that everything is Peaches and Creme.

Same here Gunny, my wife and I made it through my twenty as well. And there are a lot of tough times. She added up I was gone for nearly 4 years during which time she held it all together

It takes a special woman to be a military spouse

Taylor, the phrase I'll leave you with is adapt and over come.

Good luck to the both of you

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Semper Gumby..... Always Flexable....

Quote Originally Posted by USMCJUMPDIVE View Post
    sounds like a bunch of grumpy old marines talking. taylorwebb everything in the corps changes but dont let that get to you. its true what you read be flexible and ready to sacrice. sounds crapy but dont let that get to you. there is a lot out there for military wives. your marine is going to be busy. you do the same...USO, church groups, marine wives assoc and much much more.
    I'll give you grumpy...the rules on this site require you to:

1. Complete your profile.

2. Use proper grammar (capitlization, spelling, etc.; you are NOT texting your buds here).

3. Capitalize the words Marine and Marine Corps (which is proper English anyway...check the dictionary).

Now, get yourself squared-away (if you don't want to get extracted out of here).

You all can paint Taylor a rosey picture if you want to. There are plenty of outstanding facets of being a spouse in the USMC and I truely wish her the best (she absolutely deserves it). At the same time, she asked for advice and deserves to be told the bad along with the good. If she does not want the perspective of a 22 year career Marine she should have said so but she didn't. When I was a young hard-charging Devil Dog, I didn't want to listen to my senior staff NCO's either. But, I learned (the hard way), for the most part, they knew what they were talking about and I should've listened more. If anybody sincerely believes the USMC cares about her wedding plans and will adjust its schedule to accommodate hers tell her that...I want to see who would say something like that.

Thread Information