Worried soon to be wife! :( - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    My ex would not agree with your slogan "Once A Marine Wife, Always A Marine Wife"...she split with Jody (boyfriend) halfway through my 12 month unaccompanied tour on Okinawa...occupational hazard
    A lot of people wouldn't agree with my slogan but a lot of people think it's easy being a Marine wife. Marines live through hard times and good times but a grumpy Marine = grumpy husband. It's takes love for your spouse and respect for the Marine Corps. You may not love the Marine Corps but you MUST respect it. I will say that in the end I loved it but there were times I hated it, but I have learned you can hate it all you want, but if you honestly love your spouse you must respect the Marine Corps since it is his life, you jut get to be apart of it.

My ex would not agree with your slogan "Once A Marine Wife, Always A Marine Wife"...she split with Jody (boyfriend) halfway through my 12 month unaccompanied tour on Okinawa...occupational hazard

sounds like a winner

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Before we got married I explained the best I could what being a military spouse would be like. No amount of preparation will suffice. It's like being a parent, no manual you just do it and hope down the line the effort was worth it

When the ceremony was over and we walked through the crossed sabers and my best man swatted my wife on her butt with his saber and said "Welcome to the Navy, Mrs O'Shea" She knew she was joining the Navy, it wasn't the other way around

Be supportive and prepare yourself for it. It won't be easy. But if this is what you want, you'll make it work. Good luck.

Marine Spouse Free Member TaylorWebb's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks! He is is boot right now and it's definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be! I miss him but I know hes doing this for u and his country Thanks for your advice!

My husband was an MP for all 4 years he served. He was a Garrison MP(not in the feild) and he did not deploy at all during his service. If you have any questions about being married to an MP let me know!!

For all the spouses out there, how hard is it to have your own career? I'm in a serious relationship with a guy who's scheduled for OCS to become a JAG (lawyer) this fall. The thing is, I'm not 17. I'm almost 30, and we graduated law school at the same time. I am going to be a lawyer, too.

Moving unpredictably is pretty awkward for anything but a SAHM. Do spouses get jobs on base? Off-base? Has anyone managed to get meaningful professional experience while married to a man who is married to the Marines?

I "get" his service and what he's trying to accomplish, and I certainly am capable of being a supportive and understanding teammate for him. What I don't see is whether my whole career gets put on "hold" while he's in the service. Is the only useful role for me keeping the homefires burning and packing up his stuff every time they tell us we have to move?

Thanks,

~E

Well you seem to have the world against you on this one. It's not as bad as they're making it out to be. So take a breath, and take most of it with a grain of salt. You're getting married to an MP Marine, not a Delta Force Operator. I spent about half a year with the MP's on base before I got out, and IT WAS THE LIFE. Great hours, and so easy. I talked to a few guys and you basically have to WANT to deploy if you an MP. They had guys getting out after four years without ever having deployed, that kind of crap was unheard of to me, but it was true. I could'nt WAIT to get out, but after my time with the MP, I actually tried to reinlist. Sadly...or luckily they weren't allowing LAT moves. So now I'm a civilian. But again, MP is a pretty nice gig. So I hope it goes through. GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
    For all the spouses out there, how hard is it to have your own career? I'm in a serious relationship with a guy who's scheduled for OCS to become a JAG (lawyer) this fall. The thing is, I'm not 17. I'm almost 30, and we graduated law school at the same time. I am going to be a lawyer, too.

Moving unpredictably is pretty awkward for anything but a SAHM. Do spouses get jobs on base? Off-base? Has anyone managed to get meaningful professional experience while married to a man who is married to the Marines?

I "get" his service and what he's trying to accomplish, and I certainly am capable of being a supportive and understanding teammate for him. What I don't see is whether my whole career gets put on "hold" while he's in the service. Is the only useful role for me keeping the homefires burning and packing up his stuff every time they tell us we have to move?

Thanks,

~E
    As a spouse of an active duty member of the military, each time you PCS you will have "spouse preference" for DOD employment.... this is to include legal work. However... you will have to invest in bar exams in each state you move to, at least from what I understand. USAJOBS is a great site to search during times of PCS. Your career will probably, definitely, have bumps along the way, but a lot of employers love military spouses and will go out of their way to hire them.

I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorWebb View Post
    Thanks! He is is boot right now and it's definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be! I miss him but I know hes doing this for u and his country Thanks for your advice!
    Wow, I'm 20 miles from you, in Bogalusa. Really is a small world!

new wife

Hello all I am new to being a wife let alone one to the corps I read what u all have posted but it don't stop me from being worried about things any advice on this please

My parents were married 53+ yr. when Daddy passed away in 1996. Daddy was in USCG for 23 yr. retiring in 1964. I know it wasn't easy on Mom cause I can remember her saying; "Why can't you be around when something goes wrong?", but she was always there when Daddy needed her. It's a LOT of give and take, but by all means Stand by your man!!

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by KrissyCopeland View Post
    Hello all I am new to being a wife let alone one to the corps I read what u all have posted but it don't stop me from being worried about things any advice on this please

All you have to remember is that he loves you and will do everything he can to come back to you, it'll be hard the entire time he is in the Corps but as long as you support him and stand behind him, you will find that you are also supporting yourself.

The only thing that you should beware of is if you start to fee bad for yourself you will become depressed, and that will make things much worse. Make sure you keep busy, the worry will keep you down. HANG OUT with your friends and cherish every moment you have with him.

Mushy I know, but I wish I knew this and didnt have to learn from experience. Hope that helps!

Thread Information