Another question about reserves
Create Post

Another question about reserves

I switched over to the reserves for college, but because of circumstances at home with my mother it will not happen. I got accepted to college, but the financial part, she refuses to help out with the paper work. But this is all pointless to talk about! Anyway, I'm trying to switch back to active and I'm having trouble.

My recruiter and the RSS boss have told me they first need to find a replacement for my Reserve MOS. And I was also told by my recruiter that I could search for it too but no one in my town is looking to join lol and I'm no recruiter I don't have those skills to persuade them.

If I am unable to switch over and I know once I go to bootcamp, MCT, and MOS that I will have no where to stay. My mom plans on giving me the boot at 18 which is fine, but I didn't know if reservists get allowance to stay in an apartment or house. I know reserve drill is sh*t pay...But if I cant switch over I guess I'll have to find a job around my area.

Also, is that true that I do have to find a replacement for my reservist job first? Shouldn't they be able to let me switch and just deal with that themselves ?

Thanks,

Poolee McDonald

They can't force you to do **** until you go to boot camp, so do what you gotta do. But if you do go reserve side save your money. If you can get a couple months rent you can live when you get back. Now if she won't help you with the direct loan stuff i believe you can go to the court house and completely emancipate yourself. Allowing you to apply for a pell grant and direct loan by yourself. Having no real income you will get a high pell grant. Now also the reserve GI bill will give you some 300 dollars a month.

Yes, once I'm 18 I have no need for her information and will get help. Going with my bestfriend to bootcamp coming back around the same time but im requestion reserve-active or something like that ASAP. But I just want to head out 85 more days haha

Tmac73. I joined from Beverly too back in '97. What MOS are you going to be and what unit are you joining?

My MOS is field radio operator. My base is going to be Fort Devans and my bosses card says 25th Marine Regiment but not sure if thats my unit haha...so I have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac73 View Post
    I switched over to the reserves for college, but because of circumstances at home with my mother it will not happen. I got accepted to college, but the financial part, she refuses to help out with the paper work. But this is all pointless to talk about! Anyway, I'm trying to switch back to active and I'm having trouble.

My recruiter and the RSS boss have told me they first need to find a replacement for my Reserve MOS. And I was also told by my recruiter that I could search for it too but no one in my town is looking to join lol and I'm no recruiter I don't have those skills to persuade them.

If I am unable to switch over and I know once I go to bootcamp, MCT, and MOS that I will have no where to stay. My mom plans on giving me the boot at 18 which is fine, but I didn't know if reservists get allowance to stay in an apartment or house. I know reserve drill is sh*t pay...But if I cant switch over I guess I'll have to find a job around my area.

Also, is that true that I do have to find a replacement for my reservist job first? Shouldn't they be able to let me switch and just deal with that themselves ?

Thanks,

Poolee McDonald
    They do have to find a replacement first. There are more people that want to join the reserves right now than there are spots. Give your recruiter some time, I am sure they will find someone. Also, you don't have to persuade people to join, just give their name and number to your recruiter. Instead of trying to convince them to join, just tell them why YOU joined. That's the best info you can give them.

Just make sure you keep in contact with your recruiter about finding a replacement for you.

I had a young man who wanted me to find a replacement for his reserve job so he could switch to active duty. I found one, then he changed his mind so I wasted a bunch of time and couldn't enlist the guy who wanted to replace him because there were no other reserve jobs available. My point is, let your recruiter know that you are serious about switching to active and he may make it a higher priority.

Don't wait until after your training to switch, because it is a pain in the ass and takes a long time (years). Switching in the delayed entry program is a simple discharge and re-contract at MEPS. Just know that switching to active may change your ship date as well.

Yes, my only problem is the ship date would be switched to January and because of my situation at home I decided to just stay reserves and what not. It'll all work out! thank you

Thread Information