Advice to wannabes
Create Post

Advice to wannabes

If you're planning on enlisting and entering into the Delayed Entry Program but you can't because you're underage, wait until you're a Poolee before attending PT sessions or Pool Functions. Why?

1. Any IST score you attain will give you a mental note for what you need to improve on, but if you're 16 like I was when I started going to pool functions, it will mean nothing because:

a) The recruiters could care less if you fail or not because they won't record your score.
    b) You still have about a year until you go to RT.

2. The longer you're in the DEP, the likelier you are to get apathetic, leading to you:

a) Getting unmotivated
    b) Getting out of shape
    c) Forgetting knowledge

I was far more motivated when I wasn't a Poolee then when I DEP'ed in simply because by the time I went to MEPS, I had already been going to Functions for six months. In the first part of my senior year, I was a complete motard and I'd go to my RSS every day efter school and do pull-ups, watch USMC movies, and talk to any Marines/ Poolees who happened to be in the office. This got old after six months. When I became a Poolee, I was just going through the motions. I went from getting fantastic IST scores, studying my handbook like the Bible, and being Guide, to being just a good Poolee.

3. You'll get in the habit of being a professional Poolee. I think every Poolee will agree with me when I say that no one wants to be in the DEP. We all want to be Marines. That is why we signed up.

My advice:

If you're a junior in high school and you're thinking about joining the DEP, wait until you actually enlist before participating with your local RSS. God forbid you're a sophomore (which we have PT'ing with us), for if that's the case, you shouldn't even have a leatherneck account.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I can vouch for the demoto factor. 9 months in the DEP kinda striped any i had. i used to be a motard and now im lazy and skip pt. lol bad habits being a professional poolee

I always see Poolees chillin and hanging out at the RS wearing moto stuff and being all hyped up. I don't buy it.....maybe because I don't think my Recruiter is a God or one of the homies, its strickly business because he has a job to do and I have a goal to achieve.

I usually am motivated when I hit better scores or see more toning of my body but thats it ALSO with thinking about certain aspects of me being in the Corps.

I hardly ever go to organized PT but I work out by myself at the Navy gym and around my area so it's all good. I've PT'd but really dont get into it at times. Some of the youngins get on my nerves with their coolness so I just choose not to go but if I have to I go I go run, hop, jump, sweat, etc. and get out of there.

Guess you can say I'm the lone star of the group but with a full time job, household duties, bills, girlfriend, and helping with my Grandma around her house I don't have the time to go run a mile then play touch football, dont get me wrong its fun and all but I like to enjoy my weekends off while policing my grandmas yard or doing other things that I don't want to do but I do it for her.

I think on November 13th 2011 I will be the most Moto I've ever been then on November 14th 2011 I will wonder WTF I was thinking. Haha.

I'll probably be nervous as hell but so pumped up that it will feel like I can run 24 miles no stop.

I can't wait to be standing outside with the 90% humidity when the temp is 90 which makes it FEEL LIKE 100+ saying in my head, "I could be at work getting paid in the AC but I'm standing outside in this ****in heat getting yelled at while waiting for lunch chow to come along because I'm hungry as ****.....I wonder what is for chow? I wonder what I'll write in my letter tonight......I got alot of **** to complain about this time.......damn I'm horny as a *****......wonder how I can rub one out in this ***** without getting caught......why is this mother ****er still in my face?......I cant wait to get back to buy a new ****ing car lord knows I want that G8.......my knees are starting to hurt.....when are we going to actually do something......**** its hot.....I smell like **** because of this sweat......I hope we have something sweet to eat at chow.......I wonder what everybody is doing at home? Do they miss me yet.....probably not......Why does my car burn up 90 bucks worth of gas in a week? Should I let this fart out? Imma ease it out....there we go.......*Says Aye Aye Sir and sprints to chow hall*

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    I'll probably be nervous as hell but so pumped up that it will feel like I can run 24 miles no stop.

I can't wait to be standing outside with the 90% humidity when the temp is 90 which makes it FEEL LIKE 100+ saying in my head, "I could be at work getting paid in the AC but I'm standing outside in this ****in heat getting yelled at while waiting for lunch chow to come along because I'm hungry as ****.....I wonder what is for chow? I wonder what I'll write in my letter tonight......I got alot of **** to complain about this time.......damn I'm horny as a *****......wonder how I can rub one out in this ***** without getting caught......why is this mother ****er still in my face?......I cant wait to get back to buy a new ****ing car lord knows I want that G8.......my knees are starting to hurt.....when are we going to actually do something......**** its hot.....I smell like **** because of this sweat......I hope we have something sweet to eat at chow.......I wonder what everybody is doing at home? Do they miss me yet.....probably not......Why does my car burn up 90 bucks worth of gas in a week? Should I let this fart out? Imma ease it out....there we go.......*Says Aye Aye Sir and sprints to chow hall*
    .........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is exactly what I needed to read.

Credits
    Savings
    I think the given advice is terrible, no disrespect.

The Marine Corps isn't just something you suddenly get "burnt out" on, in my opinion. You may get tired of the incredibly long wait you have to make it to boot camp when you watch several others come back each week having earned the title Marine but never burnt out.

I was 16 when I started working with the Marine Corps. I wasn't graduating High School and I knew that, making me a Recruiter's worst nightmare. I left High School when I was 16 and continued working with the my local recruiter's for the last 3 years. In January of this year, I DEP'd in and I now leave for Boot Camp in 6 days. I never once became Unmotivated, Out of Shape, or Forgot my knowledge to an extreme extent.

I advise anyone that wants to be a Marine, at any age that you feel your ready to talk seriously about it, go talk to a Recruiter. If they think your ready to go to PT and work with them and you can find the time to do it while keeping your grades up in school, make it happen.

What drives me to not be unmotivated and not being just a "good" poolee is always competing and setting the bar for others. It kills me to see people show up to PT that don't want to work. Especially when they're not actually DEP'd in yet. We could cut our RS's numbers in half if we took out those Private Pyles.

Anyway, rambling. Stay motivated and push for the title. It's you against everyone.

I talked to my Recruiter today and he told me they are contracting high school Juniors now for Active Duty!! So look forward to seeing alot of younger Poolee around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwell916 View Post
    I think the given advice is terrible, no disrespect.

The Marine Corps isn't just something you suddenly get "burnt out" on, in my opinion. You may get tired of the incredibly long wait you have to make it to boot camp when you watch several others come back each week having earned the title Marine but never burnt out.

I was 16 when I started working with the Marine Corps. I wasn't graduating High School and I knew that, making me a Recruiter's worst nightmare. I left High School when I was 16 and continued working with the my local recruiter's for the last 3 years. In January of this year, I DEP'd in and I now leave for Boot Camp in 6 days. I never once became Unmotivated, Out of Shape, or Forgot my knowledge to an extreme extent.

I advise anyone that wants to be a Marine, at any age that you feel your ready to talk seriously about it, go talk to a Recruiter. If they think your ready to go to PT and work with them and you can find the time to do it while keeping your grades up in school, make it happen.

What drives me to not be unmotivated and not being just a "good" poolee is always competing and setting the bar for others. It kills me to see people show up to PT that don't want to work. Especially when they're not actually DEP'd in yet. We could cut our RS's numbers in half if we took out those Private Pyles.

Anyway, rambling. Stay motivated and push for the title. It's you against everyone.
    No one is supposed to be in the DEP for more than a year. I wonder why.

Yeah I'm going to have to completely disagree with this too... Go to PT as soon as you get serious about joining. Sure the scores won't mean anything, but you'll be getting in shape. I was an applicant for 14 months before becoming a poolee which I have been for 2 because of education issues (GED). I'm still just as motivated as my first day, I am in WAY better shape than when I started, I know my knowledge pretty well and still highly moto. Trust me, it's better for you in the long run if you start training early. At our RSS, we have a few applicants that are so young they had to have their parents sign papers saying they can train with us, they still have years left until they can DEP, BUT, they are getting closer and closer to a 300 PFT.

I've been a poolee for about 9 months and haven't lost motivation. Although, i've only been to like 3 poolee events haha i'm an athlete and a motard I love PT and PT almost everyday just need some motivation to do it its possible no reason to not go to Poolee functions...shouldnt come from my mouth haha but I'm going to more now that i'm done with school

I PT alone just because theres so many moto people that try to **** on me that havent even dep'ed in yet at our RS lol and theres a couple reservist Marines that go to my gym so i like those guys better anyways

Thread Information