Switching your MOS
Create Post

Switching your MOS

I am shipping out on Memorial Day 20110530, less than 2 weeks away. My recruiter gave me the option to take 35xx and ship early, so I did because at the time I was on an open contract waiting for a 03xx spot to open up. I've heard good and bad things about 35xx. I want to deploy as soon as I can. I was wondering how long it takes to switch from 35xx to 03xx, and also would I go back to SOI, ITB or anything like that. Thanks for your time.

You will have to reenlist and yes you will go thru ITB if your Lat move package is approved. It isnt like you can change your mind one day and switch jobs. I have never personally seen a person lat move without doing it in conjunction with reenlistment but I have seen them try and get shot down.

Ok thank you Corporal. I knew it would take a while. Do you have any advice on whether to stick with Motor T or try and go Infantry?

Im not either MOS so I cannot tell either way. I know infantry can be hard on families but so can any MOS that deploys alot. Just dont loose your mind once you hit the fleet and do things as quickly as possible while still doing a good job and you will be just fine.

Chucktown. When I went through boot back in 04 they allowed Open Contract Marines to choose the 03 occ field about 2 weeks before bootcamp graduation. We also had POG's that checked into SOI east and upon getting to the admin check in (Where you are assigned MCT for POGs and ITB for grunts) they asked if they could go through ITB and were approved right there on the spot.

OR... you can tell your recruiter your not shipping until he gets the job you want which is what I would recommend. The Marine Corps doesn't own you until your 2nd swear in at MEPS the morning you ship. So I would highly recommend getting the job you want.

Plus being an 03 is awesome!

Also I have been a grunt for 7 yrs. My girlfriend is a SSgt and she is the Motor T Chief at her unit. She would recommend NOT going Motor T and I would RECOMMEND going 03. Good luck

Thank ya'll for the advice. I'm not gonna hold out for 03 because I am so excited about shipping early, but I will look into 03 down the road. Appreciate your time and thanks for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktown1775 View Post
    Thank ya'll for the advice. I'm not gonna hold out for 03 because I am so excited about shipping early, but I will look into 03 down the road. Appreciate your time and thanks for your service.
    Do as you wish... But I am seriously trying to give you some good advice. You WILL be a marine... but will you be a good marine happy with your job or will you be miserable hating life for four years and not give a 2nd enlistment a chance. You really should put a lot of thought into this and not just want to run off to boot camp. They never promised you a rose garden (Old recruiting poster) and it WILL NOT be if you hate your job.

My recruiter is Motor T and I have talked to him about it before. I don't think I will HATE it or anything. I'm stoked to drive military vehicles like MRAPs and even if I get mechanic its always been a goal of mine to learn to fix engines and work on cars and trucks. So hopefully I won't be that disappointed in 35xx. I really do appreciate you looking out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktown1775 View Post
    My recruiter is Motor T and I have talked to him about it before. I don't think I will HATE it or anything. I'm stoked to drive military vehicles like MRAPs and even if I get mechanic its always been a goal of mine to learn to fix engines and work on cars and trucks. So hopefully I won't be that disappointed in 35xx. I really do appreciate you looking out for me.
    No problem man just looking out for the new guys. I hate hearing boots tell me how their recruiters lied and ****ed them... Keep in mind your recruiter is Motor T and he is a recruiter you are a number to him so he will amp it up. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. My GF has been in since 2001 and is Motor T too... so if you have questions I can ask her for the stuff I am not familiar with.

Can't thank you enough. I will definitely come to you if I have any more questions before I ship and hope to stay in touch after boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Marinefelon View Post
    No problem man just looking out for the new guys. I hate hearing boots tell me how their recruiters lied and ****ed them... Keep in mind your recruiter is Motor T and he is a recruiter you are a number to him so he will amp it up. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. My GF has been in since 2001 and is Motor T too... so if you have questions I can ask her for the stuff I am not familiar with.
    I am an NCOIC with a Recruiting Sub-Station in the 1MCD. I am coming to the end of a successful tour on Recruiting Duty and I take serious offense to "...he is a recruiter and you are a number to him..." comment.

This is absolutely not the case. Remember Marinefelon, I am a Marine on Recruiting Duty, not a Recruiter on Marine Duty. Just as the 10% exists within the FMF, it exists out here as well. To broadly summarize and lump all Recruiters in with that statement is absolutely heinous.

What matters most to us on the streets is taking care of our Pool and Making Marines. I would absolutely love to give every future Marine the MOS they desire. Over half of my future Marines want to be the trigger pullers and door kickers. It's the bread and butter of who we are as Marines. It's what people think of first when they think of the Marine Corps. However, there is only 30,000 active infrantrymen in our Corps today. So, do you think it's possible to make 50 Poolees Infantry/Recon? Absolutely not... We, as recruiters, in this Sub-Station don't talk about jobs. It's Marine first, MOS second. We never "amp up" jobs to make things sound better than they are. I have forged strong bonds with family members of Marines I have put in the Corps as well as members of the community by Integrity and not "sugarcoating" what we do. If you had a bad experience with your Recruiter, I appologize for that however, we strive to make quality citizens into U.S. Marines, not make numbers and contract Poolees, that is irrelevant.

Don't let a bad experience or that "stigma" taint you. Don't let it allow you to paint a sour picture of Recruiters to these young men that desire to walk the same path you have choose.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyFungus View Post
    I am an NCOIC with a Recruiting Sub-Station in the 1MCD. I am coming to the end of a successful tour on Recruiting Duty and I take serious offense to "...he is a recruiter and you are a number to him..." comment.

This is absolutely not the case. Remember Marinefelon, I am a Marine on Recruiting Duty, not a Recruiter on Marine Duty. Just as the 10% exists within the FMF, it exists out here as well. To broadly summarize and lump all Recruiters in with that statement is absolutely heinous.

What matters most to us on the streets is taking care of our Pool and Making Marines. I would absolutely love to give every future Marine the MOS they desire. Over half of my future Marines want to be the trigger pullers and door kickers. It's the bread and butter of who we are as Marines. It's what people think of first when they think of the Marine Corps. However, there is only 30,000 active infrantrymen in our Corps today. So, do you think it's possible to make 50 Poolees Infantry/Recon? Absolutely not... We, as recruiters, in this Sub-Station don't talk about jobs. It's Marine first, MOS second. We never "amp up" jobs to make things sound better than they are. I have forged strong bonds with family members of Marines I have put in the Corps as well as members of the community by Integrity and not "sugarcoating" what we do. If you had a bad experience with your Recruiter, I appologize for that however, we strive to make quality citizens into U.S. Marines, not make numbers and contract Poolees, that is irrelevant.

Don't let a bad experience or that "stigma" taint you. Don't let it allow you to paint a sour picture of Recruiters to these young men that desire to walk the same path you have choose.

SSgt,

First of all let me apologize. We came in the Marine Corps at a different time and I realize that. During the push and military beef up for the war is when I came in. So numbers were HUGE and we as a country NEEDED numbers. I know not all recruiters are bad, mine was actually awesome. My dad trained him before my dad retired from MEPS. So I had a silver spoon if you will walking into the Marine Corps.

I guess I should have worded it is more like this: Every poolee is VERY motivated otherwise they would be in a sister-service recruiting station or doing something else. I just want a future Marine who is having questions to be as well informed as I can make him. NCO creed SSgt, I take it as every marine, poolee, and future candidate should be taken in under your wing and given the best advice possible with the knowledge you have from your experiences in the Marine Corps.

I know since the establishment of our corps there have been times where quantity was the mission over quality. I am NOT on recruiting duty now, however I see our Max strength is met and Quality is the mission. I am not saying we put a grand number of ****bags in but as you well know they slip in here and there.

No offense was meant by that. And on another note we are proud to be Marines you and I both or we wouldn't have done it this long. And if you stay in your Occ field long enough to be a recruiter you probably don't hate it (or you would have lat moved instead of B-billeting) So his recruiter is probably proud of what he does for the Marine Corps, as he should be. I do harbor that grunt mentality though (and you know what I mean, we will leave it at that)

Semper Fi Ssgt.

Life as a Grunt

To answer the original question about lat moving....after 4 years of watching the grunts humping 20+ miles with a pack you will be extremely happy to be driving a vehicle. I will bet that once your enlistment is us and someone asks you if you still want to join the infantry you will say hell no. Being an infantryman has perks: your knees will go after about 10 years, your back another couple years after that. You will attend memorial services for many of your friends throughout your career. You will sleep on the ground and eat MREs in some s**thole country, while other Marines get cots and hot chow. While some Marines may work 9-5 Monday thru Friday, you will stand post, hike, pt, and go to the field for weeks on end. You will spend your own money buying new utilities because the serviceable pair you just bought will get ripped on the concertina wire at range 400. You will go to war and hunt other men. When you return, none of your friends and family will understand anything that you have been thru. If you can handle all that, then lat move to the 03XX field. I am an 0369 and have been an infantryman for 14 years. I absolutely love it. I have been to many schools, met lots of famous high ranking Marines, recieved a few medals and completed a successful tour as a Drill Instructor. My greatest honor was being a squad leader in Iraq. Hope my post helps your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeHands View Post
    To answer the original question about lat moving....after 4 years of watching the grunts humping 20+ miles with a pack you will be extremely happy to be driving a vehicle. I will bet that once your enlistment is us and someone asks you if you still want to join the infantry you will say hell no. Being an infantryman has perks: your knees will go after about 10 years, your back another couple years after that. You will attend memorial services for many of your friends throughout your career. You will sleep on the ground and eat MREs in some s**thole country, while other Marines get cots and hot chow. While some Marines may work 9-5 Monday thru Friday, you will stand post, hike, pt, and go to the field for weeks on end. You will spend your own money buying new utilities because the serviceable pair you just bought will get ripped on the concertina wire at range 400. You will go to war and hunt other men. When you return, none of your friends and family will understand anything that you have been thru. If you can handle all that, then lat move to the 03XX field. I am an 0369 and have been an infantryman for 14 years. I absolutely love it. I have been to many schools, met lots of famous high ranking Marines, recieved a few medals and completed a successful tour as a Drill Instructor. My greatest honor was being a squad leader in Iraq. Hope my post helps your decision.
    I had almost forgotten how much I miss it.

Thread Information