Anglico?
Create Post

Thread: Anglico?

Anglico?

I was looking at ANGLICOs and wanted to know a little more about what they do. I did some research on them but didnt get much. I know they deploy to combat zones, but do they actually fight, or just direct air support? And how hard is it to get into an ANGLICO unit? Thanks for any help I get, I appreciate it.

There are a few routes to ANGLICO. Your best bet is to be an 0861 and hope you get slotted to go to ANGLICO after MOS school or spend some time in the battery and go there on your B-billet. You could chose 0621 and hope you get sent to ANGLICO.

ANGLICO is unlike any other unit in the US military. Our mission is help other militaries request, plan, coordinate, and employ US military resources – close air support, artillery, naval gunfire, medevacs, intelligence, etc. In effect, we help tie them into the US – and primarily the Marine Corps – warfighting network. We do this by sending 4-6 man teams to live, work, and fight alongside our Joint (US Army or Navy), Allied (countries like the UK, Germany, Georiga, Australia, and Korea) and Coalition ( Afghan Narional Army) partners. While we’re helping them gain access to the things they need to be successful in their battles, we are providing our Marine HQ with up to date information on what’s going on with the partner unit – where their subordinate units are, what operations they plan to conduct, etc.

There are five ANGLICOs in the Marine Corps – one each at Camps Lejeune (2d) and Pendleton (1st), one on Okinawa (5th), and two in the Marine Corps Reserve (3d and 4th). The active duty ANGLICOs work for the Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF) Commander and are administratively supported by the MEF Headquarters Group (MHG). The active ANGLICOs were briefly deactivated in the late 1990s and reactivated around 2003. Since 2003 the Companies have established a regular rotation in Iraq and now in Afghanistan, with each active component Company (1st, 2d, and 5th) spending about seven months in Helmand Province before being relieved by one of the two other active ANGLICOs. The majority of our work has been in support of ISAF units inside RCSW but we also supported US Army, Navy Surface Warfare and other Special Operations Units at various times.

Try doing a search on the site. I know this topic has been covered before here on Leatherneck.

The captain above gave you some good and accurate gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by James321 View Post
    I know they deploy to combat zones, but do they actually fight, or just direct air support?
    In most cases, if you ar ein ANGLICO and you have to fire your personal weapon, someone "F"ed up somewhere. In doing your primary job, you will bring much more death and destruction to the battlefield with your radio than you ever will with your rifle.

Oh, ok. Thank you very much, that answered all of my questions. Sry, I tried a search on the website but did'nt find what I was looking for. The only other question I have is this, is ANGLICO fun or do you think it is a good way to go in a military career? Thanks again.

I have not been in an ANGLICO however I PCS in 45 days to 2nd ANGLICO. So of course i've gotten in contact with another Sgt there and gotten some good info.

My Msgt here was there before they were discontinued and re stood up...so his info is a bit old. What I gather from my fellow Sgt is that ANGLICO takes a high pride in it's Marines training. It is a company that falls directly under the MEF and has a BN lvl budget. Which results in all the fancy "Ricky Recon" gear.

There are 5 ANLGICO's 1ST,2NS, AND 5TH ARE ad, 3rd and 4th are Res. I have a SNCO and another Sgt I know personally who were with 1st and they loved it. High speed, real moto, and overall less focus on BS and more on mission accomplishment.

Oh, thats cool. I had done some reading on their training and it looks good and tough. I would also assume that you need to be in top physical condition to get accepted into the unit. Do you know anything about the reserve ANGLICO units, because I would be going to 3rd ANGLICO if I got in?

Actually... a SSgt Cruz who I used to work with here was with 4th I think? The ones in Florida. He told me they get to do a lot of stuff. Especially since they never lost their jump status. He said he did a lot of liaison stuff with foreign military.

Oh, thats cool. I could be wrong but I think that only the reserve units are airborne trained. But active units get other training that reserves don't get.

Active Duty ANGLICOs has from time to time sent Marines and sailors to the BAC. It depends on the mission set you need to support. The jump mission is not as important now with operations in Afghanistan, but that capability still needs be in house. Until the jump mission is back expect a FCT or a SALT to be jump qualified. Either the unit will get slots for an entire SALT or over time enough Marines in the unit are BAC trained. That way enough Marines in the unit are Airborne at any given time to support a Airborne unit. Although a sexy mission it's just another way to get to work. It sucks up training time and to remain proficient you need to jump all the time.

I know that generally it is hard for a reservist to volunteer to go overseas, or so i have been told, but would it be hard for an ANGLICO Marine to volunteer to go on a deployment with another unit as an 0621? Maybe deploy with an Infantry unit, or would that not likely happen?

If you want to deploy you will not have problem. 3rd ANGLICO sends dets to 1st all the time. If you want to deploy, volunteer and you'll be gone before you know it. As far as deploying with a grunt unit I don't know why you would want to. If your in ANGLICO you've got it made. Small team, away from the flagpole, and working with more comm assets than 0621s in infantry battalions.

Thats very true. I would just want to get some experience with a grunt unit. But thats cool how they get special opportunities that other units don't get. I think I'm gonna talk to my recruiter about it. Thank you very much for the information.

Thread Information