Did any of you have this problem?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Did any of you have this problem?

Hello Marines, first off I guess I should state what it is. I recently started my paperwork to get into the DEP and my family has been supportive for the most part (except for my sister running out of the recruiter's office and start crying and then not talk to me for two days) but anyway my mom posted up on facebook that I was signing up and a guy she works with, as a paramedic, posts up this

" WTF !!!!! Not the damn Marines !!!!! I'm 100% for military service but geez,talk some sense into that kid before he signs with the damn JarHeads !!!"

That is his first post here is his next post

"Please, let me reiterate my feelings. I'm prior service Army & and a combat veteran. My fiancé is also prior service Army and serving in the Army Nat'l Guard now. My son & her son are enlisted in the Army with hers in Afghanistan as we spea...k. I am not behind the motives of Washington but I am totally behind the boys with their boots on the front lines. But if you are going to sign up and give your service to your country, shouldn’t you get something out of it too. Let it provide you with an education, a future for a family, a pathway to success later in life. I am not necessarily pro-Army and my beef if not necessarily with the Marines. Any military service is a thousand times better then these fat lazy bastards than want to sit on their couch and ***** about the world around them and do nothing about it. I’m speaking from the other end of the spectrum, 20 years down the road. Yeah, the commercials and movies look awesome and great to a testosterone filled kid coming out of high school but “Marine rifleman that scored Company high on pugo sticks in basic training “doesn’t mean **** on a resume 10-15 years down the road when the kids are hungry and rent is due. If you want an education, join the Air Force. If you want to see the world, join the Navy. If you want to paint your face green and run through the woods and achieve rank and good retirement, join the Army. If you want to guard ships and be the laughing stock of the rest of the armed forces, join the Marines. Now, I’m not your parent, kid. I’m not going to sugar-coat it. That’s the way it is. All those super-awesome Marine commercials they want to show you and tell you how bad-ass you’ll be; First, keep in the back of your mind that that’s the ONLY selling point they have & I’ll go back to an old saying my grandfather said; “You can put a lot of cake icing on a cow-turd. It’ll look pretty but you’ll know exactly what it is when you take your first real bite of it”. Now, that being said, if you still choose the Marines; be as high-speed, low-drag from minute one and be the absolute best the you can
    Hooah (or Oohrah, whichever you choose)."

Which of course bothered me, but seeing as he is an Army guy that apparently just hates the Marine Corps I didn't let it affect me the only problem was my mother posting that she agrees with what he says 100%.

Not meaning to rant or anything I guess I just got pizzed off at what this man had say about the Marine Corps and more so that my mother who claimed to support me in this agreed with him. My mom and dad were both in the Air Force and both had fathers that were in the Marine Corps so they're not anti-military service.

Sorry if this is the wrong section I didn't really know where to post it. Feel free to delete it or remove it if I am in the wrong.

Young man, you want to join the Marine Corps, you join!!! It's your life, not his.
    Guys like him aren't worth arguing with.....I would just simply 'ignore' this turd, and I do know that that may be hard at times, but he has no idea of what it means to be a United States Marine.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sounds as if he couldn't get in the Corps.

BTW what the heck are pugo sticks??? You don't think he means pugil sticks do you????

Don't listen to such drivel. Do what you know is best in your heart.

Good luck to you

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the advice ma'am. I closed out the window a few times so I wouldn't post all the things I wanted to say.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Sounds as if he couldn't get in the Corps.

BTW what the heck are pugo sticks??? You don't think he means pugil sticks do you????

Don't listen to such drivel. Do what you know is best in your heart.

Good luck to you
    Thank you Sir. These posts have definitely helped with ignoring him. Another thing that helped was another one of my mom's friends posted this

"After serving with the Fleet Marines...not by choice, as the Navy provides all their medical care, I have a lot of respect for the Corps. The enlisted went out of their way to take of the "Docs", and showed me more respect than any other branch...particularly the Army. Outside of Navy Seals, Rangers, or Special Forces like the Green Beret, I would want the Marines at my side when hell comes at you."

Some of his comments are just plain ignorant.

The educational opportunities and retirement system are exactly the same in all the services. The fact that we don't guard ships also shows he does not know what he is talking about.

The TV ads for the USMC stress the pride of being a Marine which is very pertinent and not "sugar-coating". It is true they primarily show the Silent Drill Team which is not representative of the Marine Corps as a whole.

I really doubt we are the laughing-stock of the other branches too. I have a niece who is a Chief Petty Officer on the USS Green Bay currently under way in the Pacific. Her ship currently has a Battalion Landing Team of grunts aboard and she talks about how much more professional they are compared to the Navy crew and how much the Marines work as a team. She is so impressed she is researching the history of that BLT. The US Central Command is a joint command comprised of personnel from all the branches and the HQ is located on MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa. During my time as the Security Chief there, I never saw anybody laughing at us (maybe cause they never had the balls). I had Army and Air Force people working for me and my personal opinion is...I would prefer leading Marines any day of the week! Talk about leadership challenges; my blood pressure was up every day dealing with those jokers!! Had to tell myself all the time they were not Marines so I could not expect them to perform/act like Marines. My boss was an Air Force major; don't think he ironed his shirt the two years I worked for him...he never understood my frustrations either.

It's unfortunate your mom listens to the garbage this loser is feeding her. Somehow, she needs to hear the truth (for a change).

Good luck.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the information, Sir.
    I think the only problem with my mom is that she was married to a former Marine who was a real a-hole and it kind of ruined her perspective of the entire Marine Corps.
    Hopefully one day I will be able to change that.

Tennessee Top has given you some very good information. Never in my life have I ever heard that the Marine Corps is the laughing-stock of the other branches. However, quite the contrair I have heard too many times to count that we were the Envy of the others.

As the Top has suggested, the army guy is talking out of total ignorance. If you later choose to not make our Corps your career you will be treated with respect wherever you go and my experience has been that I received jobs over others simply because I had been a Marine (the public likes us).

I was a Marine during Vietnam and in a little over 2 years I became a "Corporal of Marines," with a great deal of responsibility in leading men. As a Marine NCO I had more authority than an army e7 or e8.

Marines are better trained, better disciplined, we have better leadership. We are the warrior elite within this country. I was personally privileged to be a part of at least 2 history making Marine Corps battles, not to mention numerous lessor known engagements.

I have known many army combat veterans; thin ice here. I am not knocking them, let me just say there is a difference between them and Marine Corps combat vets. You'll see.

Simply put, the Marine Corps will transform your life. Our title is earned and not given like the other services. I became a Marine in early 1967 when I graduated, and I'm proud to say I am still a Marine!

This person is obviously speaking from some kind of negative bias and is being completely irrational. Find me one person who would honestly say the Marine Corps is the "laughing stock" of the Armed Forces. One could say we, as Marines, are being bias ourselves. But, as previously stated, there are many false statements in his post. How can anyone in the military think that any of the branches offer better or worse benefits? The only difference is the Air Force has their own "college" you can take classes from. But other than that, it's not like the Army guys are getting paid better than the Marines are. And the fact that he said, "Marine rifleman that scored Company high on pugo sticks in basic training", shows he does not know as much as he thinks he does about the Marine Corps. I do not know how he could possibly believe that the Marine Corps doesn't equip you with skills to take with you throughout your life. I myself am walking proof this statement is false. I'm not bragging, but you don't find very many 26 year-olds who are in the same position I am professionally. I would never be where I am today without the Marine Corps.

Listen, you're making this decision. Research it and come up with your own conclusion. It would be wise to talk with as many people as you can. I even think there is value in listening to opinions like this person. However, you have to use your own judgment and discernment when you're deciding what you believe is the truth. Look into what this person is saying for yourself. The fact that you're coming here for advice shows that you really do want to know all the facts. Listen to what we say, but again, don't take our word for it either.

It's your life. You don't want to be an old man ****ed off at this Army dude because he talked you out of being a Marine when that was truly what you wanted to be.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    This person is obviously speaking from some kind of negative bias and is being completely irrational. Find me one person who would honestly say the Marine Corps is the "laughing stock" of the Armed Forces. One could say we, as Marines, are being bias ourselves. But, as previously stated, there are many false statements in his post. How can anyone in the military think that any of the branches offer better or worse benefits? The only difference is the Air Force has their own "college" you can take classes from. But other than that, it's not like the Army guys are getting paid better than the Marines are. And the fact that he said, "Marine rifleman that scored Company high on pugo sticks in basic training", shows he does not know as much as he thinks he does about the Marine Corps. I do not know how he could possibly believe that the Marine Corps doesn't equip you with skills to take with you throughout your life. I myself am walking proof this statement is false. I'm not bragging, but you don't find very many 26 year-olds who are in the same position I am professionally. I would never be where I am today without the Marine Corps.

Listen, you're making this decision. Research it and come up with your own conclusion. It would be wise to talk with as many people as you can. I even think there is value in listening to opinions like this person. However, you have to use your own judgment and discernment when you're deciding what you believe is the truth. Look into what this person is saying for yourself. The fact that you're coming here for advice shows that you really do want to know all the facts. Listen to what we say, but again, don't take our word for it either.

It's your life. You don't want to be an old man ****ed off at this Army dude because he talked you out of being a Marine when that was truly what you wanted to be.
    Thanks for the advice Sir, I've wanted to be a Marine ever since I went to my Grandfather's funeral and this has not deterred me at all just made me angry and I wanted to see what Marines had to say about this.
    And it's pretty much 100% that I join the DEP, yesterday we submitted all my school information to my recruiter's CO, as I am home schooled, and the enlistment process is a bit different for me but as soon as we here back I will head to MEPS

You will always have someone who will badmouth any decision you make in your life. People tend to do this. I don't even have a good answer of why they do it...but they do. People here have given you some good advice. Sit down in a quiet place....think over what you want to do with your life and the reasons you want to do them. Go back and talk to your parents about your reasons. No outside interference.... just you and your parents. Tell them you have made a decision that is right for you and you know, in your heart, that you have made the correct decision.Tell them you are joining the Corps not only for you...but to honor your grandfathers.

Good luck to you and keep us up to date on how things are going.

But if you are going to sign up and give your service to your country, shouldn’t you get something out of it too
    Yes all you can and then some, and that's interpreted in many ways. And when you get out, apply for benefits if you need them. If not, (many benefits are only available with periodic budget funding) leave those benefits for veterans that have very limited or no choices

Marines have always led the way and will continue to fix the army's mistakes, Semper Fidelis.

I was going to throew my 2 cents in but the Marines already have you taken care of. Me personally I am a financial analyst in the worlds finest. I am working on a B.A in management and once I have that TA will help pay for me to get a Masters. I cant think of a better place I have ever worked and I joined at 24 with several jobs under my belt prior to joining

Did any of you have this problem? Create Post

Listen there crazy. It is simple as this that knucklehead friend of your mother is in his own little world. He can not distinguish the difference from serving in the Marine Corps when compared to the other military services. I once heard a Marine Recruiter (Hardcharging 0311) tell this young lad back in 1987 " You want a challenge and something that you will remember forever join the Marine Corps! If you want to join the boy scouts join the Army." The Marines Corps does not promise you anything! You will earn everything!

Thread Information