Urgent Help Needed at Camp Lejeune
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marines, FMF Corpsmen, MCL Auxiliary, Devil Dogs and Friends of Marines –

As you no doubt are aware, a terrible tornado ripped through Jacksonville, NC this past weekend wreaking havoc on the town and on Camp Lejeune.

We have been informed that the Tarawa Terrace II housing area at Camp Lejeune has been heavily damaged and over 40 Marine families have been displaced or otherwise lost many personal items including food. 100-200 families have been affected by losing power which may be off for some time. The Camp Lejeune ASYMCA and USO Jacksonville has requested donations of baby items (IE - Baby wipes, diapers, food items) ASAP. They really request monetary or gift card donations to area business locations such as Wal-Mart, Food Lion, etc as these can be distributed quickly. Our Marines need us and I know we will help. Please contact Amanda Crompton, at Pioneer Services of Jacksonville, at 910-577-3036 for information on how to make your donations. Marine Corps Commandant General James Amos toured the housing are and held a Town Hall meeting with area volunteer organizations.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those so profoundly affected by this disaster. Let's do all we can to help our fellow Marines and their families. Thank you in advance for your support.

USO of Jacksonville – (910) 455-3411
    Camp Lejeune ASYMCA – (910) 451-9569
    Amanda Crompton @ Pioneer Services – (910) 577-3036. Amanda has contacts with both organizations and can also assist you.

Semper Fidelis -

Vic Voltaggio
    National Commandant
    Marine Corps League

Michael Blum
    National Executive Director
    Marine Corps League

Thank you for sharing that Lisa.

thanks for the telephone #s, i also lived on tt2

Thanks for the info. Will see how I can donate.

Credits
    Savings
    Marines have been helping out at the Piney Green area by the hundreds.
    Where many off base Marines and ret.Marines & civilians live, put in their
    time volunteeing to cleaning up the area. To say it looks like a war zone
    is a understatment, how no one got killed is a miracle. Jacksonville is a
    pretty tight town. Marines and civilians all seem to come together ever
    since Beirut in 1983. The Piney Green area as close to a thousand
    volunteens a day helping out. It will be months before its all cleaned up.

It's been just unreal looking at the devastation here. All I keep thinking of is that night the storm hit and my wife was watching the news telling me that they advised us to "seek shelter", all I said was "we're in a house, that's shelter". I'm thankful that my ignorance to the storm didn't effect my family at all.

I'll be constructing a 'bunker' in the backyard this year.

Marines, FMF Corpsmen, MCL Auxiliary, Devil Dogs and Friends of Marines –

As you no doubt are aware, a terrible tornado ripped through Jacksonville, NC this past weekend wreaking havoc on the town and on Camp Lejeune.

We have been informed that the Tarawa Terrace II housing area at Camp Lejeune has been heavily damaged and over 40 Marine families have been displaced or otherwise lost many personal items including food. 100-200 families have been affected by losing power which may be off for some time. The Camp Lejeune ASYMCA and USO Jacksonville has requested donations of baby items (IE - Baby wipes, diapers, food items) ASAP. They really request monetary or gift card donations to area business locations such as Wal-Mart, Food Lion, etc as these can be distributed quickly. Our Marines need us and I know we will help. Please contact Amanda Crompton, at Pioneer Services of Jacksonville, at 910-577-3036 for information on how to make your donations. Marine Corps Commandant General James Amos toured the housing area and held a Town Hall meeting with area volunteer organizations.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those so profoundly affected by this disaster. Let's do all we can to help our fellow Marines and their families. Thank you in advance for your support.

USO of Jacksonville – (910) 455-3411
    Camp Lejeune ASYMCA – (910) 451-9569
    Amanda Crompton @ Pioneer Services – (910) 577-3036. Amanda has contacts with both organizations and can also assist you.

Both threads merged, it's all good, everyone trying to help our fellow Marines!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Both threads merged, it's all good, everyone trying to help our fellow Marines!
    Thanks Lep.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    It's been just unreal looking at the devastation here. All I keep thinking of is that night the storm hit and my wife was watching the news telling me that they advised us to "seek shelter", all I said was "we're in a house, that's shelter". I'm thankful that my ignorance to the storm didn't effect my family at all.

I'll be constructing a 'bunker' in the backyard this year.
    As I remember living in TTII (2539 Bouganville Dr, TTII) at Camp LeJeune the base housing was just duplexes set on concrete pads. Nowhere to go but a closet or bathtub for protection.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In 1973, I was on patrol as an MP at Montford Point (Camp Johnson to you boots) when a tornado touched down in the base trailer park that was located between Montford Point and the TT housing area.

One trailer was totally blown apart, but luckily no one was home. The trailers on either side only suffered some damage from blown debris. The storm also caused some minor damage in TT.

Tornadoes are so darned unpredictable and dangerous. This tornado was the first one I ever saw in my life, but unfortunately not the last.

I think everyone in need at Lejuene will probably have more help than they can use and the extra can be shared with the civilian community.

Credits
    Savings
    Here is a small video of some damage on piney green about 4 miles from the base.

http://www.jdnews.com/video/c/115520...1/tdn-news-tdn

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce59 View Post
    Here is a small video of some damage on piney green about 4 miles from the base.

http://www.jdnews.com/video/c/115520...1/tdn-news-tdn

Gee, how come those people aren't sitting around waiting for FEMA to come tell them what to do?

A few homes were leveled in the Cherry Point area as well. I saw pictures of roofs missing and cars that had gotten thrown about 100 yards and smashed into pieces. Pretty crazy, I had no idea the extent of the damage until a few days later, luckily the only thing that got destroyed in my neighborhood was my trampoline.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ft. Bragg and surrounding areas has been quite the life challenge as well.

Thread Information