Women in the Reserves
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member Kathryn's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Women in the Reserves

Hi! I'm getting close to 18, and want to enlist in the Marine Corps Reserve. Can't wait but my parents have lots of question.

I'm from Tennessee - how is the unit I will train with once a month selected?

Any female Reservists that could share their experiences?

What happens if my unit deploys?

What are tha chances of doing something other than training once a month and two weeks in the summer during the four years of my enslitment?

Thank you!
    K.

Not a women but can help u fill in the blanks on some of those question.

1.) How is your unit selected? Well you select it. When you go to MEPS for the first time and take your ASVAB you are given a list of jobs available to you. Depending on which job you choose, you go to that unit.

2.) What happens when my unit deploys? Well u will know usually sometime in advanced that sometime soon you may be activated have your affairs in order. Then eventually they will give you a rough date(I got mine about 6 months out). Then a month before the date you will receive a Warning Order in the mail. Then on that date you report in to your drill center. From there you will spend a couple weeks there doing admin and medical work. Then from there you go to ILOC for predeployment traing, then leave, then in country you go.

3.) Chances of doing more then 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. Well they are very good depending on your job. I am a heavy equipment operator so with all the new gear coming in I often come in outside of drill to get licensed. My AT is 3 weeks long and I'm doing humanitarian aid in other countries. Just volunteer.

Marine Friend Free Member Kathryn's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the answer! I'm still hoping to hear from a female reservists. Guess there aren't very many.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
    Thank you for the answer! I'm still hoping to hear from a female reservists. Guess there aren't very many.
    Kathryn

This site may be of some help to you. I'm not sure how it works but it does have forums. Probably very similar to LN, register then have access to data etc

http://www.womenmarines.org/index_main.aspx

If you do reserves, get the most you can from it. Do 6 years and get your college done and get a VA home loan. To get most VA benefits, you need to do 24 months continuous active duty. Like I say, if you do reserves, go for six years active reserves and at least you get some college out of it and a slightly less better rate on a home loan versus someone that did full time active duty.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I sure do wish her luck, as this thread is over THREE years old.

Maybe she'll come back and tell us how her tour went???

Thread Information