Can these issues be waived?
Closed Thread

Can these issues be waived?

Dear Marines,

Well I was going to reply on a previous post but my account wont let me. This is another recruitment question and yes I will go to the recruiter but just to double check, I want to ask here.

I received a dui in summer of 2009, I'm still on summary probation. I also have a brief history of anti-depressants (2-3 months) around the same time, over a year ago. Can these both get waived at the office and/or MEPS?

I have been attending a four-year school for 2 1/2 years with a 3.7 gpa. I took the practice asvab test about a year ago and scored near perfect and was eligible for any position so I'm assuming I can score exceptionally well. Physically I have no history and am a college athlete, are these qualities considered?

All this paints a dreary picture but I can't say it is who I truly am but the truth is, it's all there on paper.

Thanks for you time.

Quote Originally Posted by jwstrauc View Post
    I received a dui in summer of 2009, I'm still on summary probation. I also have a brief history of anti-depressants (2-3 months) around the same time, over a year ago. Can these both get waived at the office and/or MEPS?
    Would be in your best intrest to get off probation first, you cannot enlist while on probation. Second if you're clean, have been clean, and will stay clean it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get a drug waiver. You will be tested by your recruiter and again at MEPS so you better not pop, that will ruin your chances.

There are only a few Marines on recruiting duty or with recruiting experience that frequent this forum. If your question can only be answered by a Marine who is fully aware of current policies, you’ll have to pick up a phone or visit an office.

Also, try doing a search on the site and reading the sticky threads at the top of the Ask A Marine forum. These types of questions have been asked and answered before.

These are things that are typically waived, but currently with the tighter standards your prio use of antidepressants will be looked at a little harder. More than likely after the initial physical at MEPS you will be sent for a PSYCH consult. From that consult and the recomendation you may be deemed qualified or you may have to submit a waiver to higher authority.

As far as the DUI goes, it is something that can be waived at the MEPS level but you do need to complete your probation first. If you state requires that you attend a alcohol assesment then that must also be completed prior to enlistment.

Answered, closed.

Thread Information